Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Anyone tried this one?

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Converter $25 Mini Display to HDMI - Cables & Adapters - DisplayPort Cables & Adapters - High Speed Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable - 6ft - MacFixit Australia - Shop For Apple Macintosh Accessories, Apple Mac Upgrades,

My Samsung tv has a "PC/DVI Audio In" port... it's different to the optical out port... It's the same as appears in this picture - labeled PC IN Audio:

MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Well, apparently the "PC In" audio port on the Samsung LA32B450 32" LCD tv is for a 3.5mm mini din! Never looked like it to me, but it fits... haven't actually tried hooking anything up to test it yet.

Am assuming it's not a magical toslink plug like inside the Macbook... so stereo only.

Thus I'll have to go with USB for 5.1 audio.
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Well, I decided to go ahead and get a MDP to HDMI male-male cable, and then run a 3.5mm mini-din male-male cable for the stereo sound, seems my TV/Amp can't do 5.1 now anyways...

Cost $14.38 from a Hong Kong power seller on eBay. Cable arrived about a week later, and just hooked it up. Works great on my Samsung Series IV LCD tv.

Ready to set up the keyboard and mouse now and see what fun I can have Fiancιe's permission pending of course...

I have successfully hooked my i7 mbp to my 40" Sony Bravia via Mini DisplayPort DP Male to HDMI Male Adapter Cable (1.8M)
    Both video and sound go through fine, just have to remember to switch your sound output to your tv in your sound preference.

edit: Seems like I might have spoken too soon. The video on the TV blinks, not constantly, but sometimes it could be a few random minutes apart.. Any ideas why it's doing that?
    Last edited by ladybugspider; 21st May 2010 at 10:01 PM.

Is there like an 'Eject' button for the cable or is it alright to just put it out when you are done with it?

Got a MBP 13" 2010 and bought a Mini DP to HDMI cable online that says it supports audio over the cable. I plugged it in to my Samsung 46" LCD TV and it doesn't support 1080p. I change it to 1080i @ 50hz and it works fine. Also, there is no audio at any resolution. Is there a particular setting i need to switch on for the audio to work or could i have been tricked into buying the wrong cable?

~edit, due to my incompetence, it's actually just me not setting output to SAMSUNG rather than internal speakers.
    Last edited by hachoo; 12th July 2010 at 06:53 PM.

i have a hdmi cable, so does that mean i just need this

Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support - Apple Store (Australia) ??
    MacBook pro 17" i7, iPhone 4, 32GB
    iPod classic 160GB, iPad wifi only 32GB

ok everything is hooked up and works perfectly, just one last stupid question, how can i close my macbook but still have it displaying on the TV??? lol everytime i close it, it stops everything, is there something in settings ive over looked?

Closed lid mode:

How to get your MB(P) to run with the lid closed - MacNN Forums

You need a keyboard and mouse plugged into the computer, plus it needs the power plugged in. Close the computer. Press a key on the keyboard. Viola.

Or so I've read.

awesome, thanks!

i use the rowmote-app on my iphone, works great for like plex, vlc, recomended

So I brought a 15" MBP i5 (mid 2010 model) off the refurb store and am wondering if this is the cable I need to connect it to my LCD? Wizard Cables - Mini DP to HDMI

I used to use this cable for my old MacBook Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (Australia) and it worked well, just no sound.

Any thoughts?
    20" iMac
    2.4Ghz MacBook Pro i5
    8GB iPhone 3G/16GB iPhone 3GS

I found this site utterly helpful: Connecting your Mac to your HDTV
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

So thats the one I need, everything seems identical. It's go time..
    20" iMac
    2.4Ghz MacBook Pro i5

Ok so the cable arrived today. I plugged it in via the HDMI cable to my Sharp LC-46D77X model TV, and I get no sound or picture at all, the screen on the MBP flashes blue and then nothing? It works perfectly fine on the other Lg in the house?

Really annoying because the sharp is the TV I wanted to use for-sure any ideas appreciated.

Ps the MBP wont even detect the Sharp in Displays. Hmmmm

Thanks
    Leon
    20" iMac
    2.4Ghz MacBook Pro i5

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugspider View Post
    I have successfully hooked my i7 mbp to my 40" Sony Bravia via Mini DisplayPort DP Male to HDMI Male Adapter Cable (1.8M)
    Both video and sound go through fine, just have to remember to switch your sound output to your tv in your sound preference.

edit: Seems like I might have spoken too soon. The video on the TV blinks, not constantly, but sometimes it could be a few random minutes apart.. Any ideas why it's doing that?
    Have you had any more trouble with this cable, it's mighty cheap compared to the alternatives on the Apple online store.
     15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66Ghz | iPhone 5 32GB |  iPad Retina 3rd Generation 32GB Wifi
    Trading feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by cplicious View Post
    Looks like the new macs now support audio through the mini Display port

If you already have an Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter it may not support audio unless its spec'd to the new 1.1a standard for Displayport.

New MacBook Pros support audio over Mini DisplayPort (Updated)
    Is a 27" 2.66GHz QuadCore i5 new enough that the Mini DisplayPort supports audio? BTW I just found the solution IF it doesn't: Kanex iAdapt 51 MDP to HDMI w/ 5.1 Channel Digital Audio
    Last edited by Thripd; 5th September 2010 at 05:52 PM.
    Mmmmm, that new OS smell...

I've been using an mini-port /hdmi adapter and hdmi lead to hook my macbook pro up to my telly. It's worked GREAT, until now! I got a new LG tv, and the set up no longer works? The computer (sometimes) recognises that the LG is hooked up to it, but the LG says "no Signal" can anybody help?

I bought this DealExtreme: $10.41 Mini DisplayPort Male to HDMI Female Adapter (1080p) and although it took a while to get here, it works perfectly fine on my Philips TV with sound and all (although you can't control the sound on the Mac, it has to be done on the TV or in the application)

Quote Originally Posted by iZuloo View Post
    I've been using an mini-port /hdmi adapter and hdmi lead to hook my macbook pro up to my telly. It's worked GREAT, until now! I got a new LG tv, and the set up no longer works? The computer (sometimes) recognises that the LG is hooked up to it, but the LG says "no Signal" can anybody help?
    Try changing the res and frequency like 50Hz or 60Hz and 1080p or 1080i, that might give it a kick along
    MacBook Pro 13" 2010 | 80GB iPod 5.5G

Okay, I've read through the thread and have a couple of comments / questions. I have a 3 months old mac book pro i7. Bought the mini display to hdmi adapter and have it plugged into a 23" philips HD display. Works a treat but I would like to use this (with my apple bt keyboard and mouse) with the lid of the macbook shut. I've tried the instructions on the link in this thread (just close the lid and hit a key or button on the mouse) but this doesn't seem to work.
    Also, when plugging in the macbook to my LG 42" plasma via the hdmi cable, I get no sound. All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast