Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Select mirrored mode rather than extended desktop.
    where do i choose this option mate.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Tick box down the bottom

okay i have got it working now but the whole resolution issue is farking with my head now.

the mac detects it as 1920 1080 and it doesn't look great (annoyed is an understatement)

so what is the fix, my tv is 32" bravia that is 1366 x 768 (from memory) and i don't think that shows up on the list. (still haven't checked the tv is being used)

Quote Originally Posted by 310 View Post
    okay i have got it working now but the whole resolution issue is farking with my head now.

the mac detects it as 1920 1080 and it doesn't look great (annoyed is an understatement)

so what is the fix, my tv is 32" bravia that is 1366 x 768 (from memory) and i don't think that shows up on the list. (still haven't checked the tv is being used)
    I think you can try 1280 by 780....but the top and bottom half of the screen gets cut off. I think there's a solution with SwitchResX but involves alot of trial and error....or alternatively, you can turn overscanning off in your macbook.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinng View Post
    I think you can try 1280 by 780....but the top and bottom half of the screen gets cut off. I think there's a solution with SwitchResX but involves alot of trial and error....or alternatively, you can turn overscanning off in your macbook.
    There's also usually an overscan setting on the TV.

And you might want to check that "1:1" or "just" mode is turned ON for your TV (the different names are used by different manufacturers).

just sticking with 1920 x 1080 for now, it's used fro content rather than p.q anyway.

appreciate all the efforts guys. just need a week off to use this damn mb now.!

Default Call?

Hi.. Everyone here at Mactalk are fantastic on giving help and sharing their opinions. But because this may be abit of a costly exercise you may want to call Apple. 133622 then press 1 and you will be guided to a Customer Service Representative.
    Good Luck and I'm sure you'll love the new Macbook!

Quote Originally Posted by iCarllovesapple View Post
    Hi.. Everyone here at Mactalk are fantastic on giving help and sharing their opinions. But because this may be abit of a costly exercise you may want to call Apple. 133622 then press 1 and you will be guided to a Customer Service Representative.
    Good Luck and I'm sure you'll love the new Macbook!
    ^ you must work for apple? Surely!

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

By the look of his user pic, he'd be too young to work for anybody. iCarllovesapple - is there any factually wrong information provided here? Anecdotal evidence and advice from MacTalkers who have actually done this before will likely be better than an Applecare rep spouting IO compatabilities and remembering theory.

AS for sound, surely you can just plug in your stereo system with a jack to the computer? We had a separate set of speakers with woofer, etc which plugged straight into our laptop. I found that choosing 4:3 gave me about the best picture on our 50" LCD but perhaps it's subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by patcanuck View Post
    AS for sound, surely you can just plug in your stereo system with a jack to the computer? We had a separate set of speakers with woofer, etc which plugged straight into our laptop. I found that choosing 4:3 gave me about the best picture on our 50" LCD but perhaps it's subjective.
    audio is easy. running toslink/optical cable from mac to Harman Kardon D.Rec.

it's video that is the issue.

but i actually think this is the point of the forum, discuss, share knowledge,community etc.. sure beats the real world!

thanks again to all, i just need some time to use this thing now.

sidenote, would using my lcd tv (sony bravia) with say, a macbook pro, daily for quite heavy computer usage (surfing the net, leaving it on to download) good for the tv itself? ot would it reduce the life of the tv and/or increase the chances of the lcd tv breaking down such as overheating etc etc.

i heard different lcd tv lifespans from different tv salespeople. obviously when i was buying my tv, they wanted to sell it and 'push up' the lifespan. therefore getting some unbias input from people who know about tv would be appreciated!

Got this happening with the single link DVI to mini displayport adapter to my HD plasma via a DVI to HDMI cable I had around. Getting a nice clear 1920x1080 picture and great audio to my AVR via mini toslink adapter!

Hi All.

I have a bit of an issue so I hope one of you could please shed some light. I have just purchased today the mini display port to dvi adaptor, dvi to hdmi cable and of course the 3.5mm to toslink cable. Now, my alu macbook detects my Sony 46X3100 at the correct resolution (1920 x 1080) and full screen BUT when I change to mirror mode, I have black bars on the side and it changes from 1080p to 1080i

I would prefer mirror mode as then I don't have to drag the screens over when I play dvd's etc, but it is annoying it not being full screen

Any ideas? Thanks!

Hey Alicia

When you have it on mirror mode, try playing around with the resolution's on your macbook to see if you can find a resolution that will get rid of the black strips on the TV.....
    15" MBP UniBody | 27" Cinema Display | Mac Mini UniBody 2010 | iPad 64GB 4G White | iPad 2 64GB 3G White | iPad 64GB 3G | iPhone 4S 64GB White | iPhone 4 32GB White | iPhone 3GS 32GB White

Quote Originally Posted by 310 View Post
    but i actually think this is the point of the forum, discuss, share knowledge,community etc.. sure beats the real world!

thanks again to all, i just need some time to use this thing now.
    Talk about coincidence. Since first coming across your thread I've just been given a new aluminium macbook for Xmas. Now I too have exactly the same problem with connecting it to the tv since my older macbook used a different cable.
    My turn to thank you for asking exactly the question I was about to pose.

If it's the unibody, then you'd need to get the DVI to Mini-DisplayPort adapter (from memory, ~$45 from Apple), and possibly grab a DVI-to-HDMI cable (assuming that your TV uses a HDMI connection only.

And the setup would be:

(MacBook) == <MDP-to-DVI adapter> -- <DVI-to-HDMI cable> -- (TV via HDMI port)

Hope this helps!

ok so i have been reading through this thread and will order the new macbook in a week or 2, my current tv, samsung 26" lcd has optical digital audio out, hdmi in, component and audio in etc, now i know i will need mini dp to dvi, hdmi to dvi but what would be best for audio? and where would i plug it in, eg where does it go into macbook and where would it best go into tv?

would mini dp to vga be better? in terms of sound plus video resolution or should i go for the hdmi plus audio option for optimum performance
    Imac 20" Aluminium 2Ghz 1Gb Ram 250HDD
    Mac Mini 2.0Ghz 1GB Ram 120Gb HDD
    Macbook 1.83Ghz 2GB ram 80HDD
    iphone 3G 16GB Black (Virgin)

Use Mini DP to DVI then DVI to HDMI for video.
    For audio just standard audio cables work from the headphone port (audio out) to a receiver (in my case). I'm not too familiar with TVs but that's how I have it set up on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by led-zep View Post
    ok so i have been reading through this thread and will order the new macbook in a week or 2, my current tv, samsung 26" lcd has optical digital audio out, hdmi in, component and audio in etc, now i know i will need mini dp to dvi, hdmi to dvi but what would be best for audio? and where would i plug it in, eg where does it go into macbook and where would it best go into tv?

would mini dp to vga be better? in terms of sound plus video resolution or should i go for the hdmi plus audio option for optimum performance
    DVI = Digital
    HDMI = Digital
    VGA = Analog
    DisplayPort = Digital
    Optical = Digital

Hopefully that's clear enough for you to realise what is good and what isn't.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast