Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My standard advice for audio gear is the buy the best you can afford, with the caveat that if the better one does sound the $ better then the 2nd best one go for the 2nd best.

Nothing quite like the feeling of setting everything up through an amp and hearing it sound so much better. These days so long as the amp doesn't add any noise that it shouldn't it will be great. Its not like 20 years ago when cheap amps meant really cheap parts.
    Remember when Apple was the little upstart?

Quote Originally Posted by Rant View Post
    STB doesn't go digital to the amp?
    Just double checked this...

The RCA SD STB has SPDIF audio out... but the amp doesn't... it just has 2x (L/R) RCA inputs, and 1x 5.1 RCA inputs, then speaker wire 8ohm outputs and 1 RCA 4ohm subwoofer output.

So - nope. But I'm blissfully unaware of what I'm missing... with my elcheapo crap, so all's good.

(And, given that some football player's uncle was stoned to death 5 minute walk from my house on the weekend... yes, my money is earmarked for things like - MOVING - rather than buying Denon pretties).
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

news for eljobso, everything you own will technically become "junk" in time

value is merely what you are prepared to pay for something..

snob

Quote Originally Posted by eljobso View Post
    Most of that gear is junk - but as long as you're happy, that's the main thing.
    audiophiles *giggles*

OP: does this dse amp have a PHONO input?

the best thing I found with 80s equipment (especially amps) was the phono input and the ability to have full control over the EQ. not these damned PRESET things with no option to adjust them.

oh yeah.no comments about getting a modern turntable with preamp or line level output my old technics turntable has served me perfectly well since 1989 and I'm not changing it....too many cool stickers on the lid!
    Macbook Pro and iPod

Ok guys - enough eljobso bashing...

People who really deserve bashing are the likes of scum that harrassed me and a few other passengers on the train on the weekend... 2 youths maybe late teens/early 20's, probably half drunk gauging by the opened cask wine they were carrying... first playing friendly, then swearing their heads off and threatening violence... and of course... no one else on the train did anything... (which I understand, but it really is a sad thing) Luckily either the old lady that got off went and told the marshall, or he was actually watching the video cameras, and came down and kicked them off...

Yes, I'm not serious in saying that they should be bashed... it would only result in them getting more of their mates to retalliate... Cronulla.. but they could sure do with some educating...
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by tdm911 View Post
    I know what you mean! Whilst I use a newer amp, my main speakers are a pair of 20+ year old JBL L100T's. I only bought them a few years ago and chose them over a newer pair. There is something awesome about that massive 80's sound that is not found in newer speakers, in my opinion.
    and that woodgrain finish (iron on) and wool(nylon) speaker cloth are unbeatable.
    Macbook Pro and iPod

I think I'm failing to understand something...

If all those sources are stereo, how does a 5.1 channel amp work?
    I thought you had to have optical or SP/DIF out to have 5.1?

I like having older gear. I have a peculiar setup in my room at the moment with small 6x9 car speakers in small enclosures atop large AKAI speaker boxes - (to my ears) they cover the whole sonic spectrum!

Cheers

Jeremy
    Join SqueekyTee (by Rushfaster) using this invite code!
    norobots.net.au - My blog.
    - Lots of macs : MB (black) C2D 2Gb, eMac 1.42Ghz 1.5Gb, eMac 700Mhz, Sawtooth AGP 400Mhz, iBook 800Mhz, iMac 350Mhz, iPod mini, iPod Touch 8Gb and one pretty disorganised life

The STB and Wii are stereo... the DVD is 5.1... the Amp has 2 x stereo inputs, and 1 x 5.1 input...

The DVD's 5.1 output is via 6 RCA plugs - 1 for each channel. The Amp uses the same option - 6 RCA inputs. Also used by the $168 Diamond speaker box - and the reason I now own a DVD that has the same option.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTeflon View Post
    and that woodgrain finish (iron on) and wool(nylon) speaker cloth are unbeatable.
    He he! Yeah, my wife actually wants them banished from the house! She cannot stand the site of them.

Ironically, for all the engineering JBL put into their drivers, crossovers etc in those days, the cabinets could be better put together by a year 9 Wood working student!

Quote Originally Posted by jubilantjeremy View Post
    If all those sources are stereo, how does a 5.1 channel amp work?
    I thought you had to have optical or SP/DIF out to have 5.1?
    It can be done in more than one way:

Pass an unprocessed digital stream via optical or coaxial S/PDIF from the DVD player to an amp which does the 5.1 decoding and sends the individual channels to the speakers, or...

The DVD player may have the 5.1 decoder already on-board (as in hobo's case) so it then passes the individual channels via a separate RCA connection for each to the amp which is essentially only providing the amplification (and other benefits like master volume and video connectivity etc.) to the speakers.
    I accidentally the whole thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2