Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Parallell Updates and installation

Hey everyone,

I had parallells installed as part of the purchase of this machine. For $50 extra they installed Parallels, XP and final cut express. NOW .... I have had some Parallel updates which have come whilst I am working on a WORD document. It asked the question, would you like to install this, and I just click on Yes, and go to continue working on my document.

Now, the document is frozen in my WORD program whilst anxious people at the office are desperately awaiting my updates!!! All I have now is the beach ball spinning madly and has been doing so for the past half an hour! I don't know if the machine is doing something or it is frozen!!

It also tells me that I have to update this stuff in my OS system? How do I do that?

Tanya

If there is an update to parallels it shouldn't install while you are running but if it has it's likely to have tried to suspend XP while it performs them and trying that while you are working on it may have confused things (I switched from parallels to vmware so can't test it or be 100% certain)

Have you saved your document in Word recently? If so I'd kill parallels and let it restart again and continue your editing from the last place you saved it.
    This opinion intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvlimum View Post
    Hey everyone,

I had parallells installed as part of the purchase of this machine.
    From whom?

Quote Originally Posted by purana View Post
    From whom?
    From memory I do believe Streetwise offers the option to install it.

I purchased this iMac at Designwyse in Keysborough (Melbourne).
    Was very happy with their service.

T

Edited to add: I got the document finished and sent (thanks), but I did have to force quit it through apple.

How to I go into parallels and run any updates?? Also, what do I do with these updates on the Mac side of things? How do I run there there as well?

T

So what was being updated...the parallels drivers within XP or the parallels application itself?
    This opinion intentionally left blank.

aaw geez - as frustrating I may seem to you .... I don't know!

I had just opened XP in prarallells and thedialog box came up to ask if I wanted to download the updates, and I clicked on yes. After a few minutes, it said "do you want to run updates for Parallels, you will also have to run these updates in your Os guest operating system" I clicked on yes again - and then everything stopped!

T