Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Entourage alternatives?

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of Entourage a one-stop shop for organising my life - something that Apple doesn't seem to think is worth providing a solution for, but every now and then it gives me the 'irrits' big time. Like the way it has responded to daylight saving! The whole calendar is now running an hour late!! Perhaps there is a way to reset its time-date preferences or some other more esoteric solution, but look as I may, I've not been able to find it. Meantime I have either to go through all recurring events and re-enter there time parameters - 1 hour earlier than they actually occur, or try to remember when I look at my daily commitments, that they are all 1 hour earlier than my planner/calendar says. Perhaps the Entourage calendar is being run by iCal and I need to look there? Anyone out there have any clues?

Meantime: There would appear to be an opening for a program that integrates, Mail, iCal and Address Book into a single user friendly Personal Organiser / Project Planner program in a similar fashion to Entourage, but without the counter-intuitive vagaries of that program. Does anyone know of such an alternative, OR someone capable of writing one - I for one would be interested in looking at funding such a venture.

Come on MacTalk people, surely us Australians can outperform the world on this issue!
    "His hands were pure, but he had no hands."

Is there something about using Mail for email, iCal for calendar and Address Book for contacts that you can't work with?

they all integrate (arguably better than the various parts of Outlook/Entourage) and work pretty much seemlessly.
    MBP 2.4GHz | 4GB | 160GB + 500GB Little Big Disk Quadra | 17" + 20" ACD | BT600
    Mac Mini 2GHz | 4GB | 120GB + 1000GB d2 Quadra + 500GB d2 Quadra + 4000GB Biggest Quadra (TM)
    Linksys AM300 | Airport Extreme Dual Band | AppleTV 40GB

I agree with pengu - have you really tried using ical/mail/address book properly?

I have tried entourage and I have the same problems as you do. Also it syncs very poorly with palm or iphone without a lot of confguring and hair-tearing

Address book integrates globally with just about every program on mac os x, including ical and mail. Similarly, mail in leopard also integrates with ical (via smart appointments)

but if you want to go fund one, be my guest would be happy to see what you come up with

Hmm, MailTags helps. I don't know if it's still going, but Crm4Mac was an all-in-one solution. I think the Omnigroup products, such as Omni Project Planner have some integration as well.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I like Contactizer for tasks, calendar, address book and basic project planning. Steep learning curve, though.

The advantage, as I see it, is that it still uses the data from Address Book and iCal, so if you want to keep those updated for your iPhone or whatever syncing, it does that.
    --
    I am not an animal.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/cthornby

Mail+Address Book+iCal is the way to go.

If you want to try an all in one PIM, you could try Chandler Project - Welcome
    blog | flickr | twitter
    Aluminium iMac 20" 10.5.7 iPod Touch 16gb (First Gen) 3.0b5 iPhone 3G 16gb 3.0b5

Whatever you choose, make sure it's NOT IBM Lotus Notes.

WORST. APP. EVER.

Seriously.
    15" 2.4GHz C2D (Penryn) MBP 4Gb RAM, Pismo, 80Gb iPod Classic
    -----------------
    Successful Trades: Simo, mulquemi(x2), carlow1, hmc

Quote Originally Posted by oneplusone View Post
    Whatever you choose, make sure it's NOT IBM Lotus Notes.

WORST. APP. EVER.

Seriously.
    Whilst not wanting to defend Lotus Notes (my judgment is clouded as I truly hate Outlook) there is no way this is the worst app ever. How about eTax? It is one of the worst user interfaces I have ever used (worse than some of the original web based apps). Dont forget that in the Windows world there are a large number of apps which are truly awful (see they even have choice of crap apps) and barely even work!
    Great Boo: Macbook Air 13" Basil the Rat: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo + 2 x TwinHan Alpha tuners + eyeTV, Cogent Paradigm: 20" iMac Core Duo, iPad 2 32GB, iPhone 4S 32 GB
    My Money Minder - Personal finance made easy!
    | My Blog: benb :))

Quote Originally Posted by benb View Post
    Whilst not wanting to defend Lotus Notes (my judgment is clouded as I truly hate Outlook) there is no way this is the worst app ever. How about eTax? It is one of the worst user interfaces I have ever used (worse than some of the original web based apps). Dont forget that in the Windows world there are a large number of apps which are truly awful (see they even have choice of crap apps) and barely even work!
    Ummm, ok. I was just using that phrase to illustrate how bad it is. Slow, buggy, counter-intuitive.

It's a well established phrase.
    15" 2.4GHz C2D (Penryn) MBP 4Gb RAM, Pismo, 80Gb iPod Classic
    -----------------
    Successful Trades: Simo, mulquemi(x2), carlow1, hmc

Talking

Thanks all for the commentary.

pengu: I simply find having to separately open the different apps. a clumsy way of doing things, that leaves with a cluttered screen - I very quickly get sick of having to 'squeeze' my mouse in order to find where various windows are hiding. Also, at one stage every time I opened one or other of those apps. they required my to sign-them-on (wanted to use keychain or something): At that stage I went looking for help but never found any - either on-board or online.

choy: Perhaps I am not using the existing Apple apps. "properly", but where does one find out how to do so. The main reason I changed to Apple/Mac was the frustration I had experienced in trying to overcome the seemingly endless stream of glitches and hassles I was having with Microsoft Windows. Nothing is perfect, and by and large I have been very happy with my decision but every now and then I come across something I wish Mac would 1. do differently but can't, or 2. could do but doesn't: e.g. 1. Allow pop-up block exceptions, so I can block all sites in general but allow exceptions (such as the uni.), when they are required. Pretty well every browser has the facility except Safari! 2. Provide the capacity to have a single integrated interface for managing ones daily communication, planning etc. a la Entourage. As for the last 'wish', I envisage program effectively plugged into Address Book, iCal, & Mail, and allowed their contents to be modified and cross-referenced from within the single GU. I also conceive of such a program as having a Notes & Tasks lists capability, with the Notes section incorporating a 'sticky notes' facility that enabled chosen notes to be 'stuck' to which ever page one indicated. So you see, sort of Entourage, but better perhaps Entourage as the Omni Group would do it?! Meantime, if you could point me in the direction of how I can use the existing Mac set-up (I only have OS X 10.4.x) to achieve the above, I'd be very grateful /cmrn

Currawong: All look up your suggestions. I looked at OmniProjectPlanner but concluded that it like a number of other programs is strongly oriented to Project Planning - as a professional activity, whereas I merely want 'project planning' in the sense of trying-to-organise-my-life.

badwolf / cmrn : Thanks I'll look at those

oneplusone / benb: Yeh, right I'm not even tempted to look Lotus, or Microsoft's latest behemoth

Once again, if there's anyone out there who knows how to write for Apple, I'd like to at least examine what's required to put together something designed from the outset to meet the objectives mentioned oh, yeh, and that adjusts for daylight saving

Thanks for all the comments & suggestions. I am trialling Contactizer and am pretty impressed.

If you utilize iCal, Apple Mail and your Address book with "Spaces" on your mac you may just eliminate your problems with screen cloggage. Maybe also explore some automator actions that can make them integrate better with one-another

you shouldnt need to sign in to keychain repeatedly, thats the whole point. it should be unlocked when you sign into your computer account, and then the apps (the already have permission to) can access the stored information they need..
    MBP 2.4GHz | 4GB | 160GB + 500GB Little Big Disk Quadra | 17" + 20" ACD | BT600
    Mac Mini 2GHz | 4GB | 120GB + 1000GB d2 Quadra + 500GB d2 Quadra + 4000GB Biggest Quadra (TM)
    Linksys AM300 | Airport Extreme Dual Band | AppleTV 40GB

Quote Originally Posted by GridLok View Post
    Thanks for all the comments & suggestions. I am trialling Contactizer and am pretty impressed.

It's a really good app. Expensive though! Glad I bought it when exchange rates were better.
    --
    I am not an animal.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/cthornby

You can have my license key for contactizer if you want. I moved to Daylite because I didn't like it too much. PM me if you want the license key details.