Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default $165 Three Bill - WTF?!

Fark. I am pissed.

I just got hit with a $160 Three bill.

$66 on "mobile broadband".

I dont have an iPhone. I have a SE k610i. I bought it about a month ago to replace my dying Nokia 6288.

The only browsing I do is to load this page : b3ta.com qotw and the current QOTW every few days to read on a bus trip into the CBD or while waiting for something. The page is about 100kb and Three's mobile data rate is like $4/Mb. That should be 40c.

Here is a link to a clip from my bill.

There is all this crap about roaming. I understand roaming data costs more but on my 6288 I was usually in 3 coverage.

There is also this that I have noticed. On top of the SE k610i screen there is a world icon. This is mostly coloured but sometimes it goes to black and white. Occasionally I see it flashing.
    Could this be the phone 'doing something'?

There is also an icon that looks suspiciously like a 'internet' icon, with 3 radiating blue circles.
    I can take a photo if anyone would like to see.

[edit] oh yes - I cannot access planet 3 on the phone's inbuilt browser. I tried to call Three up for help and while we got it working briefly, we couldn't get the browser to reliably connect - it always timed out. We went through re-settings APNs etc.
    I use the opera mini browser instead. Java apps can run in the background so I usually load the page then resume reading it later.

So.

What the hell is going on, and when I call Three up, how to I begin to explain that I don't think I deserve these charges?!?

Sincerest thanks if you can help me,

Jeremy
    Join SqueekyTee (by Rushfaster) using this invite code!
    norobots.net.au - My blog.
    - Lots of macs : MB (black) C2D 2Gb, eMac 1.42Ghz 1.5Gb, eMac 700Mhz, Sawtooth AGP 400Mhz, iBook 800Mhz, iMac 350Mhz, iPod mini, iPod Touch 8Gb and one pretty disorganised life

Data usage - roaming. That's the stinger. Were you using the internet while not in a 3 zone?
    Unless you can prove you were not using the internet at these times, it looks like you will need to cough up.

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Data usage - roaming. That's the stinger. Were you using the internet while not in a 3 zone?
    Unless you can prove you were not using the internet at these times, it looks like you will need to cough up.
    I know that I didn't/couldnt download 2.7 Mb ($10, non-roaming) on the 30th sept, for example..
    - Lots of macs : MB (black) C2D 2Gb, eMac 1.42Ghz 1.5Gb, eMac 700Mhz, Sawtooth AGP 400Mhz, iBook 800Mhz, iMac 350Mhz, iPod mini, iPod Touch 8Gb and one pretty disorganised life

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

The white icon with three radiating blue lines represents a 3G network. If you don't see that icon, you're roaming on Telstra's 2G Network. Your handset's home screen will also display "ROAMING" in large letters rather than "3". Data roaming is charged at $1.65/MB - the price imposed on 3 by Telstra.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilantjeremy View Post
    I know that I didn't/couldnt download 2.7 Mb ($10, non-roaming) on the 30th sept, for example..
    Unless your phone was off how can you be 100% sure?

Quote Originally Posted by blakat View Post
    Unless your phone was off how can you be 100% sure?
    Cause I only access one website (text based) and I am fairly careful about using it..

I'm sick of this shit, I think I'll unlock the handsets and switch to a plan with no fecking mobile broadband.

Cause I only access one website (text based) and I am fairly careful about using it..

I'm sick of this shit, I think I'll unlock the handsets and switch to a plan with no fecking mobile broadband.
    You only activey used one website; but what about the phone itself? "phoning home, and the like

Unless you have enabled or subscribed to the casual mobile internet thing. Just set your APN to 3services and your handset won't be able to go online. and if you want to use the causal rate of $4/MB (in 3G area) change it to 3netaccess

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

You mentioned that you used Opera Mini - do the websites you visit have a refresh timer set (such as Gizmodo or Engadget)? It may have been running in the background actively refreshing and re-downloading data.

Many phones have catch-22s where it will stay connected to the net even once you close the browser, like real computers do. You have to specifically disconnect from the network on top of closing the browser.