Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

paxton i notice your running an old version of sysstat.there is an update on my site if you want it

Well heres my dashboard
    MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 15" | iMac Core 2 Duo 20"
    iPod 5G 30GB | iPod nano 4GB | Apple TV 40GB | iPhone 3G 8GB

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Ozi")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Deary me, why is the iguana on fire[/b][/quote]
    HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Btw, there&#39;s a much newer version of AusTV than you have shown there.

haha yeah I have got it now, thanks marc. Heres my new Widget screenie - click to enlarge.

1.0Ghz 15" TiBook, MBP 13" 2.4/4/256, MBA 13" 2013 1.7/8/128 SSD, 1st Gen 5GB iPod (mint condition), 2nd Gen 10GB iPod, iPod video, nano and shuffle, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB

Hey guys,

First post... How&#39;d you get the BOM radar widget? I have been trying to work this out for ages&#33;

Cheers

Hi,

I have seen a few ppl with a widget that has a webcam viewer and I was wondering where you got that one from???

Thanks,
    Wheels8989

Time to revive this thread&#33;

Here&#39;s what I currently use on a regular basis.

i noticed that some of the dashboards have hardly got any widgets. I usually fill every screen space of widgets on there.
     Steve Jobs: Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

Well my new dashboard dashboard is located at www.applecollector.com/tigerpre/
    My Macs: MacBook Pro 17", Powerbook Ti 867Mhz, Powermac 5500 Black, iBook G3 900Mhz, Powermac MDD, Powermac 8600 250Mhz, Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Mac Mini, iMac G4 17" 1Ghz, eMac 1Ghz, eMac 800Mhz,
    AppleCollector Sales Service/Sales/Support/Trade In's

My question - serious - is whether having the widgets open actually reduces system performance. I&#39;ve noticed that some of these widgets have pretty large real memory footprints, given they are sitting in the background 90% of the time. In a 512Mb system (even 1Gb depending on the apps), having 8 to 10 widgets running in 6-8Mb footprints can be a fairly large chuck of real memory, more than leaving Mail, Pages, or even MS Word.

As a World of Warcraft player, I&#39;ve noticed that it will happily swallow up to 1Gb or more real memory, so perhaps when you&#39;re shutting down other apps before you start gaming, close the widgets as well. (Naturally, those of you with uber rigs that have a terrabyte of Ram can disregard my rambling...)

EDIT: That aside, I always have the BOM view of Melbourne and the Temperature widget for Scoresby open. Recently I&#39;ve been planning a holiday to the US, and have also had some sticky notes with my rough ideas open as well.
    http://www.lilformers.com/home.php - my favoritist webcomic at this exact moment.

Originally posted by gmask1@Jan 6 2006, 09:36 PM
    My question - serious - is whether having the widgets open actually reduces system performance. I&#39;ve noticed that some of these widgets have pretty large real memory footprints, given they are sitting in the background 90% of the time. In a 512Mb system (even 1Gb depending on the apps), having 8 to 10 widgets running in 6-8Mb footprints can be a fairly large chuck of real memory, more than leaving Mail, Pages, or even MS Word.
    since widgets will be using inactive ram when dashboard is not active if another app needs the ram the widgets memory will be paged and given to the new app

Originally posted by iSlayer@Jan 6 2006, 08:42 PM
    since widgets will be using inactive ram when dashboard is not active if another app needs the ram the widgets memory will be paged and given to the new app
    If the widget is on a cron or other timer, won&#39;t it get paged back in at that time?

EDIT: Correct me if I&#39;m wrong, but isn&#39;t inactive ram still physical ram that could be used for other running applications; Real memory is the wired ram + active + inactive (= physical).

EDIT2: I massively overstated warcrafts usage before - when it&#39;s running, WoW seems to consume about 600Mb of real memory, most sitting in inactive
    http://www.lilformers.com/home.php - my favoritist webcomic at this exact moment.

RAM is probably the only thing I&#39;d worry about with widgets. CPU isn&#39;t a huge issue unless you&#39;re running something that&#39;s dodgy.

Also another quick Q....why does it sometimes take my Dashboard more than 30 seconds to open if I haven&#39;t done so for a while?

Eg if I havent opened Dashboard, say, for 4 or 5 hours, it often takes up to a minute to open, tying up the system, not allowing me to do anything else until Dashboard is open?

Very frustrating&#33;

Sounds like the widgets are all being refreshed, or their memory is being loaded from a swap file on the HD. Perfectly normal.

You should be able to click on the desktop to hide dashboard and keep working while it sorts itself out.

How many widgets do you have running?

About 20 :&#092;

Thing is, when this happens, I can&#39;t do anything, I have to wait for Dashboard to open. It totally locks up my whole system for that time.

Starscream Guest

Post screenshots of your dashboard.

Heres mine.

And Mine

yeh, yeh, i know... my battery is rooted&#33; LOL
    MacBook, iMac, iTouch
    Trades: landog, HDK, BiRDBRAiN, macdave, Mac Ram
    MacTalk Kiva Lending Team!

Pass the crystal, spread the Tarot, in illusion comfort lies

http://www.mistfall.com/

You drive a left hand drive??

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast