Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I am the tech savvy at-risk youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    They cause less fatigue.

I'm generalising, but the only people who really need matte screen are those who need to colour match. Generally, those people would be using expensive dedicated monitors like Eizo.
    I, personally, *hate* glossy screens. I have both a MB and a MBP, and my main gripe with the MB is the screen. It reflects *everything* and it's just bloody annoying. It collects finger prints like it's a sponge sucking up water, and attracts a lot of dust for some reason.

I love my MBP screen. I've never liked shiny screens, even old CRT's used to piss me off.

I've got a MBP from around March this year. Until some suitable alternative to glossy screens comes out, i'm sticking with these. I will not purchase another glossy screen laptop again. Looks like Apple may have just lost my mobile computing business (in 2-3 years time).

I am also a far bigger fan of the existing MBP keyboards to the MB keyboards. And price. Yeouch. Damn dollar!
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Muzza_77 View Post
    My dad will probably be getting a MBP. MAYBE next year ill either get a MB or MBP, depends on how the graphics turn out for CAD programs...
    Muzza , what Mac CAD program do you or your Dad use ?
    Or do you use Autocad or similar in a VM ?

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

Considering the 12" PowerBook does everything I need it to, I'll stick with that for a while… although one of those 13" metal things does look very inviting.

I think I could live with a glossy screen… but never a white (plastic) macbook; been there, done that. Never Again!

So those of you who ordered, has yours shipped yet?

I just got this from Apple

And my TNT number says it has already been electronically lodged at Sydney.

Looks like it could be my fastest order from Apple just over 24 hours!

Now, to intercept Shaxbon's delivery and pretend I'm him/her

The glossy screen debate is so overdone and hysterical. I'm a graphic designer for whom colour accuracy is pretty important. I have used calibrated monitors with sun shades that you stick various doodads to. Now, I have been using a glossy screen for a couple of years and amazingly, suffer from no headaches, have been never dazzled like a rabbit in headlights by reflections and have never had jobs come back from printers with unexpected and creative colour variations.

To be honest, I PREFER glossy screens. Even if it's merely perception, colours "pop" more and they're just more vivid, realistic and enjoyable to use.

I honestly don't know what the fuss is about. Get one. In a week you too will wonder about the sanity of people who seriously post that would rather use Windows that use a glossy screen.

Im getting the 2.0 macbook.
    and yup, I'm gonna LOVE that glossy screen
    I have been dreaming about one for the last 12 months whilst I've been stuck on my shitty vista desktop

Man, it a good thing i've only had my macbook for 9 months, else i might cave and buy the new one; and Quicken knows it would kill my account to buy one.
    My Mac: White Macbook Rev. E Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz | 4GB RAM | 250 GB HDD

Before the product announcement, I was honestly considering ditching the iMac and MacBook for a single MacBook Pro and external display. Now there is absolutely no way in hell. As fantastic as the machines are, the prices are far too steep for something that I don't exactly need, but rather just something that would be nice to have.

So I reckon the sensible thing to do would be wait 'til another major update in a year or possibly two, then reconsider my options. A lot of people will probably be doing the same because of the prices. Oh well. One good thing out of it is that you really force yourself to think about what you need and don't need, and possibly save yourself money from an unnecessary purchase.

I got a 2.4Ghz MacBook

is the mb 2.4 worth the extra money over the 2.0?

None, maybe no more computers for a few years, until prices go down again. What a joke that update was, a cheaper computer with a better processor?
    * iPhone 5 16GB Black & Slate * MacBook Pro 15" Mid 10 2.67GHz Core i7 8GB RAM Mountain Lion 10.8.2 * Samsung 1TB External *
    I am Andrew759 on MacRumors.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ashIV View Post
    I think it is. Has the backlit keyboard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I think it is. Has the backlit keyboard as well.
    It's an extra $500 or so. I don't know if 400MHz and some lights can justify that. You get some more HDD space but really, you can replace that in future.

If it was me, and funnily enough I only have enough money to buy an entry MB (new model), I would get the 2.0 model.

The 2.4 is nice with the backlit, but you'd use it mostly in the daytime right? Plug 4GB of RAM in it and it should be fine with a 2.0 model. I'm just saying this because I'm cheap and can't afford the extra $500 for backlit/CPU bump/HDD bump. Or entry MBP at all. 3 grand? Over 3 grand? No way... 2.5K was just about my limit yesterday.

it is, price being what they are, its probably better to buy what you can afford, its not as easy to buy and dispose.
    My Mac: White Macbook Rev. E Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz | 4GB RAM | 250 GB HDD

Keeping my current MBP until the need arises to upgrade.

I am very temped to buy one of the new 24" ACDs
    15" 2.33Ghz Macbook Pro + 22" Asus VW222U

Quote Originally Posted by ashIV View Post
    I feel it is, id hate to buy the cheapy when Alana is going to be using the machine for the next 3 years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Huy View Post
    It's an extra $500 or so. I don't know if 400MHz and some lights can justify that. You get some more HDD space but really, you can replace that in future.

If it was me, and funnily enough I only have enough money to buy an entry MB (new model), I would get the 2.0 model.

The 2.4 is nice with the backlit, but you'd use it mostly in the daytime right? Plug 4GB of RAM in it and it should be fine with a 2.0 model. I'm just saying this because I'm cheap and can't afford the extra $500 for backlit/CPU bump/HDD bump. Or entry MBP at all. 3 grand? Over 3 grand? No way... 2.5K was just about my limit yesterday.
    yer im pretty much thinking the exact same thing. i dont think i could justify the money for the hdd and lights, my concern was more with the 400mhz but im not planning to do much more then your average user.

also i have a month old 2.8 imac.

i just want give the macbook a once over in person before i lay down the money.

Question

What's the difference of buying online & buying over at NextByte?
    As i don't have access to any of the Apple store here in brisbane.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast