Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Yes. You can.

My gf gets through an entire day of lectures simply word processing. No wireless/bluetooth. This is on an Air which is comparable to the current MacBook. Lower the brightness to a few notches and it will give you more time.

A full day should be possible assuming you don't use it during lunch/recess etc and just use it for typing.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyBea View Post
    I forgot to ask - is it/will it be compatible with the Telstra/bigpond usb nextG modem for wireless internet???
    I have heard there are issues with bigpond/telstra and macs.......
    The new pre-paid Telstra wireless usb modems are compatible with Macs, it even tells you how to set it up in the instructions, not sure about the other ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Collecting my 4GB ram tomorrow. It will be nice to have the extra RAM for my VM's.
    Isn't it better to use Boot Camp which came with the machine originally rather than funning a virtualization??? Wouldn't it be much more stable???

Quote Originally Posted by zigzagler View Post
    Isn't it better to use Boot Camp which came with the machine originally rather than funning a virtualization??? Wouldn't it be much more stable???
    It would be, if you can be bothered rebooting constantly. Virtualization is handy cause it lets you access windows apps inside mac os x.
    My Mac: White Macbook Rev. E Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz | 4GB RAM | 250 GB HDD

I'm still contemplating whether I should upgrade the HDD to the 7200rpm version for the MBP or should I wait and upgrade it later...

Advantage of initial upgrade: save $$$ (BTO) - but I'm not sure whether I can get it thru DSE?

Advantage of later upgrade: price of HDD will get cheaper, swap the existing HDD with new one - old one becomes an extra HDD for backup

P/S: Just rang a couple of DSE around brisbane & apparently they are all out of stocks!

I'm still contemplating whether I should upgrade the HDD to the 7200rpm version for the MBP or should I wait and upgrade it later...
    Add at least a week to your order time if you do this.
    I am the tech savvy at-risk youth.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Boot camp only makes sense if you are playing games. I have a different VM for each client I work with. It means I can connect to multiple client's VPN's at the same time. It would be possible to do that in Bootcamp. It also allows me to keep network and VPN settings without having to constantly change them every time i go to a different customer.

Advantage of initial upgrade: save $$$ (BTO) - but I'm not sure whether I can get it thru DSE?

Advantage of later upgrade: price of HDD will get cheaper, swap the existing HDD with new one - old one becomes an extra HDD for backup

P/S: Just rang a couple of DSE around brisbane & apparently they are all out of stocks!
    I've just puchased a 500GB 2.5 for my macbook pro. It should be arriving in a couple of days and the 250 currently in my machine will remain a external for any information I don't want to keep on my machine.

just got off the phone to my reseller and they just recieved an email stating ALL CTO orders for MacBook Pro's (dont know if this applies to MacBooks) have been frozen for a week.

I ordered my MBP CTO(2.8/DVI Adapter) on thursday 16/10/2008 and now have been told to wait to at least until the 6/11/08.

Not happy
    iMac 27" 3.4 i7, 2TB HD, 16GB RAM, 6970M 2GB
    MacbookPro 15' 2.8Ghz, 1TB, 4GB RAM
    Nokia N9, Nokia E6

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Annoying, I'm glad I got the stock standard, the wait would have been hell

All good news this evening here!!!! (apart from the wait for CTO mbp) but everything sounds encouraging....... !

My daughter (graphic designer) has been chomping at the bit for a macbook (pro if possible) since her toshiba died on her earlier this year and she has been waiting to see what this new range would be....... now she is still undecided because of the $$ of the mbp but I am telling her to go and try out the new mb (she is in malaysia) for herself and see how it goes......

I am pretty sure now that I will be happy with the 2.4 mb + 4GB ram, have to see what she decides on (I have to pay for both !- I might get paid back in time.... ) to see when I can get MINE !!!!

Good news also about the Telstra prepaid usb modem - that was the one I was thinking of getting for mb away from home.......

~b~
    iMac 24" 2.33GHz l Alu iMac 24" 3.06GHZ l TC 1TB l Classic iPOD l iPOD NANO l Alu MBP 15.4/2.4GHz/4GB /320GB/iPhone 3GS 32GB l iPhone 4S 64GB l iPad 62GB/3G

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyBea View Post
    Good news also about the Telstra prepaid usb modem - that was the one I was thinking of getting for mb away from home.......

The thing that annoys me though is the prices of Telstra's data, and you only get 30 days to use it.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

well done - great choice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Huy View Post
    Yes. You can.

My gf gets through an entire day of lectures simply word processing. No wireless/bluetooth. This is on an Air which is comparable to the current MacBook. Lower the brightness to a few notches and it will give you more time.

A full day should be possible assuming you don't use it during lunch/recess etc and just use it for typing.
    Cool - that's good to hear. Thanks Huy.
    "The radio makes hideous sounds" - Bob Dylan.

Not even wanting to go down ~that road~ with Telstra......... the only reason I would use them is because it is the only network with extensive coverage where I am....... so I just swallow it like the other 'pills' in life which allow me to be where I want to be and do what I want to do....

There's always a price to pay for everything......
    ~b~
    iMac 24" 2.33GHz l Alu iMac 24" 3.06GHZ l TC 1TB l Classic iPOD l iPOD NANO l Alu MBP 15.4/2.4GHz/4GB /320GB/iPhone 3GS 32GB l iPhone 4S 64GB l iPad 62GB/3G

Does DSE sell BTO MBP?

They'd have to order it in, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by petecario View Post
    The thing that annoys me though is the prices of Telstra's data, and you only get 30 days to use it.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
    virgin. $15 = 1gb
    gets cheaper and last longer the more you pay of course.but then again anythings cheaper than telstra.

Macbook Pro, 2.4ghz with the standard 2GB RAM and 250GB HD to replace my died-in-the-middle-of-my-graphic-design-honours-project-which-is-due-in-two-weeks Powerbook.

Annoyed about having to drop $3049 (w/edu discount) just like that, but the new machine is quite exciting so far. Glossy screen's not bugging me too much, but then I usually use it connected to a nice 24" matte screen, so maybe that's why. Would have liked an Apple Remote and a DVI adaptor in the box, too I'm sure there was room!

Plan on upgrading the RAM to 4GB once my project's done, and hopefully prices drop a bit too...

And my project's ok (lost maybe 4 hours of work, but meh), which is the most important bit!

(PS. Is there a hi/hello/intro thread somewhere in these forums?)

'And my project's ok (lost maybe 4 hours of work, but meh), which is the most important bit!'

Glad to hear it. Enjoy your new machine!

Quote Originally Posted by poisontofu View Post
    (PS. Is there a hi/hello/intro thread somewhere in these forums?)
    Welcome! Tell Us A Little About Yourself...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13