Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Excel 2008 and macros

Hey all,

I have an assignment for uni that is almost completly based around excel, they sent us a file complete with macros that requires us to do experiments with pre programmed data, however as i tried to open the file in excel 2008 on my macbook it comes up with a message telling me that macros do not work. Was i was wondering is if there was any way to get them to work or should i just go camp out in the computer labs on a windows comp?

Cheers

Mark
    Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?

It is a known issue with Excel 2008. Better to use Excel 2004 if you have.
    Same problems for me. Good luck

There is no way to enable macros in the Office 2008 suite, which has been the highly criticized point of the suite, but will be returning in the next edition. Obviously Microsoft doesn't listen to the people who buy their products if they are leaving out support for macros.

Thanks alot guys looks like i'll be camping out in the computer labs at uni for a few nights now.

Cheers

Mark
    Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by SOSUMI View Post
    It is a known issue with Excel 2008. Better to use Excel 2004 if you have.
    Same problems for me. Good luck
    Even if you had Excel 2004 that may not help, as the VBA macro compatibility wasn't 100%.

If the macro is fairly simple then there may be a way around it. Not sure where OpenOffice is at these days in terms of its support for VB macros. May be worth a brief look.

JimWOz's Avatar JimWOz is offline 56 no. ...and still seeing it big as a footy

Quote Originally Posted by micaros View Post
    Even if you had Excel 2004 that may not help, as the VBA macro compatibility wasn't 100%.

If the macro is fairly simple then there may be a way around it. Not sure where OpenOffice is at these days in terms of its support for VB macros. May be worth a brief look.
    It's strictly true that VBA compatibility is not 100% in Excel 2004, but if the macros are fairly simple then they will almost certainly work in Excel 2004 Mac.
    There are a number of methods that Excel for windows uses to access windows centric stuff, that clearly will never work, but if you're talking about straightforward code then I have never had any real problems across platforms with Excel VBA, using Excel 2004 Mac and Windows 2003 versions.

Microsoft have indicated VBA will return in the next major version release of Excel for Mac.
    MBP15 i7 2.2 16G/1TB/120SSD, MB C2D2.4 Black, MB2.0 Black, PBG4/15/1.5, PMG4 MDD, iMacG3/333, Epson1410, HPLJ5200DN, HP ML115 Ubuntu Server, Airport Extreme+Express N. In the closet: HP DC7600 PC, PBG4/12/867, PBG3/333, PM6200, PB5300C, SE30, SE.