Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default fixing unlocked first gen iPhone for friend

my friend's mother bought him an unlocked first gen iPhone last year while she lived in Asia and she brought it back to Australia where he used in on Vodafone. recently it stopped working when he tried to upgrade from 1.1.4 (i think?) to version 2 firmware.

he has asked me politely to fix it as he knows im fairly savvy with Macs… but unfortunately i dont know much about iPhones as i dont own one.

seeing as though speak of hacking iPhones is tolerable i thought id ask a few questions before i have a crack at this.

how do i go about unlocking it to work on Vodafone? and do i need to jailbreak? i dont think his was jailbroken before as i remember there was no installer or cydia apps. theres so many apps/ways to do this when searching Google i just dont know where to start! also will i be able to upgrade to version 2 firmware just so i can show of how l337 i am and show him the new features?

thanks guys i know i cant count on you
    Hackintosh Core i5 750, 4GB, 1.5TB, 4870 1GB; 23" ACD; Snow Leopard
    15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB

Kushti

thankyou very much Mac Ram. trying PwnageTool now.

one quick question though purely out of confusion/curiosity. is it possible to just unlock the iPhone with PwnageTool instead of also jailbreaking it? i dont want installer and cydia as im not sure he would even know how to use them. thanks
    Hackintosh Core i5 750, 4GB, 1.5TB, 4870 1GB; 23" ACD; Snow Leopard
    15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB