Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Ibook?

So...will it be soon?

Shoud I hold off?

Whilst there appears to be evidence pointing towards impending updates on iMacs and eMacs, iBooks don't look to be updated in the very near future. Sometime soon, but probably not soon enough to hold off a purchase - but its entirely up to you.

I guess you could always hold off from something better & never get anything.
    Quite happy with my 12" 1.2GHz iBook although I think if anything the updated iBooks should sport a Core Image compatible GPU.

Worth getting @ least 512MB too regardless of updates.
    Notebook: Apple 15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz (Penryn)

Hey, i was looking at getting the Ibook yesterday, but when i got to Computers Now in Chaddy, they were out of stock, which was a real bummer.
    Anyway, i feel that the ibooks won't get updated soon, because the Staff member from Apple Au who was preloading Tiger on the David Jones Apple, said that the Ibooks were the current model, and the updates would't be likely.

Furthermore, as i was going to purchase the ibook, there was a week wait, and Computers Now is expecting in a shipment of 23 Ibooks.

I wouldn't think they will be updating them anytime sooon. Give me your thoughts

Cheers

Tim

Originally posted by timboy@Apr 30 2005, 09:38 AM
    Anyway, i feel that the ibooks won't get updated soon, because the Staff member from Apple Au who was preloading Tiger on the David Jones Apple, said that the Ibooks were the current model, and the updates would't be likely.
    People from Apple speak? They have thoughts? no way :P

There will not be any iBook updates soon.

Why you may ask?

Because the differential between Powerbooks and iBooks wouldnt be great enough and it would hurt sales of Powerbooks.
    troll
    n. A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.

unless they update both range together. :P *fingers crossed*

Originally posted by frenchtoast@May 1 2005, 05:48 PM
    There will not be any iBook updates soon.

Why you may ask?

Because the differential between Powerbooks and iBooks wouldnt be great enough and it would hurt sales of Powerbooks.
    But radeon9200 doesn't support core image and according to thinksecret.com there must be an update soon. who knows

PowerBooks were updated in January, and probably won't be updated until around August.

iBooks are overdue for an update.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Originally posted by kit@May 1 2005, 07:05 PM
    iBooks are overdue for an update.
    yeah, yeah man! that's what I am saying and where are the new iMacs??

Going by past years the iBooks are Normally and i mean Normally updated in April and October and this has been the pastern over the past 2 years. I bought my first Mac which was a iBook last october one of the 1.33Ghz Models and are soooo happy with my purchase. But no one can ever tell what apple are planing to do.

It all depends on if you need it right now or if you can wait. I know with a mac it is hard to wait.

Personally i cant see iBooks been updated in the next month

I bit the bullet on Friday and ordered mine from the Apple store. I just couldn't wait. From what I've heard, the MacUpdates buying guide does not have a very good reputation, nor is it deemed helpful! I say: Go for it! Now I just have to wait 2 weeks for it to come. Longest two weeks of my life!

yeah where are the new iMacs

It's interesting to read that a few of you have a waiting period before getting your machines. I literally wandered into the AppleCentre and said "I'd like an iBook" and they had HEAPS of stock. I guess there are cycles of having stock and having to order in though.

Anyway, for my $0.02, the iBook is great value - but definitely get the extra RAM, and maybe an external HDD. Holding off on a purchase is just too much heartache. Jump in the deep end now. If something better gets released, you can always put what you have on EBay and fork out a little extra...
    12" iBook :: 1.2GHz :: 768MB/30GB
    A64 3400+ :: ATI X850XT

A member of the sales team at AppleCentre Taylor Square didn't think too much of imac, ibook update rumours when asked the other day.

Originally posted by queraxus@May 1 2005, 09:41 PM
    A member of the sales team at AppleCentre Taylor Square didn't think too much of imac, ibook update rumours when asked the other day.
    Not surprising really, they're trying to sell the current models they have in stock. Are people really going to buy a new Mac if they say "Oh, there'll probably be a better model released next week and it'll be quite a bit cheaper to boot".

my theory is they'll update the ibooks when the buzz about tiger has died down. It's a good marketing idea too. When the buzz about one product dies down, create buzz about another product... keeps them in the news.

Originally posted by MightyAtom@May 1 2005, 09:46 PM
    Not surprising really, they're trying to sell the current models they have in stock. Are people really going to buy a new Mac if they say "Oh, there'll probably be a better model released next week and it'll be quite a bit cheaper to boot".
    Possibly true.

1. They've got a decent rep for not pushing products,
    2. I wasn't in the market for an imac or ibook, and told me offhand.

As i said earlier, If Apple were to update the iBook, it would bring numerous specs too close to Powerbooks. And considering the massive price difference, too many people would think "Gees Powerbooks are expensive, considering i can get almost the same thing in an iBook for over $1000 less."

As for Core Image. Only 2 ranges of macs graphics cards support it, Powerbooks and Powermacs. Not iMacs nor eMacs nor iBooks nor Mac minis. These are the Pro lines and you expect to get more of the nice things when buying. Your not going to get the extra features in a budget range that you get in the highest end

Just because Mac Rumours Buying Guide or Think Secret saids there should be an update because "thats when they usually have an update" doesn't mean its going to happen. Look at the wait there was for an upgrade to the current Powerbook range. And also look at how long update rumours (and what they were rumoured to include - dual core G4, G5, etc) were going around.

I can see updates for iMacs and eMacs. But not for iBooks.
    troll
    n. A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.

queraxus,

i was being pushed pretty hard to grab the iMac 1.8 G5 cause the 1.6 wasn't in stock. I wont mention names but the salesperson even told me that i'd get a better discount for it because i was an RMIT student and said that no one bought the 1.6 and the reason they did not stock it was because it was so unpopular. *what?!* it was just a load of crap as I knew loads of people who opted for the 1.6. In the end he only gave me the standard 10% edu discount. that plonker.

anyways i hope the updates are true cause i just put in an order for the 1.6 bout 3 weeks back. hopefully i'll get the updated spec!

regards,

gene

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast