Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by faux View Post
    Yeah, only in Australia are the rates going up from their already ridiculous prices. In Malaysia for one thing, calls from a local mobile there to any Australian number costs me something like AUD0.07 per minute. That's international calls mind you!
    In Indonesia, it's between A$2 and A$3 a minute for mobile to AUS landline / mobile. Sigh. They don't have a robust competitive market for phone calls there. On the other hand, local calls between mobiles are only a cent or two a minute. 3G / HSDPA mobile internet, unlimited downloads, is about 50c per hour. So it's swings and roundabouts.

Andrew
    At our place: iMac 27" / 2 x iMac24" 3.06Ghz / 2 x MBA 13.3" + 11.6" / iPod Touch 16Gb / 2 x iPhones 4 64Gb + 3GS 32Gb / 3 x Airport Express / 1Tb Time Capsule

Quote Originally Posted by Galumay View Post
    those profiteering pirates at tel$tra are at it again
    Wait... a corporation is set out to make a profit? CALL THE POLICE! Making a profit should be illegal!
    iPhone 4 32gb Black

Quote Originally Posted by lbeaumont View Post
    Wait... a corporation is set out to make a profit? CALL THE POLICE! Making a profit should be illegal!
    ok, ignoring the dripping sarcasm.....i dont think anyone begrudges tel$tra making profit - its when that profit is extortionate and sustained by monopolistic and anti competitive behaviour or collusion with other telcos to price gouge that it becomes an issue.

do a bit of research about tel$tra backhaul charges where they have monopoly control - tassie and NT as examples.

or check the pricing on excess data - wholesale cost in australia, about $3GB, tel$tra ripoff charges vary from 50 times cost (ADSL excess data charges - $150GB) to over 7000 times cost (WAP over GPRS data - $22,530GB)

Quote Originally Posted by Galumay View Post
    ok, ignoring the dripping sarcasm.....i dont think anyone begrudges tel$tra making profit - its when that profit is extortionate and sustained by monopolistic and anti competitive behaviour or collusion with other telcos to price gouge that it becomes an issue.

do a bit of research about tel$tra backhaul charges where they have monopoly control - tassie and NT as examples.

or check the pricing on excess data - wholesale cost in australia, about $3GB, tel$tra ripoff charges vary from 50 times cost (ADSL excess data charges - $150GB) to over 7000 times cost (WAP over GPRS data - $22,530GB)
    Buy some shares and "Get over it"
    "I want to lie, Shipwrecked and comotose, drinking fresh Mango Juice'.

www.barcoasters.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by silverdreamer View Post
    Buy some shares and "Get over it"
    LOL! thats a novel approach

so you think if i share in ripping off the australian public i will feel better!

(not a very constructive post on your part silverdreamer, if you have reasons you think tel$tra are justified in their corporate behaviour, pray tell.)

EDIT - this new product looks like the reason for the changes, "tel$tra, always finding new ways to screw our customers and maximise shareholder returns."

Prepaid Plus - Next G - Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband - Telstra

check out the international data roaming charges, $15,360 per GB - how anyone could defend that sort of profiteering is beyond me.

when you read the detail on this new product its pretty obvious its the driver for the changes to the prepaid terms and conditions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2