Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default G.Skill 4GB RAM in a single stick works in MacBookPro (1x4GB 1x2GB = 6GB works)

I notice MSY have 4GB of laptop RAM in a single stick.

"4GB (Single) DDR2 G.Skill 199"

I have a Penryn MacBookPro, and I'm wondering if:

a) Has anyone tried one of these?
    b) Is it likely to work/not work?
    c) I have $199, should I buy one and see, and on-sell it if it doesn't? Anyone got a PC laptop and want to buy it if it doesn't?

It's an 800MHZ module, and I'm told that it should be backwards compatible.

I am a bit skeptical, would have thought 2gb per slot would have been max for the MBP. That said I am sure somebody will have a definite answer very soon

Though as has happened to past Macs - the RAM limit was only based on what was available at the time and they will indeed go higher. I guess it's option C... I'll buy one and see if it works for 6GB, and then go for 8.

Default PS

Quote Originally Posted by themacuser View Post
    Though as has happened to past Macs - the RAM limit was only based on what was available at the time and they will indeed go higher. I guess it's option C...
    +1,my imac runs 1 GB in the internal slot and 512 MB iin the outside slot inspite of a recomended limitof 1 GB total.
    PS.Check out mactracker which has detailed info on all macs.
    Late 2013 iMac . Late 2009 MacBook and a modded 500 GB Time Capsule. 5G iPhone . I have a big hairy pussy called Muffin.

If you do intend to pass on the RAM to a PC user, consider the following:

The "where is my full 4GB?" issue is now a Windows-only problem going forward.
    Source: AppleInsider - Road to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 64-Bits, Santa Rosa and More.

Prior to using the Santa Rosa platform, Apple sold its laptops as only supporting a maximum of 3GB RAM because of this. But many Original Equipment Manufacturer PC assemblers represent their machines as supporting 4GB of RAM even though the operating system can't actually make any use of a big chunk of it. With hardware that only supports 32-bit addressing, no operating system can make use of the full 4GB. However, even with Santa Rosa-style hardware that can make use of the full 4GB, the mainstream 32-bit Windows Vista still won't use more than 3.2GB or less because it can't remap MMIO.

One developer we consulted about the issue noted, "consumers are being scammed by [PC] OEMs on a large scale. OEMs will encourage customers to upgrade a 2GB machine to 4GB, even though the usable RAM might be limited to 2.3GB. This is especially a problem on high-end gaming machines that have huge graphics cards as well as lots of RAM."

"Microsoft even changed the way the OS reports the amount of RAM available; rumor is, due to pressure from OEMs," the developer told us. "In Vista and prior, it reported usable RAM, while in SP1 they changed it to report installed RAM ignoring the fact that much of the RAM was unusable due to overlap with video memory." And so many PC users are installing 4GB of RAM in their PCs and thinking that it is being used by the system, when in fact it is no more beneficial than if the RAM were simply poked halfway into the CD slot.

For example, Dell's top of the line $5799 Alienware gamer PC comes standard with a 1GB video card, 2GB of RAM, and 32-bit Windows Home Premium. That means the system can only possibly use 2.3GB of RAM, but Dell "recommends" users spend $250 (or $8 per month with financing) to buy a 4GB upgrade (below) that will offer them little more than bragging rights, as the 1GB video card and the roughly 750MB of other MMIO will make the extra 2GB unusable.
    Trading Feedback: El Guardo

Well, but that makes good question: can the macbook/pro address 4Gb+? I know that my macbook can take 4Gb (its what i've got installed), but what about the macbook pro? And can either take more?
    My Mac: White Macbook Rev. E Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz | 4GB RAM | 250 GB HDD

Quote Originally Posted by El Guardo View Post
    If you do intend to pass on the RAM to a PC user, consider the following:
    Ahh, but it's not my problem is it? Their memory hole, not mine.

Dumb question, but is OSX a 32bit or 64bit OS? If it's 32bit then you'll run into the same problems as Vista/XP above. If it's 64 then there's no such issue.

Re the RAM... there's probably no way to know for sure, except ask Apple, who will probably come back with the standard specs (4gb max). you could always see if they will let you bring it back if it doesnt work, or even better take your macbook with you and upgrade on the spot. I've done that in the past with things like HDD's for a pc and they let me try it in the pc/notebook to make sure it would find it before I had to shell out the cash. Putting unsuitable RAM in isn't going to damage it... it simply won't work.

Leopard is 64bit and that's why we are able to utilise whoel 4GB RAM.
    I would love to know whether we can exceed 4GB limit in a Macbook Pro if anyone does try it out
    13" MBP 2.66Ghz C2D | 4GB RAM | 320GB HDD
    iPhone 3G (Black) 8GB

I just did a quick research.

32bit OS supports up to 4GB of RAM
    64bit OS supports more than 4GB of RAM

So does that mean MacBook Pro with Santa Rosa or above can support more than 4GB of RAM?
    iPhone 3G (Black) 8GB

The OS and the Processor can in the Santa Rosa and Perryn MBP's but its a question if its limited somewhere else along the line.

Am curious of the result, as I just moved my bootcamp partition to Vista x64 in order to utilize the ram a little more (despite higher overheads)

Yeah, OS X is not the problem here as I have G5s here running 8GB of RAM quite happily.

Oooh, if the 2x 4GB SO-DIMM works - I am buying em!
    Love to have 8GB in my MBP.

I'll ring MSY later today, and if they have one I'll hold it, and go buy it on Thursday. Plan C is in action.

Quote Originally Posted by themacuser View Post
    I'll ring MSY later today, and if they have one I'll hold it, and go buy it on Thursday. Plan C is in action.
    Awesome! Please report back ASAP as to whether it works or not.

On hand I've got 2x1GB in there now and 2x2GB that I was going to put in. I'll see if 6GB works, firstly. If that works, I'll have a 2GB Kingston RAM module for sale

I want to know the result as well.
    8GB RAM in MacBook Pro sounds awesome!
    iPhone 3G (Black) 8GB

I would imagine it would be fine seeing as that it's a santa rosa platform MBP.

ps. RE: that article. it's only a memory hole if you are using Win32. I think that article is slightly misleading as the type of people who actually want or need more than 4gb of installed RAM tend to be the types that are fully aware of the RAM limit of 32bit operating systems. Also leopard still has a 32bit kernel and most apps are still 32bit. Although snow leopard will hopefully change this.

For those of you with RAM questions, especially following my earlier quotation, I've included links to all four articles below. Please have a read of them as (a) they're rather interesting, especially as they pertain to Snow Leopard and the inadequacies of Microsoft's approach, and (b) they'll answer any questions you have.

AppleInsider
    Road to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: 64-Bits.
    64-Bits, Santa Rose and the great PC swindle.
    Twice the RAM, half the price, 64-Bits.
    The future of 64-Bit apps.
    Trading Feedback: El Guardo

Let's end this right away. It won't work.

The northside IC and memory interconnects only support a maximum of 4GB on the bus.

Don't waste your moneys.
    Service Manager - Streetwise
    Developer - Ration

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast