Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default iPhone news from Three??

I don't really know why I did this, but on a whim I dropped into my local Three retail store today, at Macarthur Square (Campbelltown), and asked them whether they had any news on when they'd be selling iPhones.

To my surprise the staff member told me that they'd just received news that they'd be selling iPhones in "early November, or possibly even late October". He also said something wierd: he told me that he didn't know whether Three would be stocking "the second version phone, or just the first version iPhone with updated software".

I asked him what he meant by that -- was the "first version phone" the iPhone 3G? He said that it was the iPhone 3G but then he repeated -- "we'll either have the new version iPhone 3G, or the first version but with the updated software".

What did the salesman mean? Was he telling the truth, or just stringing me along so I wouldn't get my iPhone from somewhere else? Has anyone else heard anything?

It might be worthwhile for a few people to visit their local Three shops to see if the staff members repeat what I was told today....

I think they pulling your leg, as Apple would never let info like that out let alone 2 months, i dispatch all the iPhones for the Telstra owned stores and i have heard nothing about a new model,
    Cheers,

iMac 24" 3.06ghz - iPhone 3GS 32GB - Airport Express

trust me that guy is talking sh*t.

I know that they are trying for a pre-Christmas launch but nothing has been confirmed. The official line from 3 is "still in negotiations" & im 100% sure there has been NO communication to 3 staff of anything different period.
    iMac 27" 3.4 i7, 2TB HD, 16GB RAM, 6970M 2GB
    MacbookPro 15' 2.8Ghz, 1TB, 4GB RAM
    Nokia N9, Nokia E6

Well, anyone on this forum will tell you that the staff will know whether a new version will be released as soon as you do. Either way, you'll know something tomorrow night / Wednesday morning.
    Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Unibody goodness
    20 Inch Cinema Display
    8Gb 3G iPhone, 3rd gen iPod Nano 4Gb, 3rd gen U2 ipod 20Gb

Three up to it's old tricks trying to keep customers from signing up with other providers. Believe it when it's announced, not before.
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    Either way, you'll know something tomorrow night / Wednesday morning.
    We'll find out nothing then, except for any news on 2.1. No way Apple will even discuss another revision of the iPhone when it was released less than two months ago.
    βen
    Desktop: Early 2008 20" iMac (2.4GHz, 4GB RAM)
    Laptop: Mid 2009 13" Macbook Pro (2.23GHz, 2GB RAM)

just wait and see then call them on it -- savvy staff are usually quite well informed that being said who knows what nextlevelness the applescave will bring. keep your eyes open, or buy a jailbroken iphone off ebay.
    i'm not even mad.
    Macbook Pro 15" 2.4Mhz || iMac 17" || iPad 3 32gig 3g || iPhone 4s || Flickr
    Sell Me Your Old HDDs!

Quote Originally Posted by vietnow View Post
    just wait and see then call them on it -- savvy staff are usually quite well informed that being said who knows what nextlevelness the applescave will bring. keep your eyes open, or buy a jailbroken iphone off ebay.
    There's no need for a jailbroken iPhone, considering the only method of unlock at the moment is through an official carrier. Those of us that really wanted the iPhone (and to stay on Three), and couldn't wait, have already found other methods of obtaining an iPhone and unlocking it. I got a $300 credit from Three for doing so. I can't see them bringing something out now that makes me kick myself and wish I'd waited.
    iMac - 27"/2013
    MBP - 15"/2013
    iPhone 6+ - 128gb/Telstra

Quote Originally Posted by drewbles View Post
    Three up to it's old tricks trying to keep customers from signing up with other providers. Believe it when it's announced, not before.
    It's not just three who do this... with the new Nikon and Sony full frame DLSR's hitting the market soon it's been far less than shocking to see Canon put out an advert that hints at stuff, but doesn't say anything. "Ooooh... a new DSLR from Canon (say the punters)... it must be a 20+mp and full frame D5 Mark II surely... I won't buy that Nikon/Sony until I've seen it!"

Meh... stupid consumers will buy that line before they buy a camera or iPhone.

Always, repeat ALWAYS buy technology based on a current need. If you need a new phone buy an iPhone now from one of the current carriers. If you don't need a new phone then wait... but don't wait based on rumours from some person at a store... that's just stupid.
    See wineweek.com.au for rapid tips on which wines are worth buying and drinking.
    Follow me on twitter: wineweek or uncyherb

^ agreed.

a friend of mine is one of those 'buy on a whim' consumers, always buying some new gadget then ebaying it two months later.

lesson? buy it if you need it/can actually use it otherwise don't waste your coin.
    i'm not even mad.
    Macbook Pro 15" 2.4Mhz || iMac 17" || iPad 3 32gig 3g || iPhone 4s || Flickr
    Sell Me Your Old HDDs!

Madone Guest

Quote Originally Posted by br3tty View Post
    Well, my bad... carry on
    Learn how to speak too... WTF is it with 'my bad?'

Quote Originally Posted by Madone View Post
    Learn how to speak too... WTF is it with 'my bad?'
    It's modern slang mate... just like using WTF.
    See wineweek.com.au for rapid tips on which wines are worth buying and drinking.
    Follow me on twitter: wineweek or uncyherb

Madone Guest

Quote Originally Posted by uncyherb View Post
    It's modern slang mate... just like using WTF.
    Slang for what? WTF is an acronym, can't see how my bad is one! And it's been around since 1970 and it is still shit!

Slang for what? WTF is an acronym, can't see how my bad is one! And it's been around since 1970 and it is still shit!
    Wow. My bad = My fault, sorry. It's not that hard to figure out. And slang gets used all over the place here, why take this particular comment so seriously?
    iMac - 27"/2013
    MBP - 15"/2013

Madone Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fickwalker View Post
    Wow. My bad = My fault, sorry. It's not that hard to figure out. And slang gets used all over the place here, why take this particular comment so seriously?
    Cos it crap english, if you mean sorry, say it... it's the same amount of letters FFS. Other slang, significantly shortens the phrase.

Cos it crap english, ...
    Hmm.

Calm down Madone - you're looking stupid

Madone Guest

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Calm down Madone - you're looking stupid
    LOL My Bad... FFS

*facepalm* Internet vocabulary is srs bizness. Obviously.
    iMac - 27"/2013
    MBP - 15"/2013

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

So about them iPhones, eh?

Bottom line is retail staff generally don't know any more than a well-informed consumer does. At most they'll get a 24 hour head start...definitely not months of advance knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast