Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Ľ Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Mactalkers forming a telco supply buying group??

This sugestion was made by me on one of the posts here on mactalk but I'd also like to start it off as fresh post.

I don't know how many mactalkers are registered here at mactalk but there must be quite a few. There is a lot of buying power here as a consumer group, even if it were only 400 individuals. If everyone at mactalk could get their heads together as a pooled group and the buying pool invited telecommunications suppliers to submit offers for supply of goods and services, i.e iphones and the data carriage TO US, I'll bet we could get a good group deal. As we continue to act as individuals, we have no buying power. We are buying expensive consumer goods here, not $30.00 worth of groceries to get 4 cents a (pathetic) litre which you just paid for in higher prices anyway. We are buying upwards of $800 worth of goods and then the supply of data and services worth $1000 or more per year, ongoing.

Locking into present day time/data contacts is an example. Nine months ago, I hooked up to telstra on the 3G for my laptop because I need the portability for commercial purposes. Its fast but expensive at $59.00 per month for 200mb data trans. It was the best deal at the time. Now they are offering new customers 750mb data for the same thing and price. But I locked in at 24 months at 200mb. Now I'm really septic about that. Regret my decision.

There is a lot of valid talk here on mactalk by dissatisfied buyers of goods and services provided by telcos, particulalrly in relation to the iphone and the associated data costs. I'll buy an iphone when all this get sorted out, till them, I'm sitting on the fence because when the frenzy dies down, hopefully some sensible competition will drive prices down.

Why don't we here at mactalk form a buying group and buy from a supplier who wants our business. In turn, that supplier will quickly become accountable to a large buying group instead of individuals and will act accordingly with pricing and service. I'll bet with 400 or so potential buyers we'd have some good buying power.

Mods and fellow mactalkers, what do you think.

It's a good idea. Not much dfiferent to being a business customer.

Quote Originally Posted by scokim View Post
    It's a good idea. Not much dfiferent to being a business customer.
    Exactly, a good example of how this can work. If we can get everyone here at mactalk on board, say the arbitrary 400 mactalkers I refer to, that's equivalent to supplying goods and services to a company with 400 employees.

It could go on to include supply of purchased downloaded music, itunes, software, maybe even computers, perifs, anything we want.

nice idea. practical without having someone constantly arguing for best price/organising/shipping i think not. thats a full time job at big companies.
    Successful Trades With: Slimey, ryano, vivid2, Byrd

2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, 500Gb, 4Gb RAM 24" iMac (Aluminium)

2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 500Gb, 4Gb RAM 13" MacBook (Aluminium)

Yeah, because telcos arn't already competing for business by offering the best deal they can.
    /end sarcasm

Seriously, any gains would be eaten up by transaction costs of someone having to organise it all.

Basicallly, don't go with telstra and you've got a chance of not being ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachie View Post
    nice idea. practical without having someone constantly arguing for best price/organising/shipping i think not. thats a full time job at big companies.
    and:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiprya View Post
    Yeah, because telcos arn't already competing for business by offering the best deal they can.
    /end sarcasm - Seriously, any gains would be eaten up by transaction costs of someone having to organise it all.
    Basicallly, don't go with telstra and you've got a chance of not being ripped off.
    Both are valid observations. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, it will take some organisation to get it going but we can do it without getting bogged down in the detail by making the supplier come to us as a group through mactalk to make the best offer. Imagine a supplier who says "right oh - all members of mactalk are being offered a 32GB iphone with x GB data per month for 12 months for X$. The buying power we have puts us in a very good position opposed to individuals who have zippo buying power.

Trade Unions do this all the time and get their members big discounts simply becuase they have the collective buying power. Reading the forums here at mactalk, there are a lot of unhappy people re telco's everything. Lets get a soultion for our benefit.

Like to see what mods think?

Cheers

In the sense of a collective, this idea bears merit.

well another issue would be meeting and maintaining the minimum required numbers.

id be happy to switch to/join something like this.
    I rekon it's a great idea!
    iPhone 4 32GB
    iMac 24" 2.4Ghz 2GB

nice idea, in fact every enticing i must say. but the practicalities of such an idea just aren't there. i mean we can sit here and beef up the upsides all day, but in reality there are a lot of downsides also.

not to kick your idea in the balls or anything, i mean i'd sign up straight away if a mactalkTelCo way around but i think that we might just have to leave it at group buys for the minute. mactalk doesn't have as many active members as a trade union either, but its getting there!!!!
    i'm not even mad.
    Macbook Pro 15" 2.4Mhz || iMac 17" || iPad 3 32gig 3g || iPhone 4s || Flickr
    Sell Me Your Old HDDs!

Trade unions get good discounts from uncompetitive industries that charge huge markups.

I hate to tell you but the telecommunications industry is pretty competitive* - bargaining is not going to get much of a discount unfortunately.

Seriously, ask someone who negotiates mobile contracts for large companies.

(*I mean competitive in terms of the legal framework the telecoms industry has been created - If we got rid of the legal monopoly Testra has over infrastructure, that will bring lower prices)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanmac View Post
    Like to see what mods think?
    Nice sentiment but I ain't organising it. Too much hassle for me.

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Good idea, stick to the dole!
    The family:
    iPod Nano Graphite 8GB 6th Gen / iPhone 4 32GB Black / iPad 2 16GB wifi
    iMac 21.5" / Mac Mini / AirPort Extreme / AirPort Express

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsVista View Post
    Good idea, stick to the dole!
    He moved up from that. He is now taking donations.. geez. read the forums :P

All jokes aside, Decryption and Currawong are doing the best job ever
    adamd
    iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod nano, iPod Touch, iPod mini, G3+G4 iMac, G4 PowerMac

Just for curiosities sake,
    how would you go about organizing something like this?
    iPhone 4 32GB
    iMac 24" 2.4Ghz 2GB

I would guess the first step is to form an association (like a sporting club), get the members to sign an expression of interest and then talk to a telco's account manager.

remember. Most of us are now on a 1 year contract.

Probably won't be able to make any changes until then

Quote Originally Posted by kogi View Post
    remember. Most of us are now on a 1 year contract.

Probably won't be able to make any changes until then
    Make that 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Quite agree decryption, was never my intention that the mods take on more work, you guys have your hands full and with the new server coming up and all, whew, and you do a top job here at mactalk, period.

As a guest/member here at mactalk, its a suggestion from me for a solution to a problem. Many Macintosh problems I have encountered over the years have been solved here at mactalk. Reading the iphone and telco forums here, plenty have a valid gripe about telcos across the board and that's what got me thinking for a solution for us here at mactalk.

I had in mind they come to us with a proposal. You know, someone with the same entrepreneurial mindset of (the late) John Ilhan, founder of Crazy Johnís is just the sort of person who would take this and run with it.

Our proposal requirements could for example, stipulate that the hand-set and telco service supplier offer mactalkers 6-monthly data sign-up rates at 24 month contract rates instead of all this 24 month contract carry-on. (We all know whats gonna happen one month after we sign up on 24, they'll double the data download minumum for 12's.)

A supplier with a lot of business from one collective source such as mactalk will think twice about ignoring customer calls and concerns in the knowledge that if they don't offer service on our terms, they'll be gone in 6 months. They will think twice about about blowing off a mactalker client because they would have all the other business to consider.

Anyhow, I'll leave it at that from me and the forum as a consensus and the mods can decide if it has merit.

Cheers