Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default ipod touch and Telstra wifi hotspots

OK here's my question.

Telstra offers free access to its wifi hotspots for iphone customers.

I tried it out - find the locale, try to access, you get sent an sms with a temporary password.

SO what is to stop you from then using an ipod touch with 2.0 to access the wifi using the password?

Can anyone test this out? or do you think the hotspots wifi is smart enough to see 'hey this ain't an iphone' and shut you out?
    15" i5 MBP + 09 MacMini(OCZ SSD) + 13" Al macbook + iPad2 + iPhone 4 + ATV 2 wit XBMC!

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

When you request the SMS Token on an iPhone, it charges the session to your iPhone which is attached to an iPhone plan. Therefore, the cost is waived.

When you request the SMS Token with an iPod Touch - the phone number you enter isn't attached to an iPhone plan and as such it costs you.

Cheers.

Hey nice Bubs avatar!
    15" i5 MBP + 09 MacMini(OCZ SSD) + 13" Al macbook + iPad2 + iPhone 4 + ATV 2 wit XBMC!

It would work fine regardless of what device you are on. But you'd still have to have your iphone with you to get the sms token sent to you. But there's no reason why you couldn't use a laptop (as far as I'm aware).

Hell you could let a friend use it... they would just need you to read out the token over the phone!

You can use the hotspot via Airport on your laptop. You simply get the sms sent to your mobile and it's charged back to your mobile phone account. Then enter the code from the sms into the right place in safari and away you go. Used to do it regularly (until I got my iPhone, now I just use that.)
    More Mac stuff than my wife approves of...