Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hey,

I'm getting an iMac G4 tomorrow and I just realised that both use the 200 pin SODIMM 2700 ram.

My question is, I have a removeable 1 gig chip in my powerbook. Can I remove the ram from the powerbook and put it in the iMac, and use the stock ram from the iMac in the powerbook.

So the setup would go from

Powerbook (256 built in + 1x 1gig RAM module)
    iMac (512 ram module)

to:

Powerbook (256 built in + 512 from imac)
    Imac (1 gig from Powerbook)

Thanks
    -Mike

Apparently you can - but try it and see what happens

you should have no problems. However, I would wait for a response from MacMate personally...

*waiting*

Ric?................

Awesome.

My only worry is accessing the 'stock' slot in the iMac... as 1 gig is the max ram available, I'm guessing it'd have to go into that spot, and not the 'user' slot.

Yes, that will work.

Yo,

If I put the 1 gig in the spare ram slot, it will bring the machine to 1.25 gigs of ram - which the iMac doesn't support. Will it just ignore the excess RAM?

Cheers
    -Mike

I dought you could, ones a desktop, which would use desktop ram, and ones a laptop with uses smaller laptop ram, asuming that apple use desktop and laptop ram.

But give it a try, and good luck on opening a powerbook. Are you getting an imac g4 or the new g5?
    MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 15" | iMac Core 2 Duo 20"
    iPod 5G 30GB | iPod nano 4GB | Apple TV 40GB | iPhone 3G 8GB

They DO use the same ram.

I now have a Powerbook G4 and an iMac G4 17".

There's no reason as to why it wouldn't work. The "user" slot in the bottom of the iMac takes the same SO-DIMMs as your PowerBook. Its the "service" slot that takes standard desktop style DIMMs.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

Okay - so does anyone know if I install ram in excess of what the computer supports, will it still work, and just ignore the extra...

Don't quote me on this, but i don't think it'll boot. You can try it though and see what happens...the worst thing that'll happen is that it won't boot until you remove some RAM.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

Originally posted by fompsweeva@Apr 25 2005, 03:36 PM
    Okay - so does anyone know if I install ram in excess of what the computer supports, will it still work, and just ignore the extra...
    The Mac should boot fine and just show up as what ever the maximum RAM is that it supports.

Originally posted by WonderBoy@Apr 26 2005, 01:19 PM
    The Mac should boot fine and just show up as what ever the maximum RAM is that it supports.
    that is unless it doesn't supports a higher density which I think may be the downfall. From what I gather, the iMacs support a max density of 256mbit which infact rules out even some 512mb modules (mainly the single sided ones).

This is taken from Apple's developer section on their iMacs and is the same for all iMac models that accept DDR as far as I can see.
    Memory: The computer comes with 256 MB of DDR333 SDRAM installed in an internal 184-pin DIMM expansion slot, with a build-to-order option of 512 MB. A second user-accessible slot accepts an SO-DIMM with up to 512 MB. The maximum supported memory is 1 GB. For more information, see “System RAM”.
    You are further limited by the height of the So-DIMM. Some larger sized (MBs) modules are up to 2inches high however the iMacs only support 1" or 1.5". I have read a bit of some 1gb low density modules being made, but they are rather expensive. I guess you can always give it a go and the worst that could happen is you have to put the ram back in your powerbook.

The internal slot in an iMac G4 takes a full-sized DIMM, while the user-serviceable one takes an SO-DIMM (laptop ram) sized part. I know at least the first gen were like this anyway.
    Successful trades: mwot, Clickbot, decryption