Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

FingerWorks MacNTouch

Who's seen this? It's a replacement keyboard for our laptops with a non-mechanical touch sensitive panel similar to our mouse pads or iPod controls.

I've never seen anything like it before, just wondering if anybody's shelled out the US$259+p&h (AS IF&#33, knows anyone who has (not likely), or seen reviews of this anywhere online.

Going to a mousepad-like surface means a lot of flexibility in the drivers. Stuff like guestures and hotspots should only be the begining of the coolness... how about integrating graphics tablet functionality? Anyone got any other ideas?

I'm fairly certain it's entirely flat and what look like bumps and contours are just shading, so it's just a big touch sensitive slab that could be printed with any layout. (They do DVORAKs too)

Edit: Added Image.
    3 weeks and 70 kernel panics... upgrading from my 12" G4 iBook to the 2.16Ghz Macbook was really worth it.

I have to say that looks like a real pain to use!

That's certainly a very funky ergo keyboard. Wouldn't be any harder to get used to than a regular ergonomic keyboard.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

That would really stuff up my typing speed

I don't like it. It looks kinda... tacky. The PB loses its elegance with a keyboard like that.

It looks completely flat which would make it quite weird to type on. Any manufacturer can make a flat keyboard but there are a couple of reasons they don't. One of them is that it doesn't allow for satisfactory feedback. You want to know that when you think you're pressing a key, that you are indeed actually pressing it. That is why keyboards are the way they are now and the reason they are not silent... which is also possible.
    'Always' and 'never' are the two words you should always remember never to use.

Originally posted by Phillip@Apr 22 2005, 04:09 PM
    I would hate to have that 'Delete' button where it is now. I would be pressing it a lot thinking it was 'Space'.
    True. My OS would never be the same again - Deleted files all over the place...