Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Default Is your SO a complete luddite?

So, tonight it's a little cool in western Brisbane. Like about 1 degree...

My SO is heading to bed.

We have a split system air conditioner in the bedroom (one of those funky Art Cool ones)...

When you turn it on via the remote, it chimes. And when you turn it off, it chimes again but a slightly different tune.

Last night I set it all up so that she (the SO) would only have to press the ON button and there would be 26 degrees of lovely heat pumping away into the room.

I'm in my study, and I hear the chime. Lovely. Then another chime. Then another, and quickly followed by a series of about 10 chimes before I go flying down the hallway to find out if she's collapsed on the remote control!

Oh no. "It wouldn't turn on!" was the opening statement. Why do you say that? "The light was on, and it was blowing air but it wasn't HOT air straight away". sigh....

I have confiscated the remote.

Without divulging names and divorce details, do you have a similar story?
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

I just love how your post and avatar seem to meld beautifully...

Along semi similar lines... (and only thing I can think of off top of my head) With this cold weather, my fiancée has taken to trying to control the Wii with her hands in her lap... unfortunately the Wii sensor bar doesn't really read so well when it can't actually see the mote...
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

What does this SO do for you? ie why are you with her?
    Just wondering.
    "Every act of creation is first of all an act of destruction." - Pablo Picasso

Suitcase somewhere between Melbourne and Brisbane

My wife isn't too bad, she used to complain about the mythtv box we were using, and why can't we have normal tv. We got Foxtel IQ a while back, she likes mythtv now

Mind you she was the one who convinced me to order my iphone on launch day (she got one at the same time). I was going to wait the rush out, but I'm glad I didn't it sounds like the wait it still bad
    Brisbane Cocoaheads | App Fission | Tune Locator - find nearby radio stations on your iPhone

My wife is intelligent. I introduced her to Pages, and after simply explaining "check out the tabs in the inspector and the top bar for settings for everything" she had no trouble creating documents. She programs the car satnav too.

Morn: You've never had a girlfriend, have you?
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Well... no. Never more than a one night stand.
    "Every act of creation is first of all an act of destruction." - Pablo Picasso

My aunty was looking for her sunglasses.
    She was wearing them, and looking through them.

She has squirted herself in the face with a pretty darn hard blowing garden hose while looking after our house while we were on holiday, then rang us to tell us what she did.

... I could go on for days.
    adamd
    iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod nano, iPod Touch, iPod mini, G3+G4 iMac, G4 PowerMac

Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    Last night I set it all up so that she (the SO) would only have to press the ON button and there would be 26 degrees of lovely heat pumping away into the room.
    26 degrees????? No wonder there's a global warming problem! Buy her some freakin pyjamas.
    If you can keep your head while all those around you are losing theirs, then maybe you haven't quite grasped the seriousness of the situation.

there would be 26 degrees of lovely heat pumping away into the room.
    OMG, what wimps. Try a Melbourne winter, I wish we had your weather this morning.

BTW In Melbourne I really don't know if the Lord Mayor is a luddite or not, but he has his own song...

VIDEO NO WORKY

Quote Originally Posted by morn View Post
    Well... no. Never more than a one night stand.
    In DS9, the real Morn is a massive player.

My SO is actually very good with technology. In fact, when she first met me, was so sure of herself that she actually thought she might be better than me. With technology, that is. But I showed her.

After one and a half years of being together, she yesterday admitted that I might be better with technology than her.

Yes! *pumps fist in air*

Quote Originally Posted by SyncMan View Post
    OMG, what wimps. Try a Melbourne winter, I wish we had your weather this morning.
    Ummm... it was 0 at our house this morning. brrrrrr.....
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

what is an SO...im a little dense today
     MacBook Pro V4.1, 2.4Ghz, 250GB DD, 4 GB RAM
     Apple 20" Cinema Display & Silver Bluetooth KB & MM
     iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    - 1TB, 320GB & 160 GB Free Agent External HDD (Time Machine, Media & Stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Water Boy View Post
    what is an SO...im a little dense today
    Significant other.

Zero in Brisbane? Get out of here. Does it really get that cold up there?

My SO is perfect in every way! I picked her up from work the other day and she was playing DS and I am typing this post on her Macbook Pro

Oh there's plenty of people who don't know what bytes are...

They don't even know where the power button to their computer is. (I warn most of them to get a Mac, they don't listen and call me once a week with their PC problems)..

Such is life.

Wally

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Oh there's plenty of people who don't know what bytes are...

They don't even know where the power button to their computer is. (I warn most of them to get a Mac, they don't listen and call me once a week with their PC problems)..

Such is life.

Wally
    I try and get all my friends to get Macs, but due to the price they all get PCs.

Guess who has to come over and fix (reformat) it when it's riddled with viruses, spyware and runs slower than a snail? Yeah, me.

I should stop doing it to teach them a listen until they pony up the cash to buy a Mac! Especially since Macs have dropped in price since I bought mine.

My ex was hopeless with tech. Couldn't even program the IQ and all you had to do was a button. Phones? Didn't sms, never turned on voicemail, used a computer only at work, didn't even have a free email account.
    Needless to say we didn't work out...
    Well that and his belief that Australia betrayed John Howard. You can only overlook so many flaws
    My carbon footprint is PRADA.
    If you are bored, find me on iChat, visit my web page, read my uninteresting blog, Tweet me, and if all that fails - yell to get my attention.

I admit I'm not super tech savvy but I can manage most things that I need to. My SO is pretty hopeless though. Back in the days of external modems, he was trying to use his flatmate's computer to send email. He complained he couldn't get the internet to work. Question "did you turn on the modem?" Response "what's a modem?"
    I am hoping to convert him to Mac now that there are new intel macs so he'll still be able to run his PC-only work software? His PC laptop is ok for what he does on it but I have to solve any problems instantly which is pretty annoying considering I almost never use a PC so it usually takes me a few minutes to remember how to do things. Plus, I have to update his virus software because he never remembers to do it (and I don't think he even knows how!) I set up his facebook too so that he could contact some friends.
    2.5GHz MacBookPro (early 2008), iPhone 3Gs
    iBook G4 in need of rescue
    iPod G3 somehow still going

Quote Originally Posted by WholesaleMagic View Post
    Significant other.

Zero in Brisbane? Get out of here. Does it really get that cold up there?
    I live in the Western Suburbs.... and it was -1 this morning just before 7am. Sometimes (not that often really) it gets bloody cold up here.

Suitcase somewhere between Melbourne and Brisbane

I live in the Western Suburbs.... and it was -1 this morning just before 7am. Sometimes (not that often really) it gets bloody cold up here.
    I'm out west as well, I honestly didn't think it was as cold today as Tuesday morning. Second lost of frost on the windscreen for the week.
    Brisbane Cocoaheads | App Fission | Tune Locator - find nearby radio stations on your iPhone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast