Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Now this is extremely newb but is there a text editor available as part of the standard install. Basically I want something along the lines of notepad or gedit, so preferably not emacs or vi. If there isn't any, can someone recommend one for me

Don't worry found out how to make TextEdit in plain text. Initially thought that it would be a text editor (from the name obviously) but when I initially tried to save, the only file type options were rtf and doc. Just found out that you can make it plain text by Shift+Command+T

SubEthaEdit is just as quick and simple as TextEdit, but much nicer to use..

/\
    || What he said.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Thanks guys,

Was bit hesitant about getting it as it seemed bit more complex program than required with the sharing features but tried it and it's fairly good, main feature i like is the indenting, makes things much simpler and neater. Now only if it could autocomplete variable names for me as i type... (unless it already has it and i don't know about it :o )

BBedit is my personal choice.