Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I have had my iPhone unlocked from Telstra seemed to go OK. When I put in the three card I get no coverage. I have tried restoring the phone with the 3 SIM in to no avail. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Default wifi now not working

I have successfully managed to activate the 3G and can surf the web via 3G. But now, my wifi which was working perfectly fine before, is now not working. WiFI keeps reverting to 3G. I tapped new lease, i turned off wifi, i turned it back on, i closed the original connection and reconnected, i did everything accordin got mac site. I turned off iphone completely, restarted modem... now i don't know what to do. But what's more interesting, is in airplane mode, i've turned on wifi,and wifi not workign. ever since activtaing the 3G, wifi doesn't work. help?

Quote Originally Posted by iphone666 View Post
    I have successfully managed to activate the 3G and can surf the web via 3G. But now, my wifi which was working perfectly fine before, is now not working. WiFI keeps reverting to 3G. I tapped new lease, i turned off wifi, i turned it back on, i closed the original connection and reconnected, i did everything accordin got mac site. I turned off iphone completely, restarted modem... now i don't know what to do. But what's more interesting, is in airplane mode, i've turned on wifi,and wifi not workign. ever since activtaing the 3G, wifi doesn't work. help?
    Hi, Have you tried turning off data roaming under Settings:General:Network?

Quote Originally Posted by iva View Post
    All sorted now. In case anyone else needs to set this, the correct code was:
    **5005*7672*+61430004010#
    i tried this, and i get "
    Setting Succeeded
    Service Center Address
    No Address"

but can't send SMS's

edit.. oops, yes i can

Hey guys first post,
    so what ever i do i can't get my iphone to show at 3G signal even though i'm in an area that i know is 3G, also it always says roaming not 3,
    also does using three services incur extra charge when on roaming?
    Cheers,
    Mark

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Roaming data is $1.65/mb - SMS and calls remain the same cost. Check to make sure the Enable 3G option is set, and try a manual network selection too.

thanks for a speedy reply, so this means that my3 cost at that rate as well. have to make sure i don't use it at home.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Planet3 (anything on the three.net.au domain) is always free, roaming or not.

Quote Originally Posted by retroneo View Post
    You will also need to be over half way into your contract.
    Can someone expand on this?

Is it money or Three or Optus and is it still the case?

Sorry not sure if anyone has ask this before, I am getting an iPhone 3G outright from Telstra and planning to unlock it, I have been getting different versions of every provider's unlock policy:

1. Once you unlock it's entirely free, but the moment you join a provider, it's lock to that.
    2. A guy from Optus World claimed that they don't lock BYO iPhones, is that true?
    3. This is more towards this thread, does Three lock the iPhone when you join them?
    Successful Trade: AppleSammy

Quote Originally Posted by fuchingsiang View Post
    3. This is more towards this thread, does Three lock the iPhone when you join them?
    No. Your iPhone remains unlocked.

Hi All,
    I am having MASSIVE problems setting up my unlocked phone to the 3network. I have done all that I am supposed to do, followed previous threds in setting up 3services etc, but it just wont work. What am I doing wrong - I am so sad without my iPhone I could cry! My phone keeps asking me to conntect to iTune and then I have to reset my phone etc. Once I do this and it actually works... I have no access to the internet, Facebook, email etc - can accept and make calls, but then if I turn my phone off....it resets itself!!!!! This is really causing me some distress

Try doing a DFU restore as outlined in tcn33's guide here:
    How To Put Your iPhone Into DFU Mode | MacTalk Australia

Default This works for me!

This site has the thing you need! "http://help.benm.at/help.php"

Open this site in Safari on your iphone: "http://help.benm.at/au.php"
    Press: H3G install that profile and restart your Iphone. Now tethering will work.

Quote Originally Posted by sendai View Post
    So you don't want calls to go to voice-mail when you are on a call? That's all that notification is telling you.

The fact that it disappears after a few moments is not worth worrying about it. If you really want it gone, disable voice-mail on engaged tone or jail-break and modify a plist (not sure if the plist is the same one as the one in 1.1.3/4.)
    unfortunately the message in my phone does not disappear. I have to tap on the "Dismiss" button. It's annoying. I've disabled all call forwarding set up with my account. Even called up 3 support. Those stupid Indians (sorry no offense) keep arguing with me saying it's a fault with my iPhone. Which i can confirm is not (it works fine with any other carrier).

So any suggestion to disable it without Jail Breaking?
    (BTW I'm using OS 3.0)
    Last edited by rizi; 24th June 2009 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rizi View Post
    Those stupid Indians (sorry no offense)
    I don't think that their race has anything to do with it - I've spent plenty of hours on the phone to Australian operators at Telstra who couldn't fix my issues.

The fact of the matter is you're using an iPhone on a non-official carrier, and your carrier provides best-effort support for your handset. Andrew Harrison has created a great carrier bundle which solves this issue. The only "hacking" you need to do is to copy-paste a line into terminal. Follow his instructions here:
    3 Carrier Bundle for iPhone - Andrew Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by yossarian1508 View Post
    Hi all,

I've just set up my iphone and all is working except my outgoing mail under the bigpond account. I have added smtp.three.net.au as an additional outgoing server but still no luck.

My .mac mail seems to work fine.

Does anyone know how I can send emails using my bigpond account?

Thanks.
    Hey yossarian1508, Do the following:

Do everything as you did before.
    Change the Outgoing Mail Server settings to the following:
    1. SMTP Server: smtp.three.com.au:25
    2. leave the user name and password to blank
    3. Save
    4. if it says it failed to configure with SSL on and asks to try without SSL, Select Yes (i.e. Try without SSL)

this worked for me

Thanks Exocet, it's great link! but is there a way to do this without jail breaking?

(btw 9/10 times I call 3 customer care, it's very unhelpful, most of the time I end up requesting them to transfer me to someone local. Locals manage to always help me out quick and easy... It might just be me or the training they receive or something else. but that's how it happens... Oh and I'm not a racist!)

Thanks Exocet, it's great link! but is there a way to do this without jail breaking?
    Read the article carefully...right down the bottom - probably do update 3, and then the steps in update 1.
    Update
    An .ipcc file [essentially the .bundle above wrapped up nicely for iTunes] can be used as an easy way to install the carrier settings.

.ipcc Install Instructions
    Download hutchison_au.ipcc.
    Connect your iPhone to your computer and fire up iTunes, then select your iPhone in the sidebar.
    Hold option and click the “check for update” button and select the .ipcc file. iTunes will load it to the phone. You may need to reboot or remove/replace your SIM to see the changes.
    Update 2
    Apple have disabled the adding of non-signed .ipcc files in iTunes 8.2, released alongside iPhone OS 3.0. Everything in the default carrier bundle [ie: out of the box settings, without my carrier bundle applied] works fine, but settings need to be added manually for MMS and tethering.

Update 3
    There’s now a workaround to enable unsigned .ipcc files. Fire up terminal and put in the following command: defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE and then follow the instructions above.

Hi Exocet - thanks to you and AndrewH. I have my unlocked 3GS working on my three sim with x-series, however, I can't seem to get the ipcc thing working: that setup seems necessary to avoid some glitches and make the phone experience more seamless ( very important for wife's phone!). I'm not a terminal sort of guy, but followed the instructions I believe to the letter. When iphone hooked up to itunes, open looking for ipcc file but they are grayed out (not recognized). Any thoughts?>
    Beware the Mysterons!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast