Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31

Infidel.

(;
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

I've always been tempted to try OS X on my TAM for fun, but why would you want to when OS X 10.2 can probably run less, and be painfully slow to use. Mac OS 9.1 is the sweet spot for the TAM in my opinion - 9.2 was only designed for machines running OS X alongside.

With it being so close in hardware to a 5500/6500 (short of missing a few ports and a differing chime - I think even the Gesalt ID is the same), I don't see why OS X wouldn't work - and recall the "dead" TAMs which tried were resurrected with pulling the PRAM battery and power for a couple of days.

I'm playing Myth and Myth II on mine at the moment.

JB

Second post for day -

20th Anniversary Macintosh CPU Screen Stand Part No Bass Power Supply | eBay

Looks like a fair condition TAM sans the sub/power supply - not a terrible way to spend $400 (shipping seems cheap to Australia @ < $100), then wait it out for a sub (or hack your own PSU!) The LCD is the same from a PowerBook 3400 and can be replaced.

That one's already gone, Byrd!

There's one for about $7500 though! That was the original sale price... I never thought we'd see that day... Of course, no one's paid the money yet.

I don't recall now if I tried disconnecting both the power, and the PRAM battery, and leaving it... Before I tried the specific combo of - disconnect power cord and PRAM, PLUS pop a paperclip over the PRAM terminals - and leave for a day or so... I just know it was bloody scary!!!

There's been a few modded TAMs shown off on YouTube... typically using a C2D Mini's gizzards, and a nice hi res screen - even touch screen. And, even with working buttons on the front... I guess I applaud the engineering, and extending the machine's life, but then - it's not really a TAM any more...
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Something about Jimby.

Unhappy Where are TAM sites?

Perhaps may Cosmichobo know something.
    J

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobert View Post
    Perhaps may Cosmichobo know something.
    J
    Cosmichobo owns a site on TAM.

Wow, I actually remembered my login first attempt! That's a first. I don't think I've been back here since around 2010. And sorry for the long post here....lots to go over.

I used to run 20thanniversarymac.com, but sadly I just didn't spend any more time with it and I let the domain drop so I don't even have it any more. Where I left it I really needed to update the site and make it more presentable and I just never got around to it. I didn't realize the ning site was down too, TAM sites are dropping off one by one. Where is a TAM owner to turn? This forum here might be about it now.

Way back when I had a lot of spare time in 2011, and I was more energetic on building my site I went to the archive and rebuilt the tam axon site from scratch. I was going to add a working html version to 20thanniversarymac.com in place of the static jpg one, but it didn't quite make it up. I still have all the files in place as well as everything from my site.

20thanniversarymac went down about middle of last year so it's been gone awhile, not sure how long ning has been down. I suspect they dropped the free accounts or else there was no activity and it dropped automatically, that's what happened to my community boards. I don't know.

I boxed my TAM up last year and it's been sitting down in basement for awhile. I've been thinking about it and really want to get it out again. Not sure when I'll get it back upstairs, I'll go through and do a whole new unboxing event just for me. The past week I renewed my interest in doing something online again. But instead of bringing back 20thanniversarymac I went and relaunched the TAM AXON website that I had planned on adding to my site a few years ago as a stand alone site.

Hopefully, this is ok with the original administrator, I have no way of contacting him for approval. Maybe if he reads this, he can drop a line. If I remember right, he sold his TAM years ago. I go into more detail in the news section why I went this route, mostly it was easier and also I think because the TAM AXON site was the best site on the web for TAM owners and the simplistic web look, I just couldn't resist. I had a lot more time back in 2011 to do web stuff, so I'm glad I did most of the work then. I plan on merging the content from 20thanniversarymac into the TAM AXON site, which hasn't been done yet. Right now, while the site is live it's just the main pages as they were but all linked up, the community boards are new and ready to use. The old ones from my site are gone and of course the ones from TAM AXON are long lost. They can't even be accessed in the web archive.

It will take awhile but eventually I'll get everything from 20thanniversarymac, like the software and drivers, articles and merge them into TAM AXON. But I intend to keep the look of TAM AXON as best I can, at least on the main pages. I may have to alter some additional pages depending on the content. That being said, I have no plans to relaunch 20thanniversarymac but just run the new TAM AXON.

The link for the new TAM AXON is tamaxon.net

Take a look when you get a chance, should look familiar and hope to see you around!

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    Wow, I actually remembered my login first attempt! That's a first. I don't think I've been back here since around 2010. And sorry for the long post here....lots to go over.

I used to run 20thanniversarymac.com, but sadly I just didn't spend any more time with it and I let the domain drop so I don't even have it any more. Where I left it I really needed to update the site and make it more presentable and I just never got around to it. I didn't realize the ning site was down too, TAM sites are dropping off one by one. Where is a TAM owner to turn? This forum here might be about it now.
    The link for the new TAM AXON is tamaxon.net

Take a look when you get a chance, should look familiar and hope to see you around!
    Thank you for spending time in explaining the life of vanished TAM website.

I regularly went to http://appletam.ning.com/forum, before it disappears. So the explanation about no activity can be forgotten.

During the life of http://appletam.ning.com/forum, I asked Bob B. whether we can use his website and he was OK. Unfortunately, his answer is http://appletam.ning.com/forum so I do not have access anymore.
    I did not find the old forum, I mean questions and answers (TAM talk).

Hoping that other TAM-website owners will speak in this forum.

Lightbulb Unusual TAM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20th-Annive...0AAOSwpI5eGhXM
    MacWorld 98 Demo unit!

Are there new sites on TAM?

Question Floppy drive

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Apple's Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh (TAM)...

My TAM has laid dormant for two and a half years now... last time I played with her, the internal CD was either not working at all, or mounting, but then failing to read discs. The floppy is dead - similar issue - sometimes mounts a disk, but fails to read/write. The external SCSI port doesn't work - sometimes registers an external drive, but it is garbled.
    I am surprised that the floppy drive was unable to read; I encountered this problem with old disk drives (like the 800 Ko). Do you know what was the problem?

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31