Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stewiesno1 View Post
    Ooer ! That's a shocker. It looks like a TV mounted on top of a plastic breadbin. Gee, I wonder why Gateway are in trouble if they put out such good looking computers as those.

Stewie
    Honestly, to me, that gateway looks like a very ugly iMac G4 :P. Jonathan Ive must have been influenced a little.
    | iMac Alu.| 11-inch MacBook Air | iPhone 4S 64GB

VIDEO NO WORKY

As you may have noticed in my HELP thread, yesterday I opened my TAM for the first time. I say first time, as it wont be the last - still after that PAL TV/FM card, and hope to put a fresh vertical optical drive in one day too.

The above video shows me opening the TAM... goes for about 10 minutes...

Before this, I really hadn't worked a lot on computers, beyond simple RAM instals, with the exception of my Macintosh Quadra 840av, which died soon after I got it 2nd hand in Dec97 (infact, the very reason I became a TAM owner). But, the Quadra was just a little bit easier to get inside of... namely 4 screws on the back, and the cover lifted off!

Nonetheless, I managed to do the job with only 1 breakage and 2 chips of paint... the breakage occured putting the TAM back together - the "clips" (gunshots!) clearly were not designed to be played with much... one of them snapped off, but as there are all the screws right beside their location, it wont cause any problems, thankfully.

Overall, the only hard bit was the damned grill on the top-rear of the computer (as you'll see if you watch the vid). My comment was lost in the editing, but went something like - What the HELL possessed you guys [Apple designers] to do this!?

In 3 years at Uni studying film/tv, I never went in front of the camera, so, please appreciate where I'm coming from when I say, this was very much going against my better judgement, but I really want people out there to know how to open a TAM (and learn from my mistakes and experience).

I am planning to make a website soon with all the steps in detail... (Also considering hijacking tam.axon.net... though don't know enough to run the "discussion forum" areas) But knowing me it'll be a while til that eventuates.

For now enjoy me stumbling half blindly through the process. Damn Apple for that bloody rear grill!!!
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post

As you may have noticed in my HELP thread, yesterday I opened my TAM for the first time. I say first time, as it wont be the last - still after that PAL TV/FM card, and hope to put a fresh vertical optical drive in one day too.

The above video shows me opening the TAM... goes for about 10 minutes...

In 3 years at Uni studying film/tv, I never went in front of the camera, so, please appreciate where I'm coming from when I say, this was very much going against my better judgement, but I really want people out there to know how to open a TAM (and learn from my mistakes and experience).

I am planning to make a website soon with all the steps in detail... (Also considering hijacking tam.axon.net... though don't know enough to run the "discussion forum" areas) But knowing me it'll be a while til that eventuates.

For now enjoy me stumbling half blindly through the process. Damn Apple for that bloody rear grill!!!
    Just watched that and all it has done is confirm to me that I don't want to ever have to do that. Even if I find a PAL TV/FM tuner card, I don't think I'd have the courage to risk damaging the machine just to install it. I do have a dream of one day having a PAL tuner installed so I can connect my NES to it and play Super Mario Bros. 3 and The Legend of Zelda. I applaud your bravery. Next time can you use a Red Camera.
    Something about Jimby.

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Just watched that and all it has done is confirm to me that I don't want to ever have to do that. ....Next time can you use a Red Camera.
    *lol*

a) Glad I've put you off. To be frank, as happy as I am that I've done it, it's fixed none of my problems, so part of me wishes I'd waited til I had a "bigger" reason to do it. On the other hand, I've put it off for 2 years (which was when Marc Aumont sent me his pics/instructions), so it was a long time coming.

b) Supply me the camera, and I'll do it again (The camera may not come back straight away hwoever.... )
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Very interesting video, thanks for making it and putting it up.

Just out of curiousity, what was that song that you had at the end?
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

Good video CH. I can sooo relate to that awful sound of plastic parting from plastic and the sharp CRACK that it makes when doing so. Just like it is snapping in two. Anyone who has ever pried inside a Powerbook or iBook will know what I mean.
    I enjoyed the music too .
    You have inspired me to have a go at mine. Well after a few other projects get finished , that is.

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Very interesting video, thanks for making it and putting it up.

Just out of curiousity, what was that song that you had at the end?
    You're welcome... I ummed and arrred about it a lot, but I know how hard I searched for info to open the TAM up, and figured there's no point opening it without sharing the knowledge... The video is really just a gimmick though - I hope anyone really wanting to open their TAM will (as I invited) ask me for more details, as I have more, and will be making more...

This is where the music came from:

VIDEO NO WORKY

The song itself was not commissioned specifically for the TAM, I believe. The ad was an award winner, and apparently played in Apple stores in the US (and I guess other TAM selling countries) to promote it...

Good video CH. I can sooo relate to that awful sound of plastic parting from plastic and the sharp CRACK that it makes when doing so. Just like it is snapping in two.

You have inspired me to have a go at mine. Well after a few other projects get finished , that is.
    Thanks That sound... then when I put it back together, one of them did break...

Before you have a go, I'll post some pics of the clips on that rear grill. I think knowing what it looks like should help you know what you're doing to get it out. It was really the only daunting part... Also, the other "trick" was that below the CD-ROM door there are 2 "tabs". That's what I spent so long looking at. Basically when you have the two parts seperated, you just need to lift a little to get them out - they don't need any heavy duty pressure or anything. Just that they will stop it opening if you pull it straight open.

cosmichobo, have to add that I am really enjoying this thread.
    And also would add my accolades for your courage. And my thanks for taking the time to record your adventures.

There's something very reassuring to hear (and see) your muttering and fumbling, but also your success at what you wanted to do, to begin these repairs. It's like watching a child take his first steps, a small miracle in the making.

PS I too mutter and fumble my way thru similar 'computer operations', I'm not quite in your league tho ........ you are opening a TAM after all ....

Quote Originally Posted by paulchr View Post
    There's something very reassuring to hear (and see) your muttering and fumbling, but also your success at what you wanted to do, to begin these repairs. It's like watching a child take his first steps, a small miracle in the making.

PS I too mutter and fumble my way thru similar 'computer operations', I'm not quite in your league tho ........ you are opening a TAM after all ....
    Put a simle on my face, thanks paul.

I'd considered putting some kind of song over the top, so you couldn't hear me - except at a few vital parts maybe... but didn't want to ruin the overall feel of what I was doing. That's why I saved the music til the end. The editor in me wanted something bigger to end on... but I guess I didn't give the right performance

I'm sure that a lot of computer techs out there would laugh at how gingerly I treat the TAM. Even just turning it around, you may have noticed, would take me a good 30 seconds+. For the record, I take so long to move the TAM - at any time - due to the FEAR of the speaker buzz, that supposedly can emerge if you mis-treat that big thick umbilical cord.

One thing is for sure... that rear grill is NOT going back on for a while - til I've done all the repairs/changes I want. It will get tucked safely away inside the TAM's original box for safe keeping, cos there's no way I'm going through taking it off again for no good reason!

I just had an email from my Apple mole and she says...
    " The service strategy in Australia and the US was to pack-it up and send it away for repair (whole unit exchange) - due to the complexity of repair at that time. Apple didn't allow the service providers to attempt repair - hence why there is no take-apart in the manuals."

Seeing as there was only ever one place in the States where even the Yanks sent their TAMs in for repair , I think the chances of getting one of these Take Apart guides is practically zero unless someone who used to work in that centre should see this thread.

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

I think the chances of getting one of these Take Apart guides is practically zero unless someone who used to work in that centre should see this thread.
    Yeah... that's largely why I decided - stuff it, I'll do it myself.

I got a reply from Kodak... they had no record of Apple leasing room in their Rochester building...

As much as I was able to open my TAM, the prospect of say, removing the logic board (another suggestion made to me to try fix my SCSI issue - cleaning the connectors on the logic board) is even more daunting now I've seen inside. Basically it will mean removing EVERYTHING, because the board is covered in a spaghetti of cables.

It was a small victory... Another thought is that MAYBE one of those all knowing techs will come across my video on YouTube now...

Something about Jimby.

I found an official repair manual i think, a manual at least, in pdf format. I can get that to you in some way if you still need it.

I gather not many people here visit old hacking forums :P
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,

Quote Originally Posted by Piratbyran View Post
    I found an official repair manual i think, a manual at least, in pdf format. I can get that to you in some way if you still need it.

Is the file about 12MB? Lot of pink and grey text on the pages? Mostly telling you how to run the computer? Or does it have an actual pull-apart guide with diagrams showing the entire computer being dismantled?

There's generally 2 manuals that float around. 1 is just a copy of the user manual - has just general "how to use a computer" type stuff... as well of course as info on the TAM's specifics.

The other has that, plus about 30 more pages that describe the TAM's ports etc, and calls itself a Service Source, but actually explains that the TAM is a "closed unit", to be sent back to Apple for repair...

Give me 10 min and i will find out for sure - lets see what you have for me kdx. I stumbled across an archive of about 12gb of apple service manuals.
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,

I'd be interested if it had a pull apart guide. I currently have the service source as well as the user manual, but I don't have anything that is "technical" regarding the TAM.
    Something about Jimby.

Damn - i have those exact two. I will continue looking through these archives, but sorry for getting your hopes up.
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,

Quote Originally Posted by Piratbyran View Post
    Not ENTIRELY only for hacking... (certainly not my server) but in the day, I had a Hotline server set up on the TAM... and because I even sometimes had "TAM" in the description, I got a few visitors curious about it. It's how I first came across a "TAM manual" - which turned out to be that user manual only version...

One of the TAM's designers recently advised me that there probably is no take-apart guide for the TAM. He certainly wasn't aware of one.

Even tho I've opened mine up, it'd be nice to have one for more specific things... rather than guess work...

It would be great or the community if you could take some hundreds of photos, i could put a guide on my site if you wished.
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,

I miss Mac OS 9. I know OS X is a superior OS. But It doesn't have the same feel as OS 9 did. Maybe it is because I grew up with the classic OS.
    Mac Pro Quad Core 2.4GHz x 2, 8GB RAM, Radeon 5870.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast