Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

As noted, installing OS X Beta on my TAM bricked it for a day or two... And I can't say the "fix" was necessarily what actually restored it... (paperclip on the PRAM battery's connectors overnight).

I'd love to know, though unless you can run 10.3 comfortably, then I'd see little point...
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Default Mac OS X on a tam

As written in the link, it is not me it is John Paul, well if I read well.

J.

Never really impressed with the bTAM.

Plumped for a Directors Special 5500 which was a vastly superior machine.

Is this your TAM running OS X Jacobert? If so, please share your install guide. Most TAM owners are scared off trying to install XPostFacto because of past reports of it killing the machine, which I find unlikely, but something I must try one day.
    I'd say there would be more than a few people very interested in this ( me included ).
    I was always under the impression that this process of installing OSX on a TAM bricked it permanently - obviously not.

Never really impressed with the bTAM.

Ah, you should have looked at the aTAM Harry - a much classier machine ! ;-)

The Directors Edition may have performed better than the TAM especially after a few mods but in looks ( apart from being one of the few black PowerMacs ever produced ) The TAM is like Cinderella standing next to one of her notorious stepsisters.

Stewie
    Last edited by stewiesno1; 9th September 2013 at 11:39 AM.
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    The black DE 5400/5500 is an ugly hefty thing I have to say, and a dime a dozen in Australia - many were sold to schools at the time. My very own DE 5500 sits under the house wrapped in a garbage bag to donate parts to my TAM should it ever play up

Mine have been in storage for a year, wondering if I should get them out?

Oh, any idea if the batteries in these leak? I suppose they would, might be time to check...
    Boxed: Original 128K, SE, LC, Quadra 700, PM5500 DE, PM6100, G4 Cube, AppleCD 300e, Newtons *** Unboxed: //e, //c, IIGS, 128K, 512K, Beige ED, Platinum ED, Plus, SE FDHD, SE/30, Portable, II, IIx, IIfx, Performa 250, LC575, 2 x TAM, 2 x TechStep

Depends on how new they are. Most of my collection has been in storage up in QLD for 18 months, they spent 12 months with the batteries in (all batteries 4 years old or newer). Upon my brief return home last Christmas, all of them fired up perfectly on the first go, apart from a dead HDD and analog board, and showed no signs of leakage. All batteries have now been removed however.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

Where does one even buy the 4.5V PRAM battery these days, or are we re-packing?

I'd remove for long storage. Mine's out (repacked professionally in 06ish) and showing signs of leaking.
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Battery world should have them? I don't know though :/

I am paranoid about battery leaks so ever single one of my vintage Macs have their PRAM batteries removed
    Plus, IIci, IIsi, LC, LCII, LC III, CC, LC475, LC630, Centris650, 6100, 8100, 5260, 7220, 7600. PB: 100, 150, 160, 165, 540, 190, 5300, 1400. Lombard, iMacG3, iBookG3, iBookG4, PBG4, eMac, iMac G4, PMG4, MiniG4, iMacG5

Hmm, probably should go and get them out. Been meaning to play around with them anyhoo, so good excuse.
    Boxed: Original 128K, SE, LC, Quadra 700, PM5500 DE, PM6100, G4 Cube, AppleCD 300e, Newtons *** Unboxed: //e, //c, IIGS, 128K, 512K, Beige ED, Platinum ED, Plus, SE FDHD, SE/30, Portable, II, IIx, IIfx, Performa 250, LC575, 2 x TAM, 2 x TechStep

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacs View Post
    Battery world should have them? I don't know though :/

I am paranoid about battery leaks so ever single one of my vintage Macs have their PRAM batteries removed
    Repacking. I bought up the last easily obtainable remaining stock worldwide last year. I'm sure some obscure places might have them, but Rayovac stopped making these yonks ago.
    Something about Jimby.

Yeah, few years ago I tried Battery World, Dick, Jay... no good. I did see them online at a few places, but as leon notes, they were discontinued ages ago, so I figure you may just be buying a flat-in-a-box battery...

Just get a 3 x 1.5V AA battery holder - Jaycar used to sell them, or I'm sure online they're around - solder on the Mac-specific connector and away you go ...

Ok, so after 18 months in storage, I finally got out my two TAMs. I always wanted to see if the errors I was getting in relation to 'bus error' were due to the processor, and wanted to swap in the HD and Sonnet G3 card from my working TAM to bypass the processor. Well, the HD was 'not mounted', and no amount of effort seemed to get this thing working, apart from initialising it. Great, lost all of my data to date, including the work I'd done to make the USB card work, and my SimCity cities and AfterDark modules.

Incidentally, the failure happens just as the Sonnet extension loads, so no way to bypass the issue. Damn!

Since the move, I can't easily find the other HD (it wasn't in the TAM), and it looks like I'm starting from scratch. I've also got the speaker buzz back, so I'm set back to about 3 years ago. However, part of me is looking forward to starting over again and getting it set up perfectly.
    Last edited by jsarchibald; 16th March 2014 at 04:54 PM.

Did anybody try to contact "Axon technology"?
    I sent mails, no reply. I phoned, no answer.

Not recently, Jacobert...

Life's kinda been in limbo for the past 3 years, so the TAM's not even had a chance of coming out of her box, let alone finding the energy to consider wrestling the TAM site from Bob B. :}

Maybe the best option would simply be to create a new website, that mimicks the original... Oh - if anyone has kept a copy? (Site is gone now - I forget what we last confirmed about it...)

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Just get a 3 x 1.5V AA battery holder - Jaycar used to sell them, or I'm sure online they're around - solder on the Mac-specific connector and away you go ...
    I was wondering what the big deal was and then its that style of battery pack, meanwhile the half sized C batteries that are common in other Macs of that era are dime a dozen.
    "It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" -Steve Jobs.
    PPC:Early 2005 Xserve G5 2.3ghz Intel:Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" 2.3ghz iOS: ATV3, iPhone 4.

Yes, it's a real pain in the neck that they have that rather rare style battery. I gather a few other Macs of the era did have them? 6500 or 5500? (ie the TAM's motherboard sisters)

I'm probably contradicting myself from further back in the thread, but I imagine you could run the TAM without the PRAM battery... though if you had some kind of odd behaviour, you'd want the battery to rule that out as a cause.

Really rather mystical, Mac PRAM bateries...

A Mac SHOULD boot without a PRAM battery installed, although I've known a number of Macs which haven't and particularly a 6100 I had. They can be a bit temperamental and only boot every second or third occasion. The problem of booting without a PRAM battery is that your system time will be out which affects a whole bunch of things and CAN cause file corruption.

I've known times where I've had to run disk first aid as a result of a dead PRAM battery just to get a system stable again after replacing the battery. Generally, just because you can do it, doesn't really mean you should unless you really can't source a battery.
    "It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy" -Steve Jobs.
    PPC:Early 2005 Xserve G5 2.3ghz Intel:Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" 2.3ghz iOS: ATV3, iPhone 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Orestes View Post
    I was wondering what the big deal was and then its that style of battery pack, meanwhile the half sized C batteries that are common in other Macs of that era are dime a dozen.
    Dunno - just seems the "big CRT Macs" as with the 5x0, 5x00 and 6x00 use 4.5 for PRAM and most other machines use 3.6V. At the very least the old Raynovac batteries don't leak and take out the board with it.

In other TAM news, mine is chugging along perfectly in pride of place in my study, with an 80GB 5400RPM drive now installed - it didn't like the 100GB 7200RPM drive I had installed for a while, performing very slowly. Still awesome.

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast