Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Default Boxes: Episode II & Sonnet Crescendo

I remember my message: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/958659-post323.html (#323) about somebody selling one of the boxes.

I think it (and its content) was at a reasonnable price, since he seems to have sold it! He has the keyboard to sell now.

There is somebody else on ebay (Sonnet Crescendo 400 mhz /L2 G3 processorupgrade - eBay (item 280558785270 end time Sep-16-10 12:00:10 PDT)) selling a boxed Sonnet crescendo at 200 USD. i think it is too expensive, it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobert View Post
    There is somebody else on ebay (Sonnet Crescendo 400 mhz /L2 G3 processorupgrade - eBay (item 280558785270 end time Sep-16-10 12:00:10 PDT)) selling a boxed Sonnet crescendo at 200 USD. i think it is too expensive, it is?
    It's more expensive than my offer.... If you are interested, I see you live in Europe so postage should be a bit cheaper. I think 12 euros or something. Oh what the heck. If a European should want to buy this, postage is on me.
    So to be more accurate: AUD 160 for the Sonnet Cresecendo 400 mhz processorupgrade for the TAM. Postage will be something like 25 or 30 dollars to Australia. Postage in Europe is free.
    Last edited by HAL2001; 14th September 2010 at 07:29 AM.

Gee I bought two G3/400 Sonnets that got used in a couple of PM Directors Edtitions for $12 each only about three years ago.
    I know they are getting rarer but still.

Also what seems to be a brand new TAM found in a closet has just been put up on ebay
    TWENTIETH ANNIVERSARY MACINTOSH [TAM 20TH] BY APPLE MAC - eBay (item 370432916404 end time Sep-22-10 17:29:46 PDT)

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

... looks like it has gotten a bit wet ...

Two more on eBay at the moment too. Of course, one declaring itself "once in a lifetime" opportunity... I guess that makes it thrice in a lifetime...
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Two more on eBay at the moment too. Of course, one declaring itself "once in a lifetime" opportunity... I guess that makes it thrice in a lifetime...
    I bought it, cost me almost $550. I'll be over there in a few months, so I'll pick it up in person rather than have it shipped. My wife is SOOOOO going to kill me...but on the plus side, I'm part of the TAM Club!
    Boxed: Original 128K, SE, LC, Quadra 700, PM5500 DE, PM6100, G4 Cube, AppleCD 300e, Newtons *** Unboxed: //e, //c, IIGS, 128K, 512K, Beige ED, Platinum ED, Plus, SE FDHD, SE/30, Portable, II, IIx, IIfx, Performa 250, LC575, 2 x TAM, 2 x TechStep

Quote Originally Posted by jsarchibald View Post
    I bought it, cost me almost $550. I'll be over there in a few months, so I'll pick it up in person rather than have it shipped. My wife is SOOOOO going to kill me...but on the plus side, I'm part of the TAM Club!
    Well you must be in desperate need of a Sonnet Crescendo now. I have one for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL2001 View Post
    Well you must be in desperate need of a Sonnet Crescendo now. I have one for sale.
    Sorry, but I can't change the spec on this one whatsoever. I like to upgrade well used systems, but ones like this that don't come along every day, I just can't molest them. Same as my car, I buy a dash mat and some floot mats, but I can't change the stereo or mags, it doesn't feel right. Same as my G4 Cube.
    Boxed: Original 128K, SE, LC, Quadra 700, PM5500 DE, PM6100, G4 Cube, AppleCD 300e, Newtons *** Unboxed: //e, //c, IIGS, 128K, 512K, Beige ED, Platinum ED, Plus, SE FDHD, SE/30, Portable, II, IIx, IIfx, Performa 250, LC575, 2 x TAM, 2 x TechStep

Quote Originally Posted by jsarchibald View Post
    Sorry, but I can't change the spec on this one whatsoever. I like to upgrade well used systems, but ones like this that don't come along every day, I just can't molest them. Same as my car, I buy a dash mat and some floot mats, but I can't change the stereo or mags, it doesn't feel right. Same as my G4 Cube.
    Molest? There is no molesting involved. You can not see from the outside that something has been upgraded. You just have to open up the TAM (very easy) And than it's bye bye cache-module, hello G3 upgrade. Close the TAM and there is nothing to be seen. It's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL2001 View Post
    You can not see from the outside that something has been upgraded.
    For most any PC, that's probably accurate. Of course, for the TAM, it is wrong. Installing anything other than RAM or L2 cache requires the FAT back, instead of the standard slim back. Instantly makes the TAM look... fat... instead of slim n sexy...
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

For most any PC, that's probably accurate. Of course, for the TAM, it is wrong. Installing anything other than RAM or L2 cache requires the FAT back, instead of the standard slim back. Instantly makes the TAM look... fat... instead of slim n sexy...
    Oeps, you're right. I've sold mine but I just took a look in the manual....

Welcome to the TAM club, jsarchibald - make sure you post pics of it when you receive it Mine cost $350 USD, but I picked it up in person in New York (on my honeymoon, heh) - it also needed a replacement video controller board, now fixed.

If you want to actually use your TAM, you will need the "fat back", it's kind of useless without any expansion to connect it to something else. And a G3 L2 upgrade boosts it along considerably, making it feel as fast as it should be It's definately not molesting - I tend to try to max out every 68K and PPC Mac I keep (which isn't many now), the upgrades make it more interesting.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    make it more interesting.
    When I picked up a PM5500/125 (purely for a stick of RAM inside it; which I pulled as soon as I possibly could for my TAM!), I sat down and had a play with it... for maybe a minute. There just really wasn't that much interesting to do on it.

Expansion at least offers more compatibilities with with modern networking/printing, and modern web browsers.

cheers
    cosmic

Expansion at least offers more compatibilities with with modern networking/printing, and modern web browsers.

cheers
    cosmic
    Expansion makes it a workable computer. Browsing with Classilla and word-processing with Office, music via iTunes. Burn CD's with USB. Harddisks with firewire. It all can be done.

The computer comes with the base unit, bass unit, manuals, CDs, power supply, fat and slim back, some boxes, and other bits and pieces.

I am going to the US at the end of the year, and on the way from New York to Washington D.C., is where the TAM is located, I'll pick it up. They said it was never really used by the previous owner, so it should be in pretty good nick. I'm going to try to bring it back in luggage (hopefully I can fit the TAM in my backpack with some shirts around it for protection, and the rest wrapped up in my luggage. Hopefully I get it back safe and sound.

As far as regular use goes, I don't think I'll use it that often, I just wanted to get one while I still can, and have the opportunity to get it while I am over there.
    Last edited by jsarchibald; 21st September 2010 at 11:40 AM.

Well, how things change in a day.

The wife was not impressed with the purchase, and started feeling negative about the trip over there, because she was concerned how to bring it back. So, I've had it posted to a freight forwarder in the US for about $20, and she will use her account to have it shipped over. So, bad news, I have to fork out more coin, on the plus side, I get it much sooner and don't have to worry about excess baggage and protecting it.

A quick question - I have 3 G3 Power Macintosh 'Outriggers' that either have faulty power supplies or other items I couldn't be bothered fixing (they are junkers to steal parts from), can I use any of these parts in the TAM? I know about computers but not about L2 cache, etc. Can I use any parts from these G3s?

I have plenty of RAM, definitely a few 64MB chips too (having a blonde day - the TAM needs 168pin DIMM chips, the G3s have 168pin PC66 chips, compatible or not?)

Also, I think I have everything except for the proper keyboard (anyone know where I might source one) and all of the boxes, which is great. Thanks for the help guys!

Hi jsarchibald, I also had a concerned wife when I went to pick up my TAM from a guy in NYC

Sorry I didn't get to post this info sooner, noting your second-last post. I ended up bring my TAM back with my myself. Qantas, who we flew with, allowed two bags of luggage up to 25kg each. So once the TAM was in my hands I ended up buying a cheap-ass $30 USD suitcase, heaps of bubble wrap, and packed it all in there securely. Of course, because we were in the US and the TAM basically looked like a bomb, customs went ape shit on it at every stop. Every time they ripped through the packing (my suitcase even had burn marks on it?), but it made it though OK in the end.

I'm pleased I did it in the end though, as it only cost me $30, sweat, tears and the experience of getting back makes this particular Mac very special.

Regarding your G3s, there isn't much you can get from those - apart from a USB 1.1 PCI card if in there, everything else is different. Yes, the RAM is 5V 168-pin DIMMS (not the same as 3.3V DIMMS used in G3 beigeys), it takes 2 x 64MB modules for a total of 128MB

JB

Don't bother finding cache. Just stick a G3 L2 processor upgrade into it. The original processor doesn't cope with anything much more than OS7. 8 was OK, but not as quick as 7.
    I have OS9.1 on mine with 128MB RAM and G3 400Mhz card. I still find it a bit slow.
    Something about Jimby.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Hi jsarchibald, I also had a concerned wife when I went to pick up my TAM from a guy in NYC

Sorry I didn't get to post this info sooner, noting your second-last post. I ended up bring my TAM back with my myself. Qantas, who we flew with, allowed two bags of luggage up to 25kg each. So once the TAM was in my hands I ended up buying a cheap-ass $30 USD suitcase, heaps of bubble wrap, and packed it all in there securely. Of course, because we were in the US and the TAM basically looked like a bomb, customs went ape shit on it at every stop. Every time they ripped through the packing (my suitcase even had burn marks on it?), but it made it though OK in the end.

I'm pleased I did it in the end though, as it only cost me $30, sweat, tears and the experience of getting back makes this particular Mac very special.

Regarding your G3s, there isn't much you can get from those - apart from a USB 1.1 PCI card if in there, everything else is different. Yes, the RAM is 5V 168-pin DIMMS (not the same as 3.3V DIMMS used in G3 beigeys), it takes 2 x 64MB modules for a total of 128MB

JB
    I would have been happy to pick it up, we were right there, but it wasn't worth 3 months of hassle from the ball n chain. She did have a point though, and this way, I'll get it much sooner albeit at a cost. I would have been more than happy to bring it back myself, but oh well. We're flying with V Australia, and with all of our snow gear, and our 32kg allowance, it was just too hard to try to make it all fit!

Thanks for the info about the RAM, damn G3s are good for nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Don't bother finding cache. Just stick a G3 L2 processor upgrade into it. The original processor doesn't cope with anything much more than OS7. 8 was OK, but not as quick as 7.
    I have OS9.1 on mine with 128MB RAM and G3 400Mhz card. I still find it a bit slow.
    Right, so less cache, more cash required? Is there nothing worthwhile on the G3s I can pillage, steal, loot or burn?

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast