Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Oooh, now I can fire up the Newton 2000 as well and be able to get data off it! (Without needing to get an Serial/USB converter, or a wireless card)

Ray O Vac (USA) wrote to me overnight, and advised that there is a local distributor for their products in Melbourne - http://www.futureelectronics.com.
    (Price to be confirmed)

ePowerMac also have them for $12, plus postage.

Techies - would a missing PRAM battery cause a TAM/5500 to power down without warning?
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

You won't ever be able to use an ibook screen in it, sorry. Its not a standard sort of thing, the motherboard addresses it directly, it may be possible, but it would cost you almost as much as a new tam.

For the battery, i suggest using a standard 3v cell (its 3v right) and soldering leads to it. There is no way otherwise it will work.
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,

Quote Originally Posted by Piratbyran View Post
    You won't ever be able to use an ibook screen in it, sorry. Its not a standard sort of thing, the motherboard addresses it directly, it may be possible, but it would cost you almost as much as a new tam.

For the battery, i suggest using a standard 3v cell (its 3v right) and soldering leads to it. There is no way otherwise it will work.
    My friend, Asa, (whom I've only corresponded via eMail as he lives in the USA - he was I think about 17 when he got his TAM in 98, and I've emailed him on and off ever since), has done a lot of crazy things with computers... and has years of experience professionally too... I don't doubt his ability to do it, just his procrastinatory habits (much like my own).

As to the battery - it's 4.5V... JayCar has 3V ones that look very similar, though smaller.

---

Gave up trying to get the iPod to play with the TAM - sound level via the sound in jack wasn't making me happy, and plugging it in just gave me a drive with no songs on it (as per my thread asking how to access my ipod's mp3's).

So I reformatted my flash stick. Took 2 goes to get it right - tried Mac OS Extended Journaled, but it wouldn't mount (TAM wanted to initialise again). UN journaled works though. Yippee - "Dumb Things" by Paul Kelly pumping through the TAMs speakers is glorious... Too hell with the neighbours... its only 4.45pm
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

The Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh Experience

(Let me know if it works... I'm not crash hot at making these *cough* files)

---

The Bose sampler CD included with the TAM is this disc here:

http://database.cd/z6208d209

Bose "Hear the Difference" Volume 2

Good thread. I'll upload a pic of mine when I dig it out from under all the "other " projects.

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

You would technically be able to listen to radio on a Jap version, as long as its an FM station below 90? on the FM dial.

It will still pick up a couple of australian stations though. I know this as my car is an import with a japanese radio.
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    My friend, Asa, (whom I've only corresponded via eMail as he lives in the USA - he was I think about 17 when he got his TAM in 98, and I've emailed him on and off ever since), has done a lot of crazy things with computers... and has years of experience professionally too... I don't doubt his ability to do it, just his procrastinatory habits (much like my own).

These screens, namley the ibook screen use digital signals to produce the image. That's why it's pixel-perfect, pixel to pixel, with the original image. These signals are specific to that exact screen, not the normal dvi you come to know with digital video. It's cheaper and smaller to make the motherboard talk directly to the screen than it is to use encoding and decoding hardware, since the companies (apple in this case, or whoever made their lcds at this time) don't expect you to take those things apart and use the screens, they don't see a need for analog or standard digital signals inputs on the screen, as that would require the decoder.

You could build a decoder board, but this is far out of most peoples' capabilities. Decoder boards are complicated, seriously, amazingly complicated, and even differ between revision. Its a lot cheaper to buy a cheap lcd, i can help you with that.

Its not that i doubt your friends abilities, its just, well. I have seen literally hundreds of people do this and fail. Even people who have the most amazing electronics skills otherwise.
    -pb
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,

I'm surprised this has not been posted yet...

YouTube - 20th Anniversary Mac with touch-panel
    G4 400mhz Powermac 768mb Ram 250gb HDD | G4 iBook 800Mhz 1gb Ram 60gb HDD | Macbook C2D 2.0ghz 4gb Ram 320gb HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Dunks0r View Post
    I'm surprised this has not been posted yet...

YouTube - 20th Anniversary Mac with touch-panel
    I alluded to it earlier, but there is controversy as to whether the video is real or not.
    Something about Jimby.

I've just performed a heavy edit over at Wiki on the TAM...

Decided seems its probably one of the first places people will go for TAM info, it should at least be accurate.

if anyone wants a cheap Tam their is one on ebay atm !
    I've just bought an xserve so i can't afford to place a bid on it, the guy said it would be around $250 USD to send to Australia via USPS or $400ish via FedEx.

20th Anniversary Macintosh - Japan Domestic Model - eBay (item 300241391739 end time Jul-22-08 10:21:49 PDT)

If someone does by it from here, I want some pics!!
    My Macs: MacBook Pro 17", Powerbook Ti 867Mhz, Powermac 5500 Black, iBook G3 900Mhz, Powermac MDD, Powermac 8600 250Mhz, Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz Mac Mini, iMac G4 17" 1Ghz, eMac 1Ghz, eMac 800Mhz,
    AppleCollector Sales Service/Sales/Support/Trade In's

As I understand it, this is the device that Apple pipped at the post for the world's first LCD desktop... The Gateway...

I know which one I'd rather... though of course the original RRP would have made a few decisions...

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong... I in fact thought that Apple WASN'T the first... Sony Z1 or something?)

Ooer ! That's a shocker. It looks like a TV mounted on top of a plastic breadbin. Gee, I wonder why Gateway are in trouble if they put out such good looking computers as those.

Stewie
    Lotsa Macs - PM's , G3's , G4's & Powerbooks - Love 'em
    ----------------

Default TAM and Keyboard up close and personal

TAM unit itself

Keyboard in "normal" mode

Taking care of the ADB cables underneath the keyboard - wrist rest in place

Keyboard upside down showing where wrist insert lives

Close up of cable tidy and TAM designation

Trackpad out with no backing plate

Trackpad out with backing plate inserted

Trackpad out with insert placed in

Labels underneath keyboard

Labels underneath the trackpad

Flip up legs on the end of keyboard to raise it up
    Something about Jimby.

Default Outer aspects of the TAM

Side view - Ethernet and USB

Ports up close

Fat-back installed

Fat-back of TAM removed

Slim-back top view

Fatback side view

She's nude - Fat-back removed

Back off with ethernet and USB cards installed

Rear view - Lower ports

Cover that sits on top of cable tidy

Cable tidy - Cover removed

Port connection area for ADB, S-video, Mic

Cable tidy with keyboard plugged in

Cable tidy - Nothing plugged in

Media remote that controls Radio, volume and TV
    Something about Jimby.

Default Accessories + Odds and ends

300 page user manual

Original Apple CSII ethernet card 10baseT

256kb L2 cache module (above) Sonnet G3 300Mhz 1MB L2 cache upgrade

Rear of Sonnet G3 upgrade card

Video and mic in cables

Geoport modem

Original warranty card - Not filled in

2 x 32MB RAM modules (front and rear)
    Something about Jimby.

What about a post your TAM gig?

Post a pic of your TAM?

I don't have a TAM, but I have learnt quite alot about these computers!

Default Loading up

Using the 250MHz original processor

Sonnet extensions kick in and now she is a G3 400MHz

On the web and checking out wikipedia
    Something about Jimby.

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Cover that sits on top of cable tidy
    Tried taking that apart?

In the series of pics that are on the Axon website (with dark speaker covers), you can see one where they have actually taken that cover piece apart, and just put the bottom bit onto the TAM.

When I saw it the other day I was kinda shocked - had forgotten it could do it. Not that I've done it to my cover... Afraid of breaking it!!!

Default High resolution photomerge of the TAM with rear off

I have a photomerge of the TAM with the rear panel off that I shot in RAW. It is 1.2GB large but when converted to jpg it ends up being 14MB. Where can I host this so that people could download it if they want it. I normally use Imageshack, but the limit there is 1.53MB. Is someone willing to host the image, or should I just email it to people if they want it?

Here is a low res image (824 x 1024) of what I am talking about. On the high res image you can see all the traces on the board etc. as it is 8638 x 10729

Something about Jimby.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast