Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: Warwalking

Default Warwalking

Just curious, but has anyone heard of any apps for the iphone for this? I mean, with assisted gps, and wifi. It seems the perfect took for warwaling.

Interesting - an app to automagically mark on Google Maps where there is open wi-fi?

Sounds awesome

If I had an iPhone, you might end up seeing a port of KisMac to the device...

There is an existing stumbler for the jailbroken devices, but I don't think it supports GPS, or mapping, yet.

I just wonder if the iphone supports passive mode on its wifi drivers?
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,

They appear to, from what I've seen, be similar to the drivers that the desktop Mac OS X uses, so this is a definite possibility. Failing that, there is active mode, or us writing new drivers. I just don't have the device to test.

i'd like this.
    question:
    as optus hotspots are linked with azure. are we simple allowed to use this network or do we enter a username, pasword or something?
    reason i ask is it wouldn't connect yesterday as i don't htink my number had completed porting over.

anyone know?
    [B]mail | twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by Piratbyran View Post
    Just curious, but has anyone heard of any apps for the iphone for this? I mean, with assisted gps, and wifi. It seems the perfect took for warwaling.
    I have an application, APmapper, that is just about ready to be released, but there are some "restrictions":

• I only currently have a 1.1.4 'Touch, but it works beautifully on that!
    • without access to an iPhone and v2.0 it doesn't yet have access to GPS
    • it doesn't interface with Google Maps, though an extension could download them, offline.

I'm holding out for the v2.0 jailbreak, and then possibly for someone to lend me an iPhone for a long enough for APmapper to support real GPS, and then I'll be releasing the application, and its source code, for all
    It's better to burn out than it is to rust.

chrism238: how long do you need a 3G iPhone for? I can possibly arrange one to loan out for you

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    chrism238: how long do you need a 3G iPhone for? I can possibly arrange one to loan out for you
    Impressive, fast offer!
    I think I'll have access to one here in Perth this week, but then I need a week's holiday before Uni starts again. But I'll definitely keep your offer in mind, thanks

chrome's Avatar chrome is offline MacTalk Engineering Department of Horrors. Mutilator of HTML Templates Extraordinaire. Man with the Very Long User Title. No you can't have one. Ha ha.

The cheap and cheerful way to do this is to go into the wifi networks menu and it will update every few seconds with networks in range. Touch one that is unlocked and try your luck!
    In ur forums, upgradin'.

injection????

Quote Originally Posted by dathnoth View Post
    i'd like this.
    question:
    as optus hotspots are linked with azure. are we simple allowed to use this network or do we enter a username, pasword or something?
    reason i ask is it wouldn't connect yesterday as i don't htink my number had completed porting over.

anyone know?
    there's a thread on this. just stumble the hotspot, join, then surf to a random web site, it will re-direct to their portal, register a new account from the portal (there's iphone instructions apparently), go through the registration process, and then your in like flynn

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    The cheap and cheerful way to do this is to go into the wifi networks menu and it will update every few seconds with networks in range. Touch one that is unlocked and try your luck!
    Then rinse and repeat every 5m or whatever walking pace you're at.

Quote Originally Posted by titan44 View Post
    injection????
    Very unsupported by the iPhone's Marvell WiFi drivers. Some have written new drivers, but only on FW1.1.1 can you replace the iPhone kexts.
    It's a lost cause, seemingly ignored (deliberately) on v2.0 too.