Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default VOIP apps for iPhone?

Anyone seen any VOIP apps up on the App Store yet?
    I'm really after a VOIP app that can work in the "background" (using the notification server perhaps), so that I can receive VOIP calls as well as make them when I'm on wi-fi.

I am also looking for a VOIP app, (I am on naked DSL and I got some free Voip credit to use every month)
    MBP 2.4g 4g 128g
    nano gggggg 8g
    http://technewsonnet.com/

There are none that I'm aware of out there at the moment that operate as you want.

PennyTel are more on top of the latest advances in VoIP technologies than any other provider I've come across. If anyone were to eventually do that, I would expect it to be them.

For a generic VoIP app that operates independently of any specific provider, I would recommend SIPphone on iPhone (better codec support, supports multiple providers at once) or Media5-fone (cooler interface, only one configurable provider). Neither of these use push, however. This is a feature I don't see coming, due to the short delay introduced by push that will make you miss most calls anyway.

The better one at present is SIPphone on iPhone, but Media5-fone shows promise in future releases.

Personally, I use an Asterisk server at home. It is extremely configurable. I have it set up so that if I miss a phone call and a voicemail is left, the voicemail is sent to my MobileMe account (and then pushed to my iPhone) with the callers details and the actual message. That way, I can listen to the voicemail, and call them back if necessary.

It's more expensive, but very awesome having a powerful (and relatively cheap) IP PBX at home.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, don't expect the call quality to be the same as a landline or mobile call using either of these apps. It's decent and clear, but not as much as traditional methods. I believe this is mostly due to limitations of the iPhone or the early development stage of SIP apps on the iPhone. That said, I have used both of these apps and they do a great job for the price vs a hardware dedicated WiFi SIP phone.
    Last edited by Danoss; 4th July 2009 at 12:39 PM.

I'm waiting for jailbreak to use VOIPhone, which allows us to call not just over WIFI but also 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesteve2 View Post
    I'm waiting for jailbreak to use VOIPhone, which allows us to call not just over WIFI but also 3G.
    SIPphone on iPhone has a version on Cydia that will do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Danoss View Post
    SIPphone on iPhone has a version on Cydia that will do just that.

Sorry I mean SIPhone. It is the same one as you're refering to I think. I need jailbreaking.

Sorry I mean SIPhone. It is the same one as you're refering to I think. I need jailbreaking.
    it is siphone on iphone different one and it doesn't need jailbreaking
    MBP 2.4g 4g 128g
    nano gggggg 8g
    http://technewsonnet.com/

Ah yes. Sorry, I misread your post.

Once you get your iPhone jailbroken, you're all set.

Just be careful. You'll have to set your codec to gsm, or you will most likely have a jittery connection and phone conversation. Also, gsm uses much less bandwidth than the default g711 (a-law or u-law).

gsm = 13kbps in each direction
    g711 = 64kbps in each direction

If you use it a lot, you can chew through your data quite quickly. At Australian 3G data prices, it usually works out better to get a decent mobile cap plan and use VoIP when on WiFi.

Quote Originally Posted by Danoss View Post
    Ah yes. Sorry, I misread your post.

Once you get your iPhone jailbroken, you're all set.

Just be careful. You'll have to set your codec to gsm, or you will most likely have a jittery connection and phone conversation. Also, gsm uses much less bandwidth than the default g711 (a-law or u-law).

gsm = 13kbps in each direction
    g711 = 64kbps in each direction

If you use it a lot, you can chew through your data quite quickly. At Australian 3G data prices, it usually works out better to get a decent mobile cap plan and use VoIP when on WiFi.
    I used to call without making any changes and voice quality was excellent. The other party did'nt know I was using VOIP, and I felt that I was using a normal mobile phone. But I'll try the GSM setting as you recommend in the future and see how it goes. Thansk for the tips.

I used to call without making any changes and voice quality was excellent. The other party did'nt know I was using VOIP, and I felt that I was using a normal mobile phone. But I'll try the GSM setting as you recommend in the future and see how it goes. Thansk for the tips.
    That's good! It's all dependent on your connection quality and speed to the mobile tower.

Using gsm, you and the caller won't notice any call quality difference, it will just decrease your amount of data usage.

One thing I forgot to mention is it also depends if your VoIP provider supports the gsm codec. It's common (it's what 2G mobile calls use), so they should. If not, then just revert back to the setting you were using earlier as all VoIP carriers support g711 (they don't like it, but they kinda have to).

Been using SIPphone for iPhone (what a name) for quite a while now. It permits multiple VoIP accounts and the latest version is very functional as I move b/n my 3 Pennytel and other SIP protocol based accounts. Quality is very good as long as there's good wifi signal.

v2.1 just came out. Looks good.
    Last edited by ciprol; 5th July 2009 at 10:57 AM.

The only shortcoming of SIPhone is that when you dial using the favourites or contact tabs, the software uses only mobile phone to call out. If you want to use voip, you must punch in the number via the number pad.

SIPphone for iPhone works well for me - call quality is excellent, almost landline quality.

The only shortcoming of SIPhone is that when you dial using the favourites or contact tabs, the software uses only mobile phone to call out. If you want to use voip, you must punch in the number via the number pad.
    Is SIPhone different to SIPphone for iPhone? If not, then I don't see your problem, and have no trouble calling any phone number listed for a contact.

Quote Originally Posted by KlaasVisser View Post
    SIPphone for iPhone works well for me - call quality is excellent, almost landline quality.

Is SIPhone different to SIPphone for iPhone? If not, then I don't see your problem, and have no trouble calling any phone number listed for a contact.
    Is yours a Cydia application or from Apple Store? If it is the one in Cydia, then when you call from within contact or favourite, it will use GSM rather than SIP to call. Confirmed this with the developement team, and he knows there is a problem there.

Is yours a Cydia application or from Apple Store?
    From the App Store - don't know what Cydia is?

Quote Originally Posted by KlaasVisser View Post
    From the App Store - don't know what Cydia is?

I think you mean "SipPhone on iPhone" from Apple Store, which works only on WIFI. This is SipPhone with 2 "p"s

Mine is SIPhone (just 1 "p"), from Cydia which works on both wifi and 3G.

Now we are clear, there's SIPhone (Sydia) and there's SipPhone for iPhone (AppStore). Two different products.

Quote Originally Posted by ciprol View Post
    Now we are clear, there's SIPhone (Sydia) and there's SipPhone for iPhone (AppStore). Two different products.
    Which is what I asked, to start with