Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default GPS on the iPhone - navigation?

Hi all.

Sorry I haven't popped up on the forums for a while but was wondering if someone is able to "sort of" confirm what exactly Apple have lined up "out of the box" for the iPhone in relation o GPS.

In other words, has Apple a program in the iPhone that you can use that offers navigation using the in-built GPS, or is it simply going to be a case of the GPS finds your location and the wi-fi or 3G then downloads your position on a map via Google Maps?

I am sure this question has been raised before - I certainly heard it on a podcast but no one knew the answer. omTom were going to make an app for the iPhone but some licencing issue or java issue stopped that quickly.

I suppose what I am trying to get at is whether "up-front" Apple will be offering a navigation program (or someone else) that purely uses the GPS for location and map data. Obviously maps would need to be downloaded on to the iPhone.

Or is it the case we are simply waiting for a 3rd party to prdouce a program to do this?

If you go to the 3G iPhone reviews thread and read David Pogue's review, it talks a bit about the GPS. Basically it gets your position through the GPS chip and gives it to Google Maps to deal with.

Apple have banned using the iPhone for Turn-by-turn Navigation via GPSU in their SDK Terms, however TomTom had still developed an iphone version of their maps software.

We can still get accurate directions, however it won't read them out to us.

I'm just waiting for the app store to launch and have a look there before I get all happy/annoyed about the situation.
    James Brennan

I believe i read a while ago with the iphone 1g, a company made a gps add on, and navigation software, i don't know were that ever got to.
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,

According to David Pogue, he says "According to Apple, the iPhones G.P.S. antenna is much too small to emulate the turn-by-turn navigation of a G.P.S. unit for a vehicle, for example."

This is a huge disappointment to me as this was the main reason I am switching from gen 1 to 3g iphone. The GPS and promises from tomtom of a hopeful app to be released was the main selling point for me. I dont know how keen I am now on getting this phone.

Mind you, if you are in a strange city and have no idea where you are, this is an awesome feature.

Id love to know more about what apps will come out that takes advantage of the GPS feature.
    Success is a perception just like failure, so don't live your life according to how the world judge's you, live your life according to how you honestly judge yourself !.

Look on the Apple website demonstration of Google Maps and the GPs. It does have turn by turn directions, not audible and I'm not sure if they update automatically but I think they would now.

Apple - iPhone - Features - Maps with GPS
    | iMac Alu.| 11-inch MacBook Air | iPhone 4S 64GB

Quote Originally Posted by walexx View Post
    According to David Pogue, he says "According to Apple, the iPhones G.P.S. antenna is much too small to emulate the turn-by-turn navigation of a G.P.S. unit for a vehicle, for example."
    How big an antenna do they want?
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,

Sounds like BS to me. If the antenna is good enough to show real time tracking of a blue dot moving down a street (ie. accuracy +/- the width of a street), then it is accurate enough for audible directions.

This is a huge disappointment to me as this was the main reason I am switching from gen 1 to 3g iphone. The GPS and promises from tomtom of a hopeful app to be released was the main selling point for me. I dont know how keen I am now on getting this phone.
    I believe this mostly relates to Pogue's choice of testing area - Manhattan - where GPS visibility is extremely limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Sounds like BS to me. If the antenna is good enough to show real time tracking of a blue dot moving down a street (ie. accuracy +/- the width of a street), then it is accurate enough for audible directions.
    Yeah I agree, it is pretty accurate to show the side to side movement. I think maybe Apple is just being overly cautious, but im sure others out there will bring out something. I mean look at the nokia 6110, thats not exactly setting the gps world on fire, but a lot of people have found it handy enough to get to where they are going, and that doesnt even rate in the league of the iphone.

The iPhone also had assisted GPS with the mobile phone tower triangulation thing so that might also help. I actually went on skyhooks website and registered the mac address of our wireless router where I live, now when i click on the 'locate me' button its pin point accurate

The more people who register their wifi router mac address the more accurate the skyhooks thing will be too, especially to those on the gen 1 iPhones.
    Success is a perception just like failure, so don't live your life according to how the world judge's you, live your life according to how you honestly judge yourself !.

The iPhone also had assisted GPS with the mobile phone tower triangulation thing so that might also help. I actually went on skyhooks website and registered the mac address of our wireless router where I live, now when i click on the 'locate me' button its pin point accurate
    Where do you do this? I can't find it on their website. Not to mention every hit on Google for Skyhooks were for the band

Quote Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
    Where do you do this? I can't find it on their website. Not to mention every hit on Google for Skyhooks were for the band
    Actually I just went to skyhooks website to get the link to post it and I cant find it either. This is the best i could find in limited time. Skyhook's Wi-Fi Location Technology for iPhone/iPod touch - Mac Forums
    I put my mac address in a few months ago when their website had all the info on it. I got the link from another site just after the 1.1.3 came out with the locate me feature.

Im sure if u look around you can find it. Im off to work soon otherwise Id keep looking myself.

Ok, I just had a friend tell me that the GPS on the iPhone 3G doesn't give directions by default. It seems he got his 'info' from here... Latest iPhone SDK agreement limits GPS software capabilities

I thought the GPS on iPhone 3G did give directions?
    Not only do I twitter, but I also flickr and last.

Quote Originally Posted by specialkay View Post
    Ok, I just had a friend tell me that the GPS on the iPhone 3G doesn't give directions by default. It seems he got his 'info' from here... Latest iPhone SDK agreement limits GPS software capabilities

I thought the GPS on iPhone 3G did give directions?
    It does. But it doesn't give you read out turn by turn directions necessary for car navigation.

does using the GPS use any of your data allowance?... whatever that will be, dependent on carrier!

so if travelling overseas will roaming kick in at all when using GPS?

Yes. For downloading maps.

so if map is downloaded it is then in the phone and doesnt need to be refreshed and stored for future use???
    does this then mean that I could "pre download" the maps I will need for my trip?

AFAIK caching of maps is very limited. Don't count on it.

Sounds like bullshit to me.

If my tiny bluetooth GPS with no external antenna can successful navigate me through urban areas, the iphone should be able to do it too.

I am sure we will see a version of TomTom for the iPhone soon.

Quote Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
    AFAIK caching of maps is very limited. Don't count on it.
    thanks erik

so its wait and see. was really looking forward to taking it north amercia and europe but dont want to get hammered (anyones guess what that could be??) by roaming

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast