Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Skype and iPhone

Hi All

I figure I could buy and iPhone outright $700 8Gb and run skype (if available/possible?) in the phone and get very cheap phone calls anywhere ? Web Browsing ??

Any views/comments ?

Spud

skype will be on the iPhone - however apples rules stated voip can only be done via wi-fi, not 3g/mobile data

Quote Originally Posted by Keving View Post
    skype will be on the iPhone - however apples rules stated voip can only be done via wi-fi, not 3g/mobile data
    Yep - I'd be shocked if Skype doesn't make an iPhone client. It will only work on wi-fi though (suits me!). Same goes for any other VOIP client.

I really hope there's a good VOIP client that can use the polling server or something like that, so I can use it as my primary phone at home, as well as my mobile.

Source regarding WiFI only? I heard it did not work on EDGE, not necessarily 3G (but likely I missed it)
    | iMac Alu.| 11-inch MacBook Air | iPhone 4S 64GB

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Yep - I'd be shocked if Skype doesn't make an iPhone client. It will only work on wi-fi though (suits me!). Same goes for any other VOIP client.

I really hope there's a good VOIP client that can use the polling server or something like that, so I can use it as my primary phone at home, as well as my mobile.
    Im pretty sure Skype will make a client for the iPhone there were talks about it before iPhone 2.0..

On the 3G case, It would take a lot of resources and cost you a bunch in data fee's wouldnt it?

With wi-fi it would be awesome, but having to be around a wifi hotspot would be a pain, not to mention who ever your calling has to be around wifi and they have to have Skype installed

It would be good to call family members and friends though...

Quote Originally Posted by dolbinau View Post
    Source regarding WiFI only? I heard it did not work on EDGE, not necessarily 3G (but likely I missed it)
    3G is assumed - if they didn't allow it over EDGE, they wont' allow it over 3G (where it would actually work)

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    3G is assumed - if they didn't allow it over EDGE, they wont' allow it over 3G (where it would actually work)
    Didn't allow it over EDGE?? What VOIP apps are there?

Cheers
    Steffen.
    It's Unix, Jim, but not as we know it...

Quote Originally Posted by dotnet View Post
    Fring allows you to use Skype on your iPhone...
     My Mac Stuff: 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 8GB RAM and iPhone 5 32GB
     Successful Trading: anaami, areal, Huy, mattcooper, TheKeddi, KunfuCamel, gumby08

Cheers
    Steffen.
    There was one or two if i remember check modmyifone.com

Cheers
    Steffen.
    When I mean 'didn't' I mean 'wasn't going to' :P. I thought this might be for network reasons.
    | iMac Alu.| 11-inch MacBook Air | iPhone 4S 64GB

The thing is there are no VOIP apps for iPhone v1, in fact there are no apps other than the ones Apple put on. What works and doesn't work with software people put onto their hacked iPhones is no indication of what's going to work with official 3rd party apps.

Apparently there are some rules to be observed when accessing a carrier network. The GSM radio is probably better protected from hacking than other parts of the phone. I'm sure apps wanting to access it will get vetted first. I see no reason why Skype shouldn't be able to qualify if they wanted to.

Cheers
    Steffen.

Forget Skype....it is a proprietary protocol restricting you to calling other users on skype or paying their call out rates.

What will REALLY be good is a SIP VOIP client on the iphone that will allow you to use your favourite VOIP company of your choice (eg MNF).

Imagine being at any Wi-Fi hotspot and be able to make flat rate local calls to Australia and overseas through your current account with your VOIP provider as well as receive calls to your landline number...It will be literally like taking your home VOIP with you on the road!

Personally I don't see the attraction of skype when there are so many better VOIP solutions out there...only reason for their popularity is the immense marketing they've done over the years..

For me the attraction is that it works well, is completely free within the network, and has very cheap rates for overseas calls. That's why they're my favourite VOIP company of choice. Despite the fact that they don't do any marketing I'm aware of.

Cheers
    Steffen.

Skype works really well - no firewall stuff to speak of. Launch app - talk. It also has a much better interface and design than all the other SIP clients.

That said, Skype is not cheap for landline calls for Australians. If you call a 13 number, that's timed per second

Quote Originally Posted by drzeus View Post
    Forget Skype....it is a proprietary protocol restricting you to calling other users on skype or paying their call out rates.
    No it's not. I can call anyone anywhere with a phone number with Skype, plus as a previous poster said, Fring is in beta so you will be able to make VoiP calls on that through your iPhone. Presumably.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyTiger View Post
    No it's not. I can call anyone anywhere with a phone number with Skype, plus as a previous poster said, Fring is in beta so you will be able to make VoiP calls on that through your iPhone. Presumably.
    Beat me to it.

I've been used Fring on my Nokia E61 for a year. It's an integrated and stable application with lots of cool features. It basically makes your mobile as a Skype phone. Plus it's free.

Can't wait to get a new iphone and try Fring on either wifi or 3G connection.
    iPod Nano 2G, iPod Touch 8G, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 100GB, 2G ram, ATI X1600 256MB. MB 2.16Ghz C2D, 60GB, 1G ram.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyTiger View Post
    Yes it IS proprietary and you must pay them their call out rates per second to call anyone who's not on skype. That means calling a landline in Australia is a timed call. On the other hand , many VOIP providers provide flat rate 10c untimed calls to anywhere in Australia and many overseas destinations.

In addition, you're able to switch companies via your SIP client and obtain better rates whenever you wish. With skype you're stuck paying their rates.

Don't get me wrong Skype works great, but why restrict yourself to a proprietary protocol? Competition in VOIP is good, so use the service that provides the best rates and quality and there are certainly better rates out there than Skype.

Anyone heard anything about Skype on the iPhone? I would really like to have Skype on there

I think you will be able to use it on the 3G network (3 has done this for ages now) but as far as Optus is concerned it gets charged *on top* of your account. It is excluded from your data allowance which of course makes the only viable alternative to use wifi
     PowerPC 6100/60AV, PowerPC G3, 12" G4 iBook, 17" G5 iMac, 24" white iMac, 30Gb white iPod, white PSP slim'n'lite, white 16Gb iPhone 

"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb"
    - Batman

Quote Originally Posted by laprius View Post
    I think you will be able to use it on the 3G network (3 has done this for ages now) but as far as Optus is concerned it gets charged *on top* of your account. It is excluded from your data allowance which of course makes the only viable alternative to use wifi
    Skype is just IP data, how would they know to charge it extra to your included data cap? Skype on 3 is odd - its' built into their network using some voice channel part of UMTS, not as IP data, therefore reducing lag significantly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast