Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Just wondering if anyone has put a 7200RPM 2.5" hard drive into their laptop? Specifically the Hitachi Travelstar E7K60.
    Did you notice any difference in heat output?
    Or any difference in battery life?
    And final question, if I was to get the drive installed by a certified Apple Tech, would it void my warranty?

Getting your Drive installed won't void warranty, but it will cost you a fortune. The job would take 1-2 hours (bare in mind it might take 15 minutes, but they also charge for the time to install a fresh copy of the OS) and 1 hour of labour might set you back up to $100. I think it's just better to get an external and then do it yourself when warranty has expired.
    Successful Trades Byde, benny gsr, BiRDBRAiN, neilrobinson, scruffie, kewpid, MacUser, Daz, BrettO, Cam

Originally posted by Phillip@Apr 10 2005, 09:55 PM
    Getting your Drive installed won't void warranty, but it will cost you a fortune. The job would take 1-2 hours (bare in mind it might take 15 minutes, but they also charge for the time to install a fresh copy of the OS) and 1 hour of labour might set you back up to $100. I think it's just better to get an external and then do it yourself when warranty has expired.
    Labor doesn't concern me, I've some mates who are Apple Techs
    I'm more concerned about heat and battery useage...

Not so much for Mac, but we've had a few Dell's recently with 7200's...

They do run a bit hotter and the system fans seems to kick in fatster and for longer when you are doing alot of cpu and i/o work.

A friend put a 7200rpm into his new ibook. He said its a little hotter and a little louder, but works nonetheless. He didn't say about the battery life, but I suspect if the drive pulls a little more current then this would be a little noticable.