Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reubania View Post
    LOL. I meant that it should roughly the same in USD. So it shouldn't be less, but it shouldn't be much more. The window of costs shouldn't stray from USD$199, but that's all in "theory". The conversion rate and then the obligatory 30% market on all Apple products sold here has to be taken into account. It's ludicrous, considering our Aussie dollar almost at parity with the US greenback.
    The US$199 price is the AT&T subsidised price. The actual price Apple sell the iPhone for is reported to be a lot higher. The upfront price of the iPhone is purely at the discretion of the telco as it is they who are subsidising it.

Steve's $199 worldwide comment was just Steve shooting off at the mouth.

Anyone got a knife and fork handy so I can eat my words? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_insidev2 View Post
    in relation to what?

Quote Originally Posted by mactalkuser8282 View Post
    Still no mention of Visual Voicemail. I hope they do it!!
    The ABSOLUTELY ONLY two reasons I would go with the knitting dudes is if they actually were able to activate visual voicemail and erase the signal black hole I have over my home!!!

I have been with Optus for yonks andhave never been able to make or receive calls from home. It does make it a bit more quiet!

I have mentioned before about my adventures with Telstra. I will not repeat them here.

Visual voicemail is one of the things that makes the iPhone the iPhone!!

Quote Originally Posted by adamerr View Post
    haha.
    who said i txt with predictive text.
    i know i to spell, so i type out every single letter

but yeah, its going to be hard to get used to the QWERTY touchscreen, but i'll manage
    Sorry what I meant was, the iPhone is predictive-text driven too (I sold mine today so I'm back to physical buttons/crap T9 input and the push-multiple times to cycle through letters method).

It is very easy to use the touchscreen, you will master it in about 1 week (thumb typing).

But adding apps isn't too bad, its not like they'll become integrated into OS X, they all run on top. And will most likely be all removable.
    White MacBook 2.2GHz 4GB RAM Leopard, White 3G iPhone 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by Huy View Post
    Sorry what I meant was, the iPhone is predictive-text driven too (I sold mine today so I'm back to physical buttons/crap T9 input and the push-multiple times to cycle through letters method).

It is very easy to use the touchscreen, you will master it in about 1 week (thumb typing).
    awesome.
    one week. ill cut that to 3 days lol.

but i have fat fingers lol. hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
    I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but on the Telstra website under the register your interest page they have the following options:

Which Next G mobiles are you interested in?*
    Apple iPhone3G 8GB
    Apple iPhone3G 16GB Black
    Apple iPhone3G 16GB White

Since when has the 16Gb been availiable in Black?

Always ... well, at least since with was announced at WWDC...

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Free Telstra wi-fi is bloody awesome! The Melbourne CBD is covered in it - My iPhone picks up a Telstra CBD hot spot almost everywhere I hang out in the CBD.

NextG coverage & capacity = awesome

Has anyone got any details on plan call pricing and data allowances? I've tried to call Telstra but I've been on hold for ages.

A few things worry me though:
    - crappy data plans
    - high call rates
    - 24 month contract

I really don't want to be on a 24 month contract? What if Apple brings out a new phone in 12 months? Then I'm stuffed because I want the latest iPhone *always*.
    Still Here!, thought you would have set up your tent outside the T store in Melbourne by now.
    "I want to lie, Shipwrecked and comotose, drinking fresh Mango Juice'.

www.barcoasters.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Linux_insidev2 View Post
    Humble pie?
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

Quote Originally Posted by adamerr View Post
    i have fat fingers lol. hahahaha
    Fat fingers are basically covered as well. It uses algorithms to expand the target area for common letter frequencies, expected next letter, etc. There's a nice video on it if you haven't seen.

Ok, like to see some serious analysis on this once other plans appear. Also any small print on the free Wifi - that alone could be a deal maker for me.
    iPhone 4 | iPad | MBA | iMac 27"
    EyeTV/IceTV | SecuritySpy User

Quote Originally Posted by Huy View Post
    Fat fingers are basically covered as well. It uses algorithms to expand the target area for common letter frequencies, expected next letter, etc. There's a nice video on it if you haven't seen.
    excellant.
    how exciting.
    anyone else excited now?

Quote Originally Posted by MizuInOz View Post
    The ABSOLUTELY ONLY two reasons I would go with the knitting dudes is if they actually were able to activate visual voicemail and erase the signal black hole I have over my home!!!

I have been with Optus for yonks andhave never been able to make or receive calls from home. It does make it a bit more quiet!

I have mentioned before about my adventures with Telstra. I will not repeat them here.

Visual voicemail is one of the things that makes the iPhone the iPhone!!

I also agree! Visual Voicemail makes it one heck of a useful and sexy product!!!!!!

And yes, I too have a black hole in my apartment with Optus. Always bad reception. And it sucks since my mobile is my main phone. I don't have a home phone. So I am hoping the switch to Telstra (preeminent, but nonetheless, impending) will be a change...and hopefully more coverage.
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

Quote Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
    But adding apps isn't too bad, its not like they'll become integrated into OS X, they all run on top. And will most likely be all removable.
    Apple announced at the WWDC keynote that Apple are going to allow companies to internally distribute apps for the iPhone. But they still are different to any other app on the app store. My guess would be that Telstra are going to do use this system.

I doubt that Apple have Telstra special access to the iPhone. After all Apple are not budging at all when it comes to allowing Adobe to install Flash. Adobe is a far more important company to Apple then Telstra is.

Quote Originally Posted by feeze View Post
    Apple announced at the WWDC keynote that Apple are going to allow companies to internally distribute apps for the iPhone. But they still are different to any other app on the app store. My guess would be that Telstra are going to do use this system.
    I hope not. The enterprise level of control of distributing apps is different the App store. If Telstra distribute apps that way, it means they could work around ToA with the SDK, e.g making VoIP, making Bigpond music default choice for buying music (YIKES) etc. Which also means Telstra can do a remote wipe if they feel like it, as this is part of the enterprise feature. (joking on this point, but could be true).

wolfie is offline It's times like this, you need a quarter pounder.

why is everyone terribly excited, nothing has been announced to what those plans entail except free wifi, which in all fairness, isnt that big of a deal if you dont spend time in the cbd.

everyone is getting way excited at the moment, wait and see the real value, costs of what telstra has to offer.

I will be very interested to see what sort of apps Telstra have planned. There could actually be something good!

What do we think will be done? WhereIs maps instead of Google (shudder), Sensis searching instead of Google? (horrible)? Some sort of White/Yellow pages app? (Actually useful maybe)

nicwithsticks Guest

I can't believe that in 11 days I will sign up for another Telstra service - voluntarily.

I am really excited about Telstra's plans. It will be interesting to see how the other carriers shape up.

Now we'll see if Telstra can pull it's finger out and invest in more support for Apple products. Their support for Macs is close to non-existent.
    http://macers.net/ - Happy Mac

Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast