Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

View Poll Results: When should I buy MBA?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy now!

20 45.45%
  • Wait a couple more weeks for Rev B

24 54.55%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MBA Rev B

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

Quote Originally Posted by DJY View Post
    So did you order one after the updates? They now have a 128GB SSD or 120 GB HDD!
    It's bloody tempting, that's for sure. The benefits of a SSD are not as great as I had initially thought.

Especially now that the new MacBooks no longer have FW.

I was hoping that it would be cheaper than what it currently is ($3999) but that's life.

Also, it's sooooo tempting to buy the new 24" ACD with it too.

I'm now considering whether to compromise and get the ACD + MacBook instead for about the same money.
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

just wondering, what makes the ACD better than the ultra sharp dell that is half the price(or maybe less with a coupon), other than looks??

Why not buy a second hand one, similar to the one that went for $1500 in the for sale forum!

Save $1300!

Quote Originally Posted by tdm911 View Post
    Why not buy a second hand one, similar to the one that went for $1500 in the for sale forum!

Save $1300!

Now THAT's a bargain!!! I always get it second hand or refurb...save a couple of hundred dollars
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

Quote Originally Posted by Reubania View Post
    Now THAT's a bargain!!! I always get it second hand or refurb...save a couple of hundred dollars
    Yes! Kind of wish I had bid myself!

Sale was here by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    It's bloody tempting, that's for sure. The benefits of a SSD are not as great as I had initially thought.
    It will be very interesting to see which SSD they put in it!
    The read / write times of the Rev A one weren't great - but depending on what they put in the new one - we might see a significant improvement with the benchmarks!

That's what I'm hoping for... with the other minor updates of front side bus, processor, DDR3, and better graphics processor - I DO WANT to buy one still!
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

Anyone know if the SYD Apple store has Rev B display models of MBA yet?
    I'm heading up to SYD Wed and keen to check one out (as you may have gathered from my numerous posts)!!!
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

Quote Originally Posted by DJY View Post
    It will be very interesting to see which SSD they put in it!
    The read / write times of the Rev A one weren't great - but depending on what they put in the new one - we might see a significant improvement with the benchmarks!

That's what I'm hoping for... with the other minor updates of front side bus, processor, DDR3, and better graphics processor - I DO WANT to buy one still!
    How long before someone runs benchmark tests on it? I had noted somewhere that the 128GB SSD uses MLC addressing, which is slower than SLC (which was the type in Rev A).

One other thing - supposedly one single bad sector can potentially render the whole SSD useless, with unrecoverable data. Got to have a TM backup!!
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2