Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Default $50 holding deposit at Strathfield

I haven't dealt with these guys before, but from what I've seen of their slick young salespeople I'm not filled with confidence.

Do they do the same plans as Optus? I suppose the $50 is refundable, but I'm already with Vodafone. sigh. Decisions, decisions...
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

Strathfield are a 'Premium' Optus dealer...whatever that is.

They seem to offer a lot of deals with free MP3 players and other bonuses, but yes the plans are the same as Optus.
    Successful trades: madmacs, jimdrum, eidlog_007, smdnetau, Aaron

many people signing up?
    iPhone 4 | iPad | MBA | iMac 27"
    EyeTV/IceTV | SecuritySpy User

Quote Originally Posted by aswitcher View Post
    many people signing up?
    I have both Vodafone and Optus retail stores locally and have signed up with both so I'm not going to bother with resellers.

Isn't a holding deposit a commitment from you to the shop to not buy something from another shop for a lower price and with better availability?

This is confusing
    I wish they'd just give us proper release times and plan info.

The shop closest to me that will *promise* me an iPhone at 12.01am, July 11th, is where I will get it from. So far no-one has been able to promise this.

The prices will be revealed by Optus 7 days before release.

Quote Originally Posted by macrich View Post
    Seven days seems like such a long time away, I want to know now!! (as you can probably tell, I'm not a patient person lol).

Sorry, make that eight days.

Quote Originally Posted by macrich View Post
    8 days to go if you are right. For some reason I thought they would give atleast two weeks... so bring on tomorrow!

It's not even down to being patient anymore,
    Its crazy that the carriers aren't providing us with this information sooner.
    We as their newest two year customers deserve to know now, not have to insanely rush to compare Optus to Voda in the last few days! Come on Vodafone, deal your cards!
     iMac 27" i7  iPhone 5 64GB.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverJ View Post
    We as their newest two year customers deserve to know now, not have to insanely rush to compare Optus to Voda in the last few days! Come on Vodafone, deal your cards!
    I feel bad for the people that are looking forward to getting the iPhone but aren't part of a community like this one. At least here we will have a collective of people working out the ins and outs of both deals and we will all be able to figure out which deal will be best for ourselves. Everyone else will have to do it alone and will be rushed into making a decision.

Has anyone wondered *why* they're not going to release the plans until that close to the day?

Because they're going to be extortionately high! Seven days notice is only seven days for the masses to scream and shout about the rip-off and likely lack of Visual Voicemail.

I have one being held for me at Vodafone for free because I signed up to a newsletter. No $100 holding deposit for me. Bet the Optus refund scheme is like crapping a watermelon too, so you'll give up even if you don't want it.

My advice? Make a friend in the US who doesn't want an iPhone and get them to bag you a pre-paid. Then you can sign up to any plan you want with any carrier you want (subject to ziPhone trickery, yes).

7 days is way too soon to the launch!

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    This is confusing
    I wish they'd just give us proper release times and plan info.

The shop closest to me that will *promise* me an iPhone at 12.01am, July 11th, is where I will get it from. So far no-one has been able to promise this.
    Can we do a letter to Optus and Vodafone on behalf of all the MacTalk members?
    How many thousand members do we have on here now?
    I'll gladly put my full name to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverJ View Post

How long is it going to take to compare 4-8 plans? Not a day. There will be iphone specific plans i'm almost 100% certain. It'll be comparing apples with apples (pardon the pun). not that difficult.

I'm still stumped at people saying the telcos are being slack by not releasing pricing yet. 7 days is more than enough to compare and decide.

(ends rant)
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by drewbles View Post
    How long is it going to take to compare 4-8 plans? Not a day. There will be iphone specific plans i'm almost 100% certain. It'll be comparing apples with apples (pardon the pun). not that difficult.

I'm still stumped at people saying the telcos are being slack by not releasing pricing yet. 7 days is more than enough to compare and decide.

(ends rant)
    Agreed.

How long is it really going to take to compare a few plans! I know that by looking at the plans within 5 minutes I know which way I will go.

I think it is more of a matter of us wanting to know the details NOW and to see how much we will be ripped off

Quote Originally Posted by zerogeewhiz View Post
    My advice? Make a friend in the US who doesn't want an iPhone and get them to bag you a pre-paid. Then you can sign up to any plan you want with any carrier you want (subject to ziPhone trickery, yes).
    The AT&T won't have prepaid. Only Europe has confirmed prepaid for the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by zerogeewhiz View Post
    Because they're going to be extortionately high! Seven days notice is only seven days for the masses to scream and shout about the rip-off and likely lack of Visual Voicemail.
    I hope not, but they will be salivating at being able to charge their extraordinarily high prices for data.

Some people tend to take alot longer to make a decision (my partner is one, one week is not enough there)
    I generally can make a pretty informed decision on the spot, but I guess with it being such a long contract, and no doubt complicated legal jargon attached to every plan, the powers that be have decided that 7 days is good enough.

I only have one request, unlimited data. Either that, or capping once you go over the limit, I don't want any nasty $4000 surprises at the end of the first month.
    2008 Macbook 13" 2.1GHz, 4GB RAM Late 2008 iMac 20" 2GHz 4GB RAM Early 2008 iMac 20" 2Ghz 2GB RAM TV - Summer 2001 iMac 1GB RAM - Late 2005 Power Macintosh 2.3 GHz 16GB RAM 2 32GB Black iPhones 160GB iPod Classic.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

I didn't put my $50 on the counter at Strathfield. Dunno why, really. Well, sort of. I'm already on a deal with Vodafone that runs out in about 7 weeks, so changing over to the iPhone plan will be easy and quick (and I already pre-registered with them) sooo... I'm sorta hoping VF are nice to me and give me a good data bundle with this beastie, and it's all sorted in the a.m. on the 11th.

We'll see....
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

I just want to make sure I do it right if I am going into a contract for two years.
    Mind you, realistically I would make my decision over two days, a lot of reading on here as well as my own comparisons. I am sure that people where will make charts the the majority of MacTalk will end up going with the same carrier. I think its going to work out better to just go on a plan for two years instead of buying it outright and then going on a cap and trying to get data also. With most good phones now they lock you in for 24 months, at least this time I'll feel less ripped off because its a phone that I will be happy with and will continue to have software developed for it over that time period at least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast