Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting a DSLR

Default Getting a DSLR

Hi,
    I've always had a bit of interest in photography and have always wanted to get a DSLR. A mate of mine is going over to Malaysia in the coming months and he said he could pick up a DLSR for me over there... Only question is - What camera and basic lenses should I be looking at getting to start off with?

There are many great photographers here, hopefully one of you can give me some direction

Cheers
    20" Alu iMac | White 3GS
    Follow me on twitter

I guess the first question is what's your budget?

Others can follow on from here

Oops - should have included that, cheers Goodbye.
    Budget would be roughly $900, hopefully I can get a decent camera and a lens for that price
    20" Alu iMac | White 3GS
    Follow me on twitter

The prices in Malaysia are nothing special to write home about.

and forget about trying to get anything other than consumer grade lenses etc as there are hardly any profession camera stores in KL. I go there every 6-8 weeks

Not Singapore or Hong Kong, that's a whole new ballgame. Great prices on bodies and lenses

If you want to get into SLR's and on a budget. I would be hard pressed to go past the K200D if you have no investment in glass previously.

Suggest you read the camera reviews on Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

also the warranty may not be valid here in Aus if you buy overseas - I know Nikon's warranty on bodies are not international.

Just off the top of my head around that price point...

Nikon D60
    Nikon D40X
    Canon 400D
    Canon 1000D
    Pentax K10D
    Pentax K200D
    Olympus E520
    15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.6Ghz 6Gb RAM, 320GB 7200 HDD, 512 VRAM & 23" Cinema Display
    3g iPod 30GB & 4g iPod photo 60GB & 512Mb shuffle & 2g shuffle & iPod touch 8GB
    & 3G iPhone 16Gb

flickr

Quote Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
    Just off the top of my head around that price point...
    Sony alpha 200
    :o

I can personally vouch for the Canon 400D, as my Sister, Dad and Uncle all have one (as did I for a while until it was stolen).

F&%king great camera, and the price is very nice for these nowadays.

Also the 1000D is basically a slightly downgraded 450D...

here's a review of the 1000D with comparos to the 400D, 450D, Sony Alpha DSLR-A200, Nikon D60, and links to others.
    15" 2.4GHz C2D (Penryn) MBP 4Gb RAM, Pismo, 80Gb iPod Classic
    -----------------
    Successful Trades: Simo, mulquemi(x2), carlow1, hmc

I picked up a Nikon D40 for $600 from Harvey Norman a few weeks back after looking at all the camera threads. It's a very good beginner DSLR and am very happy with it, and for the price, not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dward_Shaddow View Post
    I picked up a Nikon D40 for $600 from Harvey Norman a few weeks back after looking at all the camera threads. It's a very good beginner DSLR and am very happy with it, and for the price, not too bad.
    thats actually somewhat of a bargain, you get the nikkor lens as well (as opposed to most cheapy pentax kits which throw a crummy sigma lense at you).

full aussie warranty too.

ive got a bit of a soft spot for the pentax series myself, the K-mount means that you have a whole world of cheap glass at your fingertips.
    Apple MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo T7600, 2gb RAM, 160gb HDD, 15.4" Glossy WXGA+, ATi Mobility Radeon X1600 256mb
    Acer TravelMate 6292 Intel Core 2 Duo T7300, 2gb RAM, 250gb HDD, Intel GMA X3100, 12.1" WXGA
    Gaming Tower Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, 4gb DDR2-1066mhz Corsair Dominator RAM, Gigabyte EP45-DQ6, 3 x 1TB HDDs, HIS Radeon HD4870 512mb

I would strongly suggest to buy your camera here...

Main reasons are: *Price difference on low end DSLR is not much at all
    *no international warranty on DSLR's
    *ability to physically hold the product and try it out (granted you can do this anyway and still get your friend to buy it.

I buy alot of my gear when im doing work in Hong Kong, but there is a big difference in price with professional gear so it is worth it for me, so i'm obviously not totally against it .

I bought a Canon 450D for about $900 from HK about a month ago. It included the standard 18-55mm lens and a bunch of other little trinkets. Cheapest I could find it in Australia was about $1100 and up to ridiculous amounts like $1600 at Teds Camera's.

I can't recommend this camera enough, it's my first DSLR and I love it, brilliant colour, easy learning curve and all the power of an SLR.

TS,
    msia is poor for prices.

but if you mate could get down to singapore, the prices are very attractive.
    (KL to singapore, by plane is 45mins, by coach , 5 hours.)
    if he is going to johor, just across the causeway =]

I am getting a d200 when i get back in 2 weeks time.
    1.5k sgd, which is basically 1.2k aud.
    they are clearing d200s in singapore, might be a good time to grab one.

just a reference for singapore pricing,
    d40kit 680sgd
    d60kit 1k
    d80kit 1.3 body only

even cheaper if you buy grey in singapore.

B & H have the Sony Alphas for $US 699 + $70 shipping

18-70mm and 70 - 300mm lenses included

Camera won TIPA 2008 best entry SLR

Worth a look!

SLR Digital Cameras | B&H Photo Video

Thanks for all the feedback guys - much appreciated.
    2 More questions though
    1. Is the Canon 400D the successor to the 350D?
    2. Is the Canon 400D with the 18-55 lens good for a beginner?

Cheers
    20" Alu iMac | White 3GS
    Follow me on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback guys - much appreciated.
    2 More questions though
    1. Is the Canon 400D the successor to the 350D?
    2. Is the Canon 400D with the 18-55 lens good for a beginner?

Cheers
    1. yes, but now there is the 450D.
    2. back home, the 18-55mm is referred to as "dog toy". shoot for the newer version with IS, apparently it performs much better =]
    that being said, I am not sure if the 400d is offered as a kit with the new lense. I'll aim for the 450D just because of the better kit lense if you ask me

What do you want to take pics of?

I have just recently been discussing this with a friend who is in the same position
    as you, with roughly the same budget. Here's a few we were looking at:

Nikon D60 w/ AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G $850
    Nikon D60 Kit w/ 18-55mm & AF-S 55-200mm $1000
    Canon 400D w/ EFS 18-55mm IS $1100

The main difference between the two cameras is the Nikon use SD Cards and the Canon
    use Compact Flash cards - which can be that little bit more pricey. Another difference is
    the Nikon only has 3 focus points compared to 9 focus points on the Canon.

This is a good article about choosing the right camera for what you want and need.

Remember to keep in mind possible future upgrades, lens compatibility and availability.

Happy purchasing

I believe canon are soon to release an upgrade to 400d something that is like a more economical version of the new 450.
    Bennettnz
    Macbook Pro 13"/Mac Pro 2.66ghz quad/imac 24" x 3/iMac 21"/iMac 17"/G5 1.8 ghz/eMac 1.25ghz/Apple TV/iPad/iPhone... iDebt massive - (thanks Steve!)

Quote Originally Posted by bennettnz View Post
    I believe canon are soon to release an upgrade to 400d something that is like a more economical version of the new 450.
    Its called, for no obvious reason, the 1000D.

It would be better described as the 425D.

Quote Originally Posted by grippon View Post
    What do you want to take pics of?
    That's a great question - what subjects you're aiming to shoot will definatley affect your lens choice. For an all round lens look at 18-55 or 24-70 ish ranges. Or if you want to restrict yourself (which can sometimes be a good thing) pick up a good prime like the Canon 50mm f1.8.

A word of warning though - once you get into this hobby the camera body should be the cheapest bit of your kit (IMHO) - the real money goes on the lenses - as once you've bought into a system they can follow any body upgrades you might do in the future. Trust me though once you've got one you'll forever want another one.

Thankfully if you're competent at post processing you can still take great great shots with fairly cheap lenses. All the pics in my gallery (link in sig) have been taken with canon 10D -> 350D -> 400D and an assortment of lenses I picked up off ebay in the UK.

The number of second hand lenses available should be a consideration if your budget is tight - certainly Nikon & Canon lenses are in abundance on ebay the other brands not so much - but I'm sure momentum is building.

Really most of the consumer DSLRs are such a step up from compact / superzoom cams that whichever one you get you should be happy with - so get out there and start taking some pics - enjoy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast