Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Male Advice Required - Car Talk

Apologies to any female forum members how are knowledgeable with regards to cars, but...

I am looking to buy a diesel vehicle, preferably something safe, good value, hatch back or jeep-like for my diving gear. Not a tank - and up to around $35,000 new - but preferably second hand around $25k.

I have just got a new job and I will be driving more in a day than I normally do in a week (10km a week is a big week for me at the moment - live and work in the CBD) and I want something safe (lots of motorway travel against the traffic) and fuel efficient. Brand isn't important, but reliability and fuel efficiency is - as is the ability to comfortably do the 500km every quarter up to Bundaberg plus the 100km a week for work.

Suggestions???

Cheers

Tae

PS. I HATE car shopping - HATE HATE HATE HATE - yes a strong word, but I always end up getting pressured because I try to be nice and the next thing I know I have to do a runner and come back with a token guy.

PPS. Colour is not a factor - unless it is really shiny and pretty!
    My carbon footprint is PRADA.
    If you are bored, find me on iChat, visit my web page, read my uninteresting blog, Tweet me, and if all that fails - yell to get my attention.

PS. I HATE car shopping - HATE HATE HATE HATE - yes a strong word, but I always end up getting pressured because I try to be nice and the next thing I know I have to do a runner and come back with a token guy.
    So, to me it sounds like you hate it because you go to car-yards

I've bought 6 cars in my lifetime, not a single one of them from a car yard. Used car salesmen are scumbags of the highest order. Generally they don't know shit from cheese and will tell you what you want to hear to get you to drive out in the piece of shit they're selling. Too many times have I attempted to deal with used car dealers only to end up pissed off, one time even being asked to leave the yard - because I caught the dealer out clearly lying to me.

Get a mate who knows what they're looking at, and go shopping with private sellers. Before you buy, your local automobile association should offer a service for checking the vehicle over (RACQ up there?) so you know exactly what you're in for.

Sorry I can offer any tips on makes/models etc to go for - I'm a Japanese sports car fan myself and know nothing about oil burners

X-Trail NOT the CVT automatic.

Hi Vortex - I need a starting point. I did a bit of a search on Cars Guide and didn't find much at all... so looking for some brands / makes to get me going so I can handle the visits to view
    Thanks Lurka - will check it out
    T
    My carbon footprint is PRADA.
    If you are bored, find me on iChat, visit my web page, read my uninteresting blog, Tweet me, and if all that fails - yell to get my attention.

I'd be inclined to find a token guy to help you with your purchase regardless of what car/model you decide on. People will try it on with women and car purchases because they think they can get away with it. I'm sure you are aware that a disturbing number of vehicle traders have reputations as bottom feeders. These will try to take advantage of the token guy also so choose wisely.

When shopping for the token guy to help you I'd suggest looking for an older model (mid to late 1960's), thoughtful and intelligent is probably best, with a smallish but well balanced ego (earlier models with these qualities are also well worth looking in to). Maintenance on these is generally straightforward as they don't need constant stroking like the newer ones. Younger, more recent, models with large capacity egos can be quite troublesome as they tend not to readily accept input from the person in control as well as being high maintenance.

Oh wait... Cars? My folks drive a Peugeot 307 diesel. It has quite basic equipment, is quite solid, nice to drive, very reliable and gets around 5.5 - 6.5 litres per 100 km (~1000 kilometres on a 60 litre tank). They don't look bad either. If you want bells and whistles this car is probably not for you.

My GF had to buy a new car and due to weird circumstances found it easier to get a loan for $29k and a new car, than it was to get $10k for a second hand one...

She needed one for work urgently so we looked around. Her first choice was the much touted i30 from Hyundai - took the oil burner out for a test drive and it ran perfectly well - was powerful enough and on economy it's superb. The base model needs lots of extras to get it into the comfort zone. When we priced it all up the sales guy was a complete knob and he came in seriously over budget so we told them we'd think about it.

We had a test drive with Subaru for an Impreza. The guys in the showroom were great, very helpful friendly and polite. The car had both of us grinning from the pleasure of driving it. We priced it up and the guy was great. We made it clear what our budget was - and their base model fitted with that - yet did not need any work to get it into the comfort zone - 5 star safety, cruise control that we now both swear by, if you do lots of long driving it's brilliant. It's petrol, and pretty thirsty, but and to us this is the important bit.... she still loves the car. Totally happy with it, and does not regret the purchase.

Subaru are said to be bringing their diesel to Australia soonish. I read a review for it on 4car.com (UK site) (this pretty much was just for the engine) and they loved it.

I've driven the older focus oil burner 1.9tdci and it was a great drive as well.

I guess it depends on what you need. Your budget will easily hit a well equipped Impreza, Focus, etc.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

What about
    I mean (deep voice)
    what about a Volkswagon Golf
    they're surprisingly roomy and use almost no
    fuel on highway driving
    very safe
    very pleasant
    (test drive one anyway)

Rudy

If I could get one here I'd be buying a Bluemotion Polo. It's VW's take on hybrid and yet it manages to stay looking like a Polo. Something about changing the way a car looks to make it "look" hybrid gets right on my nerves.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

My vote is for the VW Golf Diesel. I'm tossing up between it and the GTI.
    Something about Jimby.

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    My vote is for the VW Golf Diesel. I'm tossing up between it and the GTI.
    I know when I can get a job here I'll be looking directly at the Golf GT Sport. I like wolves in sheep's clothing.

Nissan Terrano. It's a full-import, 4WD from japan that's diesel and is about the size and capacity of a RAV4, just a lot better built.

My friend Guy (Sydney-based) bought one 18 months ago that was already a few years old, well looked after, cost him $17,000 and it has done Melbourne-to-Cairns-and-back more times than he cares to think about and it has never skipped a beat.

Worth considering, if you'd like something a little larger than a Golf that could also handle some bush-bustin' action once in a while.

Do Diesel cars really give such great economy? Last night at Woolies Diesel was around $1.75 per litre... unleaded was $1.45 per litre...
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

If you want a jeep like experience you might consider one of these.
    Browser Warning

Another votw for the VW Golf. Sensational little cars. Just stunning.

If I were in the market for a sensible economical car I wouldn't go past a Diesel golf. Unfortunately I'm not into sensible cars at the moment
    [B]| Flickr | blog | MacTalk Podcaster | Official PM-Bid Hater #1

Just a random list of cars:

Hyundai i30

Ford Focus Diesel

Holden Astra Diesel

VW Golf Diesel (get the 2.0 litre turbo diesel)

VW Beetle Diesel (had a petrol one - not much boot space unless you put the back seats down but such a cool looking car - new one not far away?)

Honda Jazz VTiS CVT 7 speed Auto (have one at the moment - very economical - new one not far away)
    President (and only member) of the Hockey Puck and Mighty Mouse Appreciation Society

Just to add to the above list if looking second hand a Peugeot 306, 406 or 307 diesel are great cars, my uncle has owned one of each over the years and does a lot of long distance driving and all have been great, I would also look at the Golf Diesel, heard great things about them too.
    Successful trades: madmacs, jimdrum, eidlog_007, smdnetau, Aaron

Focus Diesel or Diesel Golf.

The Hyundai i30 might have a good safety rating, but there is still nothing that would make me consider buying one. Not a one. They don't look particularly attractive either.

The one thing you may want to consider is the 'economy' of a Golf is now diminishing, as Diesel is getting too expensive (and combined with Diesel cars being ~5,000 more than a Petrol one), it will take longer to make the extra cost up.

I'd be tempted to get a Top Of the Line Petrol Golf/Focus, and not worry about fuel prices. (But I do drive a V8, so I can't talk).

This is an email virus for Mac OS X. It works on the honor system. Please start deleting random files on your system and forward this message to everyone in your address book.

I bought the new xtrail.. and love it.... goes beautifully.... but mine is not diesel
    (not available in Japan)
    space inside is great... unless it is a family.

Im very happy with my fuel economy... but like I said.. its petrol.. so a diesel would be a different experience (probably a better one).
    Kuma's Tales now on Tumblr

delux's Avatar delux is offline It helps to have a mirror in the room

My personal choice would have to be the base model Skoda Octavia TDi Wagon or Hatch, both should be able to take all your gear.
    Skoda
    Although new to the Australian market the car brand has existed for a long while. Its owned by VW and uses VW vast engineering expertise and components (engines, safety systems etc). It also has excellent build quality and is rated as a better built vehicle than its cousins at VW They are having drive away deals at the moment and being new to the market you should also be able to bring the price down some more again.

Next up would be the base model golf diesel TDi, they represent a great bargain as they are now packed with extra features for no extra cost. A Golf looks small on the outside but is extremely well packaged so it will take all your diving gear. They also go for around the 25k mark 2nd hand. Link to golf in QLD Note: Example only, im not the seller and i do not know or represent the seller, just a Golf in QLD that looks like a bargain

The Hyundai i30 represents great value but as with all Hyundai products it will probably suffer from lacklustre resale value. So I would steer clear.

Peugeot, Citroen, Ford, Mazda, Fiat, all make diesel as well. So they may be worth a look. But I would highly recommend a Skoda or VW. They make the best diesels on the market.

This is a subject I could rant on about for ages as i am very passionate about Diesel cars, but I will leave you with this last and most important thought.

No matter which vehicle you choose, please try to ensure it has the following if your budget allows,
    Anti Lock Brakes
    Electronic Stability Control
    Airbags
    Which the Skoda has
    Skoda Safety

Good luck please let us all know how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
    Focus Diesel or Diesel Golf.

The Hyundai i30 might have a good safety rating, but there is still nothing that would make me consider buying one. Not a one. They don't look particularly attractive either.

The one thing you may want to consider is the 'economy' of a Golf is now diminishing, as Diesel is getting too expensive (and combined with Diesel cars being ~5,000 more than a Petrol one), it will take longer to make the extra cost up.

I'd be tempted to get a Top Of the Line Petrol Golf/Focus, and not worry about fuel prices. (But I do drive a V8, so I can't talk).
    I agree with Paxton.
    I've been in the market for about 6 months and I do a lot of groundwork when outlaying a large wad of my hard-earned.
    I feel that any savings made on hybrids and deisel are null and void for the first 5 years due to the higher initial purchase price.
    I'll be getting a Golf GTi but was whisker close to the XR5.
    Stay under 6 cyl's, buy petrol on a Tuesday with a supermarket discount voucher/card, drive like a chauffer and keep the heavy right foot for those special occasions.
    lotsa applz
    "I said no salt NO SALT on the margarita"
    flickr

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast