Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Time Capsule problem

the story so far:
    got a new imac and decided to get a time capsule at the same time. set everything up, migrated the old system and got a backup to the time capsule. we decided to keep the old imac for the rest of the family. However, time machine backups just won't happen for the second mac.

It sees the time capsule, I can select it, it prepares and then just give an error "The backup volume could not be found.". Not finding much at the apple forums, except maybe a permissions bug introduced in 10.5.3 which I'm running on both. I even clean installed the old mac, just incase there was a clash with me being the admin user on both, even though I had change the name to try and help avoid that.

what now?

is there any special set up of the time capsule to allow a second computer on it? I can see it and the other computers backup.
    wait for a patch from apple? this is all apple gear, it shouldn't happen
    any suggestions appreciated

cheers,
    Danny.
    iMac 27" 2.66i5/1Tb/12Gb | 32Gb iPhone 5
    "I wish they'd just wipe out humanity and get it over with. It's the waiting I can't stand." - Fry, Futurama.

Complete stab in the dark and I might seem a moron for suggesting it. Could the 'names' given to each iMac have anything to do with it? I'm backing up 2 almost identical MacBooks to a Time Capsule and have had no problems (backing up an iMac to it as well). Each MacBook has a different network name, and each HDD has a name.

The Time Machine seems to back up by HDD name rather than machine the HDD is in so I'm not sure if this is helpful or not.:o
    MacBook Core Duo, iPhone 3G, MacMini Core Duo, iPod 5.5, HiFi, Time Capsule, 2 X Airport Express, BT Mouse, BT Keyboard, Lacie Porsche DL

I did change the names, and to be completely sure of no residual ownership issues I clean installed the second mac, but I get the exact same error as before.
    iMac 27" 2.66i5/1Tb/12Gb | 32Gb iPhone 5
    "I wish they'd just wipe out humanity and get it over with. It's the waiting I can't stand." - Fry, Futurama.

Danny,
    when I set up my TC for my 2 macs I had no problems.
    First I connected the iMac via ethernet to the TC and ran TimeMachine after everything was set up....

then I connected my MBP to the TC via the ethernet cable (and disconnecting the iMac) and did same... and had no problems...

from that setup point onwards I have used the WiFi for the MBP and ethernet for the iMac... and had zero problems

I realise that this might not be very helpful.. but maybe you might find some ideas in what I did.
    Kuma's Tales now on Tumblr

i did musch the same as Kuma, running 4 macs on one TC, all backed up via ethernet 1st time and wirelessly since.