Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: Airport Card

darknight84 Guest

So my airport card is now dead in the ibook, i know this since i removed it and used a friends airport card for a short while to test. My question is does it have to be an airport card installed in my ibook or can I use another wireless card like from belkin?

My ibook is an G3 800Mhz just so you guys know (compatibility issues) I really cant afford to buy another one since they cost so much, even on ebay the cost a fair bit and since im a student im on a budget. So is using another wireless card like belkin 802.11b ok? would it even work? who here does have one installed? belkin - dlink whichever...

Thanks ya'll

The Airport and Airport extreme cards use proprietary connection sockets. If you can't get another Airport card, there was a recent thread detailing various USB 802/11b adapters that work. See here to check.

There is also a pinned topic dealing with various alternate Wireless cards that can be easily used with OS X here

Bummer about the Airport Card and good luck with finding a solution that suits your budget and needs.
    Remember when Apple was the little upstart?

you can find some AP cards around.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

www.macmate.com.au

Leader of: Apple General, Help! & iPods, iTMS & Accessories

Additionally Techbuy have this USB adapter as no doubt will many other online retailers Including a one of Appletalk's previous sponsors Streetwise DLink USB wireless adapter
    Remember when Apple was the little upstart?

Macmate, I think they mentioned they can get the cards.

But truthfully. eBay and other places that sell them, do so at a preium these days, as Apple has discontinued the cards. And there is still a massive demand for them.

Good luck with your quest.

pipsqeek
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

Every now and then Airport cards show up on the FS forum here, for good prices. I'd just keep saving up for one as an external USB/network bridge will be an annoyance, too bulky and cumbersome for a portable machine.

JB

darknight84 Guest

Yeah alright, if anyone out there is selling a standard airport card then please msg me. I really need one for my home networking and uni. Thanks.

Originally posted by darknight84@Apr 6 2005, 06:53 PM
    Yeah alright, if anyone out there is selling a standard airport card then please msg me. I really need one for my home networking and uni. Thanks.
    I was about to suggest to you darkknight84 to try the Wanted to Buy section of our Trading Forum, and then I see you have already done it..

Good luck with the hunt!