Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default $69 Carrier Showdown

Ok, I'm posting a continuation of the Data Plan analysis thing I did, but this time I included calls and caps etc. so it though I'd post another thread since it's not the same thing. If a mod wants to merge the topics then that's OK I suppose.

This time I looked at $49 caps on the same 5 carriers I did the data thing to ($45 cap for Virgin) and added $20 of Data. So I looked at what you get on a $49 cap while spending $20 on Data.

I might go through and tweak the numbers to make versions for different caps and less or more on data, just to see if the winner is the same for all price points.

as i posted in your other thread, there are ways of getting around tel$tra's piracy pricing for their Same G network. I am paying about $45 for 1Gb of data on a prepaid USIM using credits purchased on Feebay.

Whoops, I have Optus's call rates wrong. Will update in a few minutes.

EDIT: Ok, done.

Vodafone and Optus are about to release new data/voice plans to go with the iphone. No firm indication yet, however they will be better value that what is available on the market at the moment.
    Ice Ice . . . . Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by msilsby View Post
    Vodafone and Optus are about to release new data/voice plans to go with the iphone. No firm indication yet, however they will be better value that what is available on the market at the moment.
    I'm well aware of the fact they will probably have iphone specific plans, and I have a Numbers document to compare all the carriers when the iPhone is released, I just need to put in the numbers when the iPhone is released, so hopefully people can use it to get the best deal.

What I'd like to do is program a little app (flash or web, I don't know any OSX programming) so people can put in what they want, how much they're willing to spend, and output the best plan.

Nice work (again).

I really hope 3 announce they will have the iPhone.
    iPhone 4 | iPad | MBA | iMac 27"
    EyeTV/IceTV | SecuritySpy User

Starscream Guest

Done in Numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Done in Numbers?
    Yeah.

I've done another version comparing what you get for spending $40. When you combine $30 cap with $10 of Data Virgin is by far the winner, I had to leave Telstra out because they don't have anything cheaper than $49, and Optus is done with a $20 cap and $10 data, because Optus goes $19 cap to $49 cap, no $30 cap.

Ok here it is, one for people who don't want to spend $70 a month, this covers $40 a month, the rankings don't change much expect Virgin soars to the top, mainly because of its $10 for 300mb, it's calls are still pretty bad though.

Yeah Great stuff again NeoRicen
    Macbook Pro 17" i7 Unibody : Mac Mini Server : iMac 24"

Thumbs up

Fcuk a duck, do you not have a day job!?

Great work! Thanks from me.

Quote Originally Posted by spargo View Post
    Fcuk a duck, do you not have a day job!?

Great work! Thanks from me.
    It really doesn't take long, and I spread it over a week or so.

Putting my hand up.... please sir... I don't have a clue what all that means!

But then I'm totally and utterly screwed by all the advertising regarding mobile phone services here. I hear stuff like 389 dollar value for 69 dollars. What the hell does that mean?!

I admit to having it easy previously - I worked for Virgin Media (who own Virgin mobile in the UK) so was given a staff rate - for me I was on a pre-pay (I knew I was leaving so no point in a contract) and for every penny I spent on calls I got half of it back in credit at the end of the month.

Alas Virgin in the UK at the time did not do data.

So.. care to explain the dumbest terms what exactly all this stuff is going on about?

For clarity sake for Virgin Mobile UK calls cost15p per minute flat rate to call UK mobiles and landlines. That's on pre-pay. (no contract)

For contract you can get 20 150 mins any network and 150 text messages - adding data is costly.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

I explained it as much as I could in the actual image, but if you're just wondering about caps In general I can help.

A Cap plan basically means you pay a certain amount (in my fist example it's $49) but you get more value. Basically you pay every 30 seconds for a call, the rate varies for each carrier (you can see the rates in the tables in the analysis under "call rate".

Australia doesn't do 'minutes' plans where you get a set amount of minutes per plan, instead you just Pay as You Go (at the per 30 second call rate and a connection fee for each call called flagfall). A cap means you just pay for your calls as usual but once you reach your 'cap' (A $49 cap means once you reach $49 worth of calls/messages) you stop paying. So say you make enough calls to spend $80, you only have to pay $49, however once you hit the cap peak (different carriers have different peaks, if you look at my first example, a Telstra $49 cap has a peak of $200) you start paying again.

From the 3 Cap FAQ:
    Q: What is a Cap?
    A cap works by 'capping' key services like national and international voice calls and SMS, national MMS, Voicemail and special numbers at a certain limit each month. For example, the $29 Cap allows you to make up to $120 worth of national and international calls, SMS and other included services, and you only pay $29 per month.
    Q: What happens when I go over my Cap value limit?
    At that point standard rates apply. So on the $29 Cap for example, standard rates apply once you've reached your $120 monthly Cap limit. See the Cap details table for standard rates.
    On a $49 cap with $200 included value:
    $35 worth of calls, messages etc. you pay $35
    $49 worth of calls, messages etc. you pay $49
    $80 worth of calls, messages etc. you pay $49
    $120 worth of calls, messages etc. you pay $49
    $200 worth of calls, messages etc. you pay $49
    $210 worth of calls, messages etc. you pay $59
    $250 worth of calls, messages etc. you pay $99

/tips hat at NeoRicen

Thank you for that really good explanation!
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Quote Originally Posted by NeoRicen View Post
    It really doesn't take long, and I spread it over a week or so.
    Sweet.. well, I was impressed. Well done.

Well done NeoRicen,
    informative and good looking too..
    Made on a Mac.
     iMac 27" i7  iPhone 5 64GB.

When the iPhone plans are announced I've got a Numbers document just waiting for me to plug data into it.

That's it but with Blackberry plans from Optus and Vodafone plugged in as an example. I chose blackberry plans because iPhone plans could be similar.

It's interesting just looking at them though, Optus charges you for the phone, but you get unlimted data. Vodafone only has unlimted email but you get the phone completely free.

An interesting thing in Vodafone's terms of service is that if you don't activate the phone and hold on to it (meaning you got it for free), they send you a bill for $350. So if the iPhone is subsidised and free on Vodafone don't think not activating it will get you a free phone.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

A question I meant to ask earlier, actually. I had my Blackberry getting email sent to it from my work system using the Blackberry Internet Server at Vodafone.

Will there be a similar system, or will it either be push email direct from enterprise servers and/or pull email?

Kevin
    2013 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4/500GB, 2x 27" iMacs, iPhone 5 Black, several iPads.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    A question I meant to ask earlier, actually. I had my Blackberry getting email sent to it from my work system using the Blackberry Internet Server at Vodafone.

Will there be a similar system, or will it either be push email direct from enterprise servers and/or pull email?

Kevin
    Apple doesn't have their own (at the moment) way of getting Push email. Leaked details from the SDK suggest .Mac will get push email, but no indication of whether or not carriers will offer .Mac email with their plans. My guess is they won't and the only way you will be able to get Push email on the iPhone is to have an Exchange email server, or to sign yourself up to .Mac and direct your normal Mail account to .Mac.

Thanks for putting in the effort, people like you make this forum great
    24" 2.8 iMac C2
    MacBook 2.4
    3GS iPhone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast