Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Using Airport for airtunes + as a utp hub

I have a Airport Express running airtunes hooked up to the stereo. Everything is working great.

However I am building a new pvr, and would like to use the airport to get a UTP ethernet connection onto the network and still retain it's airtunes functionality. Is this possible?

I have tried plugging in my mac to it but there was no network action. I wouldn't need a crossover cable?

Thanks.. any ideas gratefully accepted!

I think this should work. You may have to tweak your AirPort Settings though.
    adamd
    iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod nano, iPod Touch, iPod mini, G3+G4 iMac, G4 PowerMac

The airport express will only be able to have an active ethernet port if it's in WDS mode. If it's a client of your existing network the ethernet port will be inactive.

if your main unit is a airport base station also you should be able to setup a WDS network which will be able to provide an ethernet connection for your PVR.

Well I'm off to buy a airport extreme today to get this working and replace my old dieing dlink. Hopefully it should work!