Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Where is wireless network password kept in XP?

Where in Windows XP is a Wireless network password stored?
    I'm setting up a friends Macbook. He wants to use it on his wireless network. A Windows laptop is already able to connect. I have admin. privileges on the Windows machine, so should be able to access the password within the machine. Where is it kept?
    I can't get into the router to find the password there. (He can't remember his password into the router either...)
    Can anyone help please?
    Jimdrum 2.66ghz Unibody MBP, 450mhz. Cube, 15" iMac, 16 gb iPod Touch, 16 gb nano. Successful trades: too many to list!

that sucks,

Reset the router to defaults. There should be a section in the manual then create a new password

Its usually admin admin anyway

Probably in the registry somewhere...but I'd get that's it's encrypted. Honestly, he should just reset his router to factory defaults (there's normally a way to do it listed in the manual or on the manufacturer's website) and reapply the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by wally4000 View Post
    that sucks,

Reset the router to defaults. There should be a section in the manual then create a new password

Its usually admin admin anyway
    Thanks, fellas. I was hoping to avoid resetting the router because I'll then have to re-configure his G5 internet settings, which is also on the network but connected via ethernet. He won't know the protocols that his ISP requires, so this will probably mean a long wait on the phone....
    Or.. can I find them within his network settings in System Preferences?
    Jimdrum 2.66ghz Unibody MBP, 450mhz. Cube, 15" iMac, 16 gb iPod Touch, 16 gb nano. Successful trades: too many to list!

Quote Originally Posted by jimdrum View Post
    Thanks, fellas. I was hoping to avoid resetting the router because I'll then have to re-configure his G5 internet settings, which is also on the network but connected via ethernet. He won't know the protocols that his ISP requires, so this will probably mean a long wait on the phone....
    Or.. can I find them within his network settings in System Preferences?
    You just need to goto the wireless settings section/page on the router in question then make up a new wep/wpa password. Then configure the other machines to use the new settings. You do not have to wipe the entire router back to defaults (unless of course he doesn't know the logon password to the router either).

Best to tell them to right these down and put in a safe place for future calls for assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by purana View Post
    You just need to goto the wireless settings section/page on the router in question then make up a new wep/wpa password. Then configure the other machines to use the new settings. You do not have to wipe the entire router back to defaults (unless of course he doesn't know the logon password to the router either).

Best to tell them to right these down and put in a safe place for future calls for assistance.
    Thanks, Purana. He doesn't know the logon password to the router, unfortunately.
    I'll be teaching him how to use Keychain Access once all this is done!