Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default How big can a monitor be before it becomes a TV?

Is 24" the largest monitor available? We are thinking of a media centre setup and have noticed that 24" monitors are much cheaper than Tvs and seem to still have HD resolution. Is this true? We are after something widescreen around 80cm and are wondering if there is a really big monitor that size, and if so, would it be cheaper than a TV with comparable resolution??

Forgive my ignorance.....
    Macintosh SE (OS 7.1); 15" MBP Intel Core i5 2.4ghz (Snow Leopard); too many iGadgets

I don't recommend using a monitor as a TV unless you're going to be sitting up close to it.

Good quality (Samsung, Sony etc) 32" (80cm) 720p LCDs are only $1000 these days. There are 30" LCDs (which is higher resolution than 1080 HD and will make TV look horrible) is $2000.

why does the higher resolution make tv look horrible?
    Check out this app and maybe use it to book a restaurant or order some munch. Owned by an Aussie :) App Store link

Thanks, I thought there must be some difference in the display between Tvs and monitors. I'll tell DH to calm down...
    Macintosh SE (OS 7.1); 15" MBP Intel Core i5 2.4ghz (Snow Leopard); too many iGadgets

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanh View Post
    why does the higher resolution make tv look horrible?
    LCDs have a fixed resolution (for a 32" LCD, it's 1366x768) - if you try and resize an image to fit that resolution, it looks bad. Set your computer to it's non native LCD resolution (say, 1024x768 on a 1440x960 resolution LCD) and you'll see what I mean.

Some people tolerate it, but I can't stand it. Unless the input signal is the same resolution of the display, the image looks smeared and/or pixelated.

Agreed. I scream/shout/pull (what's left of) my hair telling people not to use teles as monitors!

Quote Originally Posted by mechcon View Post
    Agreed. I scream/shout/pull (what's left of) my hair telling people not to use teles as monitors!
    Are we not talking about the other way around though?

Just buy a 30" Cinema Display.

See? It's called a Cinema display for a reason
    I am the tech savvy at-risk youth.