Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to where I could get a headphone socket the same as the ones in the 12" (and other AL) powerbooks?

Powerbook was in a bag and fell off a chair and landed on its side, unfortunately the headphones were plugged in and its left a small dent, but more importantly the socket snapped clean off the motherboard. i've pulled it all apart and found the logic board is fine, but i need a new socket, I don't think i can fix this one.

I've checked jaycar.com.au, dicksmith.com.au and RSaustralia.com with no luck. I have found a few similar sockets but none the correct size.

I have also emailed every "powerbook spares" site under the sun (couldn't find any aussie ones though)

Any help as to where i could source one from would be great. at this stage i might use the line in port (assuming its the same) but id rather have a fully functioning PB.

Highly appreciate any suggestions

NO wonder the apple spares places can't help.. the bit in question is not a spare... The logic board would be replaced to fix that problem...

Your best bet might be finding a board with a similar type of headphone socket on it and taking it... ie desolder it and resolder onto your logic board.

Good luck

thanks iodine, thats what im currently looking to do, but as yet i haven't found a socket small enough. i've checked a few pc motherboards, small potable radios.. cant find much at all.

I realise its not an actual apple spare parts, when i talked about emailed spare parts places i was referring to places that sell logic board etc, some of the sites claim to sell bits off them..

I knew without asking apple would just say replace the logic board, it seems crazy for a part that ought to cost a few bucks.

thanks for the suggestion, Ill keep looking

Getting someones logic board is going to be pretty difficult.. unless of course someone just recently drove off with it on the roof and then later claimed it on insurance..

I guess it might take you time to track one down...