Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default itunes not syncing and crashing - appletv. iphones and ipods

Hi, not sure where this fits in. I think its an iTunes issue.

I picked up a brand new 160GB apple tv today. I immediately upgraded to software version 2.01, and i am running itunes 7.6.2 (9) (on a Tiger G4 system).

I thought it would be a pain in the rear to set up like my dads one, and it was.

Everytime iTunes tries to sync with it (as the dedicated synced itunes library and not a shared library), itunes freezes. Force quit doesn't kill itunes. And restarting just crashes OS X forcing me to do a hard restart with the power key.

OK, well then I thought I had a permissions problem and fixed the ones on my main hard disk.

That didnt fix things.

Now I notice that whenever I go to sync an iphone/ipod I get the this disc could not be read from or written to error.

So it seems that iTunes wont sync anything anymore?

Any ideas?

I have tried wired and wireless syncing for the appletv

can i restore a cracked iPhone?

update #3 - syncs fine with itunes 7.6.1 on my macbook.

anyone know how to downgrade itunes on a PPC G4 running tiger?

Ok I havent managed to downgrade on my main iMac.

But I have managed to identify major issues with iPhoto now as well.

When I go to play old avi's imported from my digital camera it gets the spinning beachball, and force quit wont shut the app down fully, and restarts just hang the machine.

Seems to have crashed quicktime as well.

Interestingly as I have to force quite them or restart the computer, there is nothing recent in the crash logs for these apps.

anyone care to suggest anything other than a clean install?

well fiddled around with iPhoto and deleted some very old avi's. a few crashes and restarts later, its all working, itunes is now syncing the ipods, the iphones and the appltv.

if anyone is having the same trouble, i hope this helps

Are your machines running 7.6.2 behind a proxy server? I was having the same issues as you with iTunes crashing when I connected by iPhone to my laptop at work (behind a proxy server). When at home I get no crashes (no proxy server). 7.6.2 is a pile of crap.
    Something about Jimby.

Seems to be a problem with Bonjour. After I updated to iTunes 7.6.2 all sharing stopped, on both Windows and Mac OS platforms. If any one has Bonjour (mDNS ) experience please offer some suggestions...
    Jewmac

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    -- Albert Einstein