Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Connect New Computer to Existing Time Machine Backup

My wife started using time machine a few weeks ago after the airport/time machine update was released.

The Time machine backup excluded system files.

So This week her new Macbook Air arrives. I used migration assistant to restore her files from a time machine backup. Everything with her profile was fine except Time Machine was turned off on the Macbook Air.

This is where I run into a problem. When I enable Time Machine on the Macbook Air it wants to create a new backup on the Airdisk backing up the 40GB of data again to a new sparsebundle on the Airdisk.

Is it possible to point Time Machine to the existing sparsebundle on the Airdisk and get it to continue backing up to that bundle so I don't have to resend the 40GB of data again?

There is a Mac OS X Hint that does this with Non Airdisk Backups;

macosxhints.com - 10.5: Repair Time Machine after logic board changes

I've attempted this with my AirDisk Backup and I can't get it to work. Does anyone know what type data is the contents of the .macaddress file on the Time Machine disk?

Resurrecting an old thread to say that I just did this to transfer the Time Machine backups from my Macbook to my Mac Pro.
    The Macbook had a different computer name to the Mac Pro so I'm hoping that doesn't cause any conflicts. So far everything seems to be working smoothly.