Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Science Fiction & the Networks

G'day,

/rant

Last night I watched 8.30pm Gordon Ramsey, then saw that "up next" (9.30pm) was some stupid British reality show.

I went and played Halo for a bit, then went to bed (gone are the long nights playing Halo, as my son is up at 7am, and thus so am I).

D'oh, I thought to myself upon waking. I must have missed Terminator (the Mysterious Chronicles of a not quite right Sarah Connor, or whatever it's called) last night. Hang on, I thought. I was watching Channel 9... so, I couldn't have missed it?

Checked the guides online... Sure enough - 10.30pm, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Now... Ok, I'm pissed that I missed the show. It's kind of getting interesting, it's got that cute chick from Firefly in it, and I love seeing the Terminator exo-skeleton, which they seem to nearly do each episode, probably to re-enforce - Yes, it's The TERMINATOR.

But what made this worse... I WAS WATCHING the right channel for a full hour at least, and there wasn't one ad saying - the show you're used to seeing next, is in fact now next next.

What is sad to me though, as a sci fi nut, is that this is neither the first nor last science fiction tv series that a network has started at a "decent" time, and then pushed further and further back into the dark of night. Star Trek started from memory at around 7.30pm on Ch9, and ended up (in Darwin at least) starting between 10.30pm - 11.30pm. Farscape was similar. Battlestar started out fairly early, maybe if only for the first "season/telemovies". Hell, (understandably) Torchwood went to midnight after a few episodes...

I wonder how the public would actually respond if the networks gave them the chance to get into such a series... before they yanked it away to the middle of next week...

/rant
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

i know what u mean...stargate is on at around midnight or a bit before.... :-(
     MacBook Pro V4.1, 2.4Ghz, 250GB DD, 4 GB RAM
     Apple 20" Cinema Display & Silver Bluetooth KB & MM
     iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    - 1TB, 320GB & 160 GB Free Agent External HDD (Time Machine, Media & Stuff)

you guys are still watching FTA TV?
    Kuma's Tales now on Tumblr

ya...sadly...cant afford/too much crap on pay tv and im hopefully gettin a HD STB soon :-D
     iPhone 3G 16GB Black

Heh, I'm glad I have a DVR. It never has missed a recording. That DVR might save your life, unless you guys don't have them down in Australia.
    Computers: Mac Mini, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 1GB RAM, Combo Drive; IBM ThinkPad R40, Intel Pentium M 1.3GHz, 256MB RAM, dual boots Windows XP Home and Ubuntu 7.10

my blog

I gave up on Stargate... do watch SG:A, but I download it cos it's a year+ behind.

Kuma, 32GB only gets you so many shows per month... and as long as our networks aren't unrealistically behind the States, then I will watch them on FTA... it's better to see them on my TV than my eMac... (don't want to waste DVDs for shows I'm only going to watch once).

osxdude - you mean a digital video recorder? replacement to the vcr? do they have built in tv guides to know when shows are on?
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

down in australia???????? WTH? besides i have all the seasons of SG so im not really missing that
     iPhone 3G 16GB Black

There is a reason.

People who watch SF (please, no self-respecting science fiction afficionado calls it 'sci-fi') are, on the whole, much more intelligent than the usual bottom-feeding TV watcher. They are either likely to already have the show on DVD, record their SF shows to watch later (and thus fast-forward through the ads), or are sufficiently bright enough to realise advertising is a ploy to make you part with money you don't have for things you don't need, and will ignore them. Advertisers don't want to buy slots in SF shows any more, because they see it as a waste of money for the above-mentioned reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by osxdude View Post
    Heh, I'm glad I have a DVR. It never has missed a recording. That DVR might save your life, unless you guys don't have them down in Australia.
    DVRs? Eh? I don't know what crazy stuff you're getting up there in the US, but we've only just discovered VHS!

I was really pissed about this too, I watch sarah connor religiously, I deal't with them moving it from 8:30pm to 9:30pm in the past but last night my printed TV guide said terminator 9:30 and some horrid british garbage was on. So I checked on yahoo and it said 10:30 pm, at least I did get to see it and it was a good episode.

I can really see Nine taking this show off air very soon.Thank god for hulu.. oh wait... thank god for BT.

I have DVR (i think) a panasonic divx hard drive recorder but this was avertised as 9:30 and was aired at 10:30, so if you used the Gcode or auto programming , it would have recorded the show about feral british women instead.
    Ipod Touch 8 gig 1.1.4 | Mini Pink 1 gig 1.4
    Macbook Pro 15" 4,1 250 gig drive 2 gig ram Glossy :)

The reason that stuff gets pushed back further in the time schedule is a mixture of what Brains said and simple viewing figures here and now.

If a programme has been a big hit in the USA then a network here will pick it up and run it in a similar time slot hoping to get the same kind of audience, hoping that the audience figures will translate across. This might not happen, for a number of simple reasons:

Poor advertising awareness
    Generally poorly marketed advertising
    Poor viewing figures > this is a 3 part section though - it derives from the first two and, of course, everyones favourite - channel BT / NZB's

The stations air the programmes to get you to watch adverts... if the figures are not justifying the advertising revenue then things will change. I have no idea what kind of situation your TV channels here are in money wise but at least 2 large UK networks are in DEEP trouble, ITV and Channel 4. TV viewing figures are down. Advertising is down. The schedulers have to be cut throat.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    There is a reason.

People who watch SF (please, no self-respecting science fiction afficionado calls it 'sci-fi') are, on the whole, much more intelligent than the usual bottom-feeding TV watcher. They are either likely to already have the show on DVD, record their SF shows to watch later (and thus fast-forward through the ads), or are sufficiently bright enough to realise advertising is a ploy to make you part with money you don't have for things you don't need, and will ignore them. Advertisers don't want to buy slots in SF shows any more, because they see it as a waste of money for the above-mentioned reasons.
    argh.. must fight... resist... agreeing with brains... argh it hurts....

but that would also explain that in this day and age with the huge numbers of sci fi oops SF fans out there.. that there is a dearth of good SF around.. when there should be in fact a enough SF to fill a tv channel with 24 hours a day new content. The US Sci Fi Channel is a joke... it has very little real sci fi.
    Kuma's Tales now on Tumblr

Not only did Terminator get the Battlestar Galactica treatment (timeslot only after everyone is asleep) but they also switched from 9 HD to normal channel 9! While a stupid talkback style show was placed on the HD channel. Honestly which would you rather watch on HD and who is more likely to have an HD set up - someone who likes talkback or someone that is a SF fan. Free TV in Australia is a joke.
    Bennettnz
    Macbook Pro 13"/Mac Pro 2.66ghz quad/imac 24" x 3/iMac 21"/iMac 17"/G5 1.8 ghz/eMac 1.25ghz/Apple TV/iPad/iPhone... iDebt massive - (thanks Steve!)

This whole new social structure being created by the HD devide is really pissing me off...

Journeyman interested me, but went to HD... I have no idea if it died or what, and now never will. (No, it doesn't interest me enough to open another window, hit IMDB, and search for the show...)

But seriously - I don't have $300 or whatever to buy a HD STB... As much as I *like* that we've got these new HD channels, I hate that I'm missing out on them.

First thing I'll do when I get that job at JB Hi-Fi Indooroopilly.......

all i know is that the terminator Sarah chronicles or whatever are available on the USA itunes. I hate ads, so i just buy them off there. I can live with the small cost of paying for tv quality tv shows.
    Check out this app and maybe use it to book a restaurant or order some munch. Owned by an Aussie :) App Store link

I'm gonna tack this onto my old thread... cos it's greatly tied in with the thread title...

In 1985 some US network aired 8 episodes of a show called "Otherworld". It was a sci-fi show that you could say was a precursor to Sliders, and/or Quantum Leap. It was a mid-season replacement, that was cancelled itself after a short time.

In Darwin it aired in about 1989/90 (presumably for the first time), and suckered me in... only of course to end after 8 weeks.

Well, here's a website dedicated to it:

otherworldonline.org

It's worth looking for anyone who remembers this show... cos... it's got something very valuable on it... if you know what I mean...

B.T.
    Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.

- Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Quote Originally Posted by tintinaujapon View Post
    B.T.
    I've searched "B.T." for years for Otherworld... seen nothing... but yes... I think "B.T." may soon have Otherworld too...

Whislt "B.T." may be wrong... people (individuals) selling DVD/VHS of old tv shows for profit has to be much wrongerer. And that's the only source I've known of for this show til now.

Wow, now that is obscure - I'd never heard of it and Wiki isn't even able to confirm the existence of more than 8 episodes of a planned 13 beyond 'some people in Spain remember a finale'.

BT is defeated by obscurity.

Sounds like a cracker of a TV show though.
    Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.

- Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Look if you want good Sci-fi on stable primetime TV. I suggest you kill yourself and plead with god to be born in the 1950's so you can watch it all you want in the 60's.

The best channel for Sci-fi in Australia is a 30gig cap and transmission

Its all Football and reality TV now. Humanity has lots its romance with science and space
    Sick of Bullshit? Go here
    www.youngausskeptics.com

iBook 14'' 1GB Ram, MBP(santa) 15" 4GB ram, iPod Nano(3G) 4gb, iPod shuffle 512mb, iPod Touch 8gb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast