Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Mail, Google Mail and pop3

Hey all

got a question.. have recently setup mail.app to have my gmail collected via IMAP.. and how sweet it is.

inside gmail (settings), i have also added my pop3 domain so i can also check this account from within gmail while at work from a browser.

my question is, will my gmail imap account receive mails from this pop3 server within mail.app?

i have been receiving a few duplicates, but not all.. so im wondering if i can remove my pop3 account within mail.app, and simply rely upon imap??

has anyone else done this, and is it a good idea?

sorry if the above in confusing.. i have re read and seems ok?

cheers all

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    so im wondering if i can remove my pop3 account within mail.app, and simply rely upon imap??

has anyone else done this, and is it a good idea?
    My gmail account within mail.app is only set up as imap - but I still sometimes go in via web to view.

i have also added my pop3 domain so i can also check this account from within gmail while at work from a browser
    Why do you need to do that?
    Kushti

im thinking for my iphone it would be handy.

plus i can centralise my mail. i just love imap, and i cant do this on my domain server.
    2008 MBP 2.4Ghz 4GigRam, vista server with 2 TB, iPhone 3g white, Ps3, logitech z680 5.1 system, LG 42inch HD plasma, Wii,

There is a handy little guide that talks you through how to set up your folders within mail.app and also how to set gmail imap on your iphone - but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment, maybe try googling?

My question was really why you need pop when you have set up imap?
    Kushti

thats the thing i dont need pop

my questions is can i remove my pop for @tri-studios.net, cause i have added this account into GMAIL, so it will check

i guess the ultimate question is will it only check via web interface, or will it also be pushed via imap to mail.app
    2008 MBP 2.4Ghz 4GigRam, vista server with 2 TB, iPhone 3g white, Ps3, logitech z680 5.1 system, LG 42inch HD plasma, Wii,

Send yourself a test email and see if it works. To @tri-studios.net that is.

have done so, and yeah, only seems to send it to @tri-studios.net...

but for others, im getting duplicates..

weird.