Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default David Watanabe at it again!

The developer everyone loves to hate has continued his fine form.

If you're interested in the significant background, have a read first of this:
    http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2007/04...tivation_sucks

And the follow up:
    http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2007/04...fire_aftermath

Like that posters experience, I loved NewsFire. Thought it was head and shoulders above all other RSS/Atom readers on OS X. I gladly paid him the license fee back in September 2005, and have been a happy user since.

Recently, I received my copy of the Leopard 10.5 beta (yes, it's legitimate), and thought i'd try it out. So, on an external drive, I created a new partition and installed Leopard on it. Everything seemed to work well enough. I had installed a bunch of software on the partition, including NewsFire, to simulate an active, usable OS. Wanted to see if things broke, or if they worked without any problems.

So, after several days of use, I was happy and confident enough to install it as my main OS, rather than on a partition. I'm developing some process control software, and build 9A466, whilst not bug free, is stable enough to begin the latest step of development on. So, I backed up my data, and did a fresh install. Subsequently, I reinstalled my software, including NewsFire.

However, it won't let me activate it:
    Sorry, your registration cannot be verified.
    Please consult your original receipt to ensure you are entering the correct email address. If you have not purchased a registration, you must do so before proceeding.
    So, I sent off an email to the developer, David Watanabe, with the PayPal email address I used, and even the transaction ID number, and the date of purchase. What do I get? Nothing. Silence.

How much longer do we in the Mac community have to put up with this cancerous developer? I don't care much for his other software, but NewsFire is brilliant. I paid good money for the license, and I don't accept being treated so poorly.

I guess if you don't like it, there are many alternatives. I use NetNewsWire as I found it a bit faster to use than NewsFire.

If you don't like him, don't use his apps, simple

That said, how long has it been since you've asked for support from David? Give him some time to reply.

Been 5 days.

I don't really like NetNewsWire. Never have. But besides, that's not the point. I've paid money for something which I can't now enjoy as I see fit.

Oh well then, David Watanabe is scum of the earth and should die for his vile acts

he is only one person ... just imagine how many emails he would receive each day, either wait, or send another email. if it were a big company i would be peeved, but come on this guy is an independent software developer.
    righto then

Quote Originally Posted by xfodder View Post
    he is only one person ... just imagine how many emails he would receive each day, either wait, or send another email. if it were a big company i would be peeved, but come on this guy is an independent software developer.
    if it was a one off case it wouldn't be so bad but with david its a constant thing.
    Have a look on software sites and google and you will find lots of examples

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Oh well then, David Watanabe is scum of the earth and should die for his vile acts
    Don't be patronising. He has a very, very long history of poor service and arrogance.

He is known as the non-respondent developer among many circles.
    Also as the whining developer in other circles.

True I haven't found the need to bother learning any more.
    why are you reading this?

I'm very tempted to submit to digg this thread just to highlight yet again why people should avoid paying and using his software.

Quote Originally Posted by queraxus View Post
    Don't be patronising. He has a very, very long history of poor service and arrogance.
    Yet you still bought NewsFire

I wasn't well aware of that back in September 2005 ...

to quote myself in another thread:

xtorrent is real pretty, but....

i must admit, even though decryption interviewed dave watanabe, which was cool, i cant help but think he is a dodgy mofo. i mean, he makes some pretty stuff, but everything he charges for really should be free. newsfire is rss, now really, who here pays for their rss client. xtorrent is all about sharing linux distros, which we dont pay for, so the client should be free.

acquisition is, i dont know, some how legal, yet he nags the fuck out of you if you try to use that too...

Well, I'm a bit worried now since I use NewsFire too :|

Quote Originally Posted by queraxus View Post
    He has a very, very long history of poor service and arrogance.
    I concur, the limited contact I have had with him matches this statement.

If only I could find something better than Acquisition

I'm still waiting on a response too...

Ah well. I'm sure his business is suffering for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SyncMan
    f only I could find something better than Acquisition
    Cabos is updated regularly and has pulled a bunch of code together from the best p2p apps - it's a freeware version of Acquisition, but without the non-responding dev. http://cabos.sourceforge.jp/
    why are you reading this?

I don't understand why people think Newsfire is so great. Is it because it's pretty? I found it really annoying and couldn't justify paying US$30 (or whatever it is) for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AusMac View Post
    Cabos is updated regularly and has pulled a bunch of code together from the best p2p apps - it's a freeware version of Acquisition, but without the non-responding dev. http://cabos.sourceforge.jp/
    Thanks. Download and tried, but I am getting a message I don't get with Acquisition...

"The JAVA software cannot be loaded".

As far as I know I have JAVA loaded.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, if I need to start another I will :o

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbils View Post
    Is it because it's pretty?
    Yep in my opinion thats probably the biggest reason. It definitely isnt because its the best rss reader IMO. I use NetNewsWire Lite which does everything and its free.

I bought Aquisition a while ago, and haven't had any activation troubles - mostly the crappy software, which is nowhere near the speed or quality of Windows P2P apps.

I find I've gone off Gnutella P2P almost completely - BitTorrent is much safer and faster, and it's not spam like half the stuff Aquisition presents.

As for xtorrent, I wouldn't both with it - Transmission is much, much better (and totally free). It's the only OS X BitTorrent app I use (on a daily basis).
    Current Macs: 2.2GHz MacBook Pro C2D I 2GHz MacBook C2D I
    Successful trades: [MREVO8]; macrob69; jerrah; simo; applecollector; tim; gpillans; alexc; lavo; chris; Brains; sexyshazam; tibook

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast