Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Out of interested, do people still use PDAs, or use use their mobiles now?

I use a Palm V daily, for work and my contacts. It's been dropped, stepped on, scuffed but still works perfectly. I use the JackFlash ROM dumping utility to give approx 3.5MB of storage space, which is more than enough. I sync it with my PC, never bothered to get a USB adaptor for OS X, probably due to the software's general crappiness.

What do others use?

JB

I use a HP Ipaq h2210
    15" Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz, 2GB RAM, Dual layer SuperDrive, 10.5
    12" PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz, 512mb RAM, Combo drive, 10.5

I use my IPOD

Its not the best PDA i must say..... But I'm not a heavy PDA type user.

Will be getting the Sony Ericsson K750i when it comes out in Aust and most probably be using that as my main pda/organiser.

Been using Palms since the Palm Pilot Professional. Now using the Tungsten T3. Very nice. Thinking about a Treo650 in future....

PDA: T2 and T3 (only using T3)
    Phone: T610

I am ordering a Treo 650 as soon as I have sold my T2, T3 and T610.

I use a Palm T Tungsten and I use it all the time with the Navman GPS.

I'm waiting for the Palm 6 devices to show up before I upgrade.

Prior to the Palm T, I had a Handspring Visor with Visorphone - that's when I realized convergent devices aren't practical yet.
    I code, I eat and I'm hungry for more.

Hi,

I use a Palm Tungsten T . I believe it keeps me organised
    and when u dont want to carry a laptop around you can always view ur docs, xcl on the the device.

I use Avantgo
    Docs to Go
    Handy Shopper
    Splash Suite
    I have zlauncher
    and some other stuff
    and i view all my photo's from my ixus 4 on my pda when im bored

As for using a phone as a pda, i dont think it does a great job compared to a pda alone. Phone Pda's are just to big .

I Had a Visor, then a Toshiba Pocket PC, i just bought a Motolola V3, it has some PDA functions, we'll see how it goes, I never could get into the groove with my PDA's, I've never found one that functions in a way to fit my demands/lifestyle . God i wish apple would roll out new newtons.

Palm Zire72 as I have to do some Palm development for work.
    Pass the crystal, spread the Tarot, in illusion comfort lies

http://www.mistfall.com/

Dell Axim x50v

I used to have a palm vx and liked it a lot, but the battery died and I kept on losing my data Never really replaced it.

My bro has a h2210 and although the hardware seems pretty nice, windows PocketPC edition is nowhere as near as nice as palmos.

I would like another PDA sometime in the future however, they are extremely handy for ebooks, notes, whatever. GPS addons are getting cheaper too. The decision would be easy if palm made decent hardware.

Currently using a Palm Tungsten|T.

I am looking to update, however, as the battery seems to be worn out. Only lasts about a day-and-a-half of normal use now (without charging), where it used to last a week. Considering a Treo 650, but need to find the money to pay for it somewhere.

I have considered dumping the PDA and just going with a phone that will sync contacts and calendar, but I do use a few other programs on my Palm which would be hard to go without. Particularly:
    - Passwords Plus
    - FileMaker Mobile
    - AvantoGo
    - eReader (previously Palm Reader)

For any other users of Palm OS devices out there, you might want to check out the Australian Palm OS Users' Group at http://www.auspug.org/.

I use a Tungsten W. It is a terrible convergence device. I can use it as a phone but HAVE to use a handsfree to answer the damn thing. As with many peoples on this forum, I'll be replacing mine with a Treo 650 as soon as I have either the money or a 1/3 deposit for Harvey Norman
    If it is hidden, it is the flower - Zeami, Noh playwright

Over the years I've tried a couple, the latest was the hp 4150. Each time it ends up shelved, as I just don't have enough pockets to carry it.

Having said that, my two great successes with PDAs are: 1 - taking the 4150 to London, and using it to navigate around the city perfectly; and 2 - integrating it with a phone in the Siemens SX45.

So anyway, I've got a couple of PDA's laying around, perhaps I should sell them...
    http://www.lilformers.com/home.php - my favoritist webcomic at this exact moment.

Originally posted by titan44@Mar 24 2005, 08:34 PM
    God i wish apple would roll out new newtons.
    Well, if this iPhone ever comes out :P

newton.. tho it's more of a geektoy.

was great on my trip overseas last year though, i wrote my travel diary on it.
    I'd rather be posting from an Apple //c

i use my phone....motorola a1000....

its pretty spiffy i must say! does everything i need it for and more that i'll probably never use!

theres a couple of extra handy features like "airplane mode" which means basically it turns off the phone part of it and lets you access all other areas...means i can watch movies and listen to music on planes

I use an x50v, upgraded from a zire 71

I had a Dell Axim X5 for about a month but I ended up selling it and getting my iBook and a SE K700i . Now i just pull out my laptop if i need anything more than my contants or calender from my phone.
    13 inch MBP :: 32Gb iPod Touch

Until it was left on the roof of the car (not by me&#33 I was very attached to my Ipaq 3600 series PDA. Rather than replacing the PDA I decided to wait until I had switched (well, switched-back actually).

12 months after switching and I have decided not to replace the PDA. Maybe once per month I find myself wishing I had a spreadsheet, but apart from that my iPod Photo is doing all I would have done on the PDA.

- contacts and calendar via iSync
    - word processor documents via iSync into the iPod notes
    - photos via iTunes/iPhoto
    - oh, and music!

I am not really missing other PDA functionality, because I don't really need them. Yes, it took a while to distinguish between "like" and "need", but I can't really be bothered carrying another gadget.
    ---
    MTAU member since 2005!
    Owner of Bags in Motion - selling urban and commuter cycling gear.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast